• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    So I wanted to cash my check and cash in a bunch of rolled coins, so I headed over to my local neighbor TCU. This is my credit union, I go to this branch 90% of the time, and they all know me there.

Okay, so as I walked in, the off duty Roseland officer working security asked me to come over to him. I walked over and he said, "Do you have a badge?"

I replied, "No, sir. Why?"

"Well, we ask that you cover it up the next time you come in. You're freaking them out. You're good for today, but next time, you need to conceal."

I said, "Is that coming from management?"

"Yes."

"Okay, well, is there a manager I can talk to right now?"

"Sure" (Motions to the manager)

The manager walks up, and the officer explains to her the conversation that has just taken place.

She says, "Yes, some of our employees feel nervous seeing the guns. If you wouldn't mind, we'd appreciate it if you cover it up."

I said, "I do mind. If you want, I can withdraw my account today, and close it. I can find another bank."

She says, "If you'd like, I can call the director of security and see what he says."

"Okay, that's fine."

She walks into her office, and comes out a few minutes later.

"Okay, so he said that there's no issue. There were just a few employees who feel uneasy around it."

"I understand that, but I will continue to carry openly."

At this point, officer CC butts in.

He says, "When I'm off duty, the last thing I want to do is have someone know I'm armed. Concealed is the key. I don't see why you can't just cover it up."

I say, "That may work for you, but not for me. I open carry, and I'm not a police officer."

He said, "I know that. That's why they're worried."

I turned to the manager and said, "So I'm good, right? There's no problem?"

"Yes, sir. you're fine."

"Okay, thank you."

I head toward the door, and turn back and tell the officer to have a happy Memorial Day.

He nodded to me, and I was on my way.

So, -1 to me for not getting names, but I honestly didn't think about it. I was too worried about having to set up a new account somewhere else.

-1 to the officer who tried to impose his opinion on me. Other than that, he was very professional.

+1 to the manager who was very friendly and helpful.

I learned a lot about how to handle the next situation, but I'm glad everything worked out. Shouldn't have any more issues with this branch.

Last edited:

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Me thinks you are being a bit stubborn. Sure you have a right to carry openly--no one is arguing that point--but---in this day and age with all the shootings going on---you are hurting all of us gun owners. Consideration for others---especially when entering a bank or credit union---is certainly warrented. Just my opinon--

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Me thinks you are being a bit stubborn. Sure you have a right to carry openly--no one is arguing that point--but---in this day and age with all the shootings going on---you are hurting all of us gun owners. Consideration for others---especially when entering a bank or credit union---is certainly warrented. Just my opinon--
    here we go again

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    So I wanted to cash my check and cash in a bunch of rolled coins, so I headed over to my local neighbor TCU. This is my credit union, I go to this branch 90% of the time, and they all know me there.

Okay, so as I walked in, the off duty Roseland officer working security asked me to come over to him. I walked over and he said, "Do you have a badge?"

I replied, "No, sir. Why?"

"Well, we ask that you cover it up the next time you come in. You're freaking them out. You're good for today, but next time, you need to conceal."

I said, "Is that coming from management?"

"Yes."

"Okay, well, is there a manager I can talk to right now?"

"Sure" (Motions to the manager)

The manager walks up, and the officer explains to her the conversation that has just taken place.

She says, "Yes, some of our employees feel nervous seeing the guns. If you wouldn't mind, we'd appreciate it if you cover it up."

I said, "I do mind. If you want, I can withdraw my account today, and close it. I can find another bank."

She says, "If you'd like, I can call the director of security and see what he says."

"Okay, that's fine."

She walks into her office, and comes out a few minutes later.

"Okay, so he said that there's no issue. There were just a few employees who feel uneasy around it."

"I understand that, but I will continue to carry openly."

At this point, officer CC buts in.

He says, "When I'm off duty, the last thing I want to do is have someone know I'm armed. Concealed is the key. I don't see why you can't just cover it up."

I say, "That may work for you, but not for me. I open carry, and I'm not a police officer."

He said, "I know that. That's why they're worried."

