• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I was talking to a friend the other night and somehow the subject of hunting and carrying shotguns came up. We have two very different views and only one of us is right. Out of respect for my friend, I did not want to argue, but I said I would run it by you guys. Please help me determine who is right.

He was telling me that in Indiana, you can have a shotgun in your car, but it has to be unloaded, in a case, and separated from shells. He says he knows this to be true because "he has a friend" that was arrested for having a loaded shotgun in his car. I think he was thinking more in terms of DNR Hunting Regulations and travelling to and from hunting sites.

I said that is nonsense and you can carry your shotgun, or any long gun, in your car any way you want, even loaded. It may or may not be smart or safe, but it is legal. I also said that as long as you are legally in possession of the gun, there is no permit or license required.

Obviously one of us is right and one of us is wrong. We are both convinced. Please let me know which. If I am wrong, I have to buy him some beer.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm fairly certain he owes you a beer. I think keeping it unloaded in the trunk would only apply if he was driving over state lines and possibly on DNR property, I'm not entirely familiar with the hunting regulations. Personally I do keep my shotgun in the trunk unloaded, but I'm generally going to the range and have my handgun on my hip. Just my $0.02

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    Pretty sure the only States that would require it Unloded/Secure in trunk/ ammo someplace else, is Illinois and New York........other surrounding state will let you go with an Indiana LTC.........NOT 100% on that.

Hey enjoy the beers!!!!

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Paying for a LTCH in Indiana also includes you paying for "sporting" and "transporting" licenses to carry firearms in your car. He owes you a beer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe his "friend" was a felon. The mere presence of a long gun, loaded or otherwise, isn't cause for arrest absent other circumstances.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Paying for a LTCH in Indiana also includes you paying for "sporting" and "transporting" licenses to carry firearms in your car. He owes you a beer.

Please don't post incorrect information as fact.

The "License to Carry a HANDGUN" applies to only that, HANDGUNS. No license is required to transport or carry rifles/shotguns, loaded or not. :ingo:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i believe even pistol grip shotguns are still considered long arms, it shouldn't matter as long as its over 18 bbl length and 26" overall.. so if you're talking about a mossy JIC gun or similar.. lemme measure..

not sure where they're measuring from but from end of bbl to back of receiver is just like 25.75, and then there's the grip.

Top Bottom