• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopGun9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    I recently concealed carry to a gathering at one of the nicest restaurants in Indy. My group was at the bar and as the night was winding down for our group around 8pm I hugged my friends goodbye and was found out for carrying. My friend wanted to see my Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm. Without thinking it through I unholstered and unloaded the gun before showing it to him at the bar. The bartender noticed and requested I put it away, which I did immediately and left. I went back to the establishment and apologized to the bartender. He informed me that I am no longer welcome and should not come back for awhile. I respected his wishes and stayed away for a month. I showed up tonight and he said I am banned for an extended period. He mentioned to my friend that I should not come back in 2013. Does he or the restaurant have the authority to ban me for any period of time for my actions?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yes they can ban you.

Its called Trespass.

Their property, their rules.

Generally speaking, never unholster a weapon in a public place. Bad form, good way to get tossed out.

If anything, be happy they didn't call the police and request you be formally 'trespassed' off the property. Doing that would legally ban you from the property. They did you a favor, said stay away for the rest of the year. What you did was pretty silly.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Private property, their perogative.

I would say that unloading and showing a firearm in a public bar is very bad form. You made a very bad choice.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    The owner of the establishment definitely has that right. And how you could ever have such a lapse of judgement I have no idea. I would assume you were drinking if you were at the bar, and guns and drinking don't go together very well. If you weren't drinking my apologies, but damn man I just don't understand how you would ever think show 'n' tell in the middle of a restaurant would be a good idea.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Your lucky you didn't get charged with reckless endangerment or something, and have your license revoked. NEVER, ever unholster in public. If someone wants to see your gun then show a picture.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    Extremely poor use of judgement. I can't say I blame them. A restaurant is not the place for show and tell. An accidental discharge why clearing the firearm would of made you the poster child for the media highlighting irresponsible gun owners.

TopGun9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Yes, very bad form on my behalf and new that quickly hence leaving ASAP and the follow up apology. The question though is can they legally deny me entry? I have been looking up regs and law codes and it seems to me that they are discriminating against me disallowing entry. (This really would not be an issue for me but my company uses this venue for events and it may effect my ability to attend important work related events)

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, pulling your gun out in a public place is never good for firearms public relations. What were you thinking?? :ugh: Your lucky some paranoid patron didnt call the police and say there is a man with a gun.

I would stay away before you get advised of trespass. And practice better gun etiquette.

Top Bottom