I turned to the manager and said, "So I'm good, right? There's no problem?"

"Yes, sir. you're fine."

"Okay, thank you."

I head toward the door, and turn back and tell the officer to have a happy Memorial Day.

He nodded to me, and I was on my way.

So, -1 to me for not getting names, but I honestly didn't think about it. I was too worried about having to set up a new account somewhere else.

-1 to the officer who tried to impose his opinion on me. Other than that, he was very professional.

I learned a lot about how to handle the next situation, but I'm glad everything worked out. Shouldn't have any more issues with this branch.

Well handled. Perfectly reasonable to offer to close your account and take your business elsewhere. +1 to you

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron

th_willy-wonka-You-must-be-new-here.jpg

One of these days I'm going to gain shooter status..

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

1: How is someone expressing his Rights, hurting other gun owners? It is bigotry against gun owners to label all of us based on the actions of a few. We shouldn't take a stand against bigotry?
    By your logic Rosa Parks was just being "stubborn"..

2: How utterly illogical is it to tell someone to cover up a gun, AFTER THEY HAVE SEEN IT? :dunno: The gun is still there, they KNOW he has it, but it is somehow less dangerous if it is covered? I have never, and will never, understand that lack of logic..

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis

:facepalm:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

You should have told the officer you had business with the CC and did not come there to be advised by him.
    I would also talk with the branch manager about the officer advising customers being part of his duties.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You should have told the officer you had business with the CC and did not come there to be advised by him.
    I would also talk with the branch manager about the officer advising customers being part of his duties.

He was instructed by the manager to talk to me the next time I came in. I don't hold that against him.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Me thinks you are being a bit stubborn.
    No, he's not.
    Sure you have a right to carry openly--no one is arguing that point
    You're arguing it right now, by telling him he's being stubborn for refusing to comply with an illogical request to cover his shame.
    --but---in this day and age with all the shootings going on---you are hurting all of us gun owners.
    How, exactly?
    Consideration for others---especially when entering a bank or credit union---is certainly warrented. Just my opinon--
    What's so special about a bank? Where was their consideration of him? Of all places, when I'm carrying wads of cash, that's where I most want to be armed.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

1. Your opinion is both unwanted and inappropriate. The officer had the same opinion as you, and I told him I don't care how he carries or what he thinks of open carry. I do what works for me.

2. How, by being polite, talking to people, and helping people, while openly carrying a handgun, am I hurting "all of us gun owners?"

3. I have served my country, I believe I deserve to live my life the way I want to. I work hard to maintain the rights we have, and I damn well take advantage of them.

4. Either you're for OC or against it. Don't tell me that there are certain places where I need to consider others. I do consider others, and if others need help, I provide that help. As a public servant, it's what I do.

5. Just wanted to say that your opinion didn't matter again. Your opinion doesn't matter.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    1: How is someone expressing his Rights, hurting other gun owners? It is bigotry against gun owners to label all of us based on the actions of a few. We shouldn't take a stand against bigotry?
    By your logic Rosa Parks was just being "stubborn"..

2: How utterly illogical is it to tell someone to cover up a gun, AFTER THEY HAVE SEEN IT? :dunno: The gun is still there, they KNOW he has it, but it is somehow less dangerous if it is covered? I have never, and will never, understand that lack of logic..

On #1, exactly. When a drunk driver kills someone, do I make all sober drivers look bad when I drive my truck in public? Is it insensitive to the victim's family to see automobiles being paraded around the street?

On #2, that's my exact thoughts. They see me every week. They all know I carry. Why does it matter?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    On #1, exactly. When a drunk driver kills someone, do I make all sober drivers look bad when I drive my truck in public? Is it insensitive to the victim's family to see automobiles being paraded around the street?

On #2, that's my exact thoughts. They see me every week. They all know I carry. Why does it matter?

It would be like someone saying "I am scared of dogs!", but feeling more at ease if you threw a sheet over it. :n00b:

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    CC on the ankle, OC at the waist. Do both at the same time. Everybody's happy, nobody has to pick a side. Right? It's like asking me to only like one part of my Oreo. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom