• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • windhorst3187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Just wondering if anyone knew if there were any laws prohibiting me from taking my pistol with me on a trip. We're going from Indiana to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have LTC, I just don't know which states honor Indiana's gun permit. Thanks in advance.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just wondering if anyone knew if there were any laws prohibiting me from taking my pistol with me on a trip. We're going from Indiana to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have LTC, I just don't know which states honor Indiana's gun permit. Thanks in advance.

Just stay away from South Carolina...and pick up a copy of the 2013 Handgun laws book.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Make sure you know the laws. Download an app for it, or go print them out and carry them. I run myself through a little refresher before i hit the next state on what their laws are.
    Im sure someone will come along and say which appone I cant remember right now.
    Have a good time its a nice place to visit.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    You can use this PDF guide from Handgunlaw.us to familiarize yourself with Alabama law.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

You can also check out the related guide for every state along your route, if you want. But definitely, absolutely, read the Alabama one since that is where you will be.

On the topic of reciprocity: here is a map showing states that as of this writing honor the right of Indiana residents to carry a concealed weapon provided said resident possesses an Indiana LTCH.

w111101001101011011000101110010001101010011111000011.gif

Here is the source for that graphic. It also will let you select any non-resident permits you may have and show the correct graphic for that situation.
    USCCA CCW Reciprocity Info

And here is a mobile version of the website that will work on any cell phone web browser.
    Travel Reciprocity - Mobile Devices

If you have any interest in carrying openly, you should review the information at OpenCarry.org to see relevant law for each state along the way, but especially for your destination. There are a lot of good links on the page for Alabama.

Alabama | OpenCarry.org

Here is a letter from the Attorney General of Alabama concerning open carry.

opencarrymap-Nov1-2012.png

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

windhorst3187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks for all the info. I was really shocked at all the quick and detailed info you all replied with. I appreciate it. I don't want to run into any trouble on my way down there.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    Quick question about SC. My folks are taking myself, my wife, and our two boys to Myrtle Beach in about 1 month. I realize my LTCH is no good there, but it seems their law allows for non-licensed carry in glove box or center console. What I would like to know is...if I bring our handguns along with me in a locked case, and keep them in our condo the duration of the trip, would I be good to go?

strabo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    I live here in Alabama, and with your LTC, you are good to go all the way down. Just be sure to have your LTC on you when you are in your car in Alabama. We have a 'jim crow' law that says that you have to have a concealed carry permit to have a gun in the car (13A-11-73).
    We are also an open carry state, and we don't get harassed as much as we used to, but beware, we still have LEOs that either don't know the law or refuse to acknowledge it.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    We just did that car trip last fall. Gulf Shores was a blast! Make sure to eat at Lambert's, home of the "Throwed Rolls". And if you like big guns, go see the USS Alabama in Mobile.

We basically took 65 most of the way down, through Kentucky and Tennessee. As everyone has said, your LTCH will be fine all the way through.

Top Bottom