• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    I'm not sure how many INGO members are amateur radio operators -- there's a degree of crossover between hams and gunnies, and a lot of preppers have ham tickets these days. I've encountered reloadting gear and shooting rests at various little hamfests, and even (smallish) blackpowder cannon at the big Dayton Hamvention.

The Indy Hamfest is tomorrow (13 July) at the Marion County Fairgrounds. I was checking over the flyer and under Show Rules, it says, "ABSOLUTELY no firearms or alcohol is permitted on the fairgrounds property."

Can they do this, or is it more along the lines of a private business, where it's a request and you can be tossed out for trespassing if caught? There's an old thread here about the Marion County Fair itself being posted, which I'm pretty sure is actually preempted by State law.

Me, I'm always as good as gold and would never flout the law (well, I enjoy the hamfest a lot and don't want to mess that up) but I'm wondering if it really has any teeth.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Not prohibited by chapter
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    […]
    (10) For an event occurring on property leased from a political subdivision or municipal corporation by the promoter or organizer of the event:
    (A) the establishment, by the promoter or organizer, at the promoter's or organizer's own discretion, of rules of conduct or admission upon which attendance at or participation in the event is conditioned; or
    (B) the implementation or enforcement of the rules of conduct or admission described in clause (A) by a political subdivision or municipal corporation in connection with the event.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Funny that this post came up today. I happen to be a amateur radio operator and I attended the Indy Hamfest. While talking to a couple gentlemen, they happened to mention the gun ban on the fairgrounds. The proceeded to advise that the ban is from the Marion county fair board and nothing to do with them. Unless I misunderstand, the county fair board cannot ban from the property as a law. I do understand that if a group (indy hamfest) rents the property, it is within their purview to "ban" if they wish. But their ban is not a law and wont send you to jail but only a request to leave. Refusal would enter into the criminal trespass arena.

They said no it was a Marion county Fairground rule and one guy even said I know for sure. He proceeded to show his retired Indy State Police credentials. (not well enough to id). He said bring a gun into the fair grounds and you are going to jail! I just moved on......

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    I'm always surprised none of the food vendors at hamfests do a bacon-themed thing. ...The Indy Hamfest did have some excellent pork barbecue at the fairgrounds cafeteria, though!

Back on-topic, there's permanent gun-ban signage at the Marion County Fairgrounds. Looks like the Fair is run by a non-profit (and they can make their own rules -- not law! -- for the venue) -- but who owns the land?

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    PS: I did see several Airsoft guns, plus some DVDs or videotapes on Glock repair. (IMO, you can't fix what's wrong with Glocks -- J/K!)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    (IMO, you can't fix what's wrong with Glocks -- J/K!)

It's easy: replace everything designed by Gaston except what he borrowed from Browning with the rest of Browning's design. ;)

As far as banning guns it has been covered that as a rule it appears to hold water but certainly not illegal. Once again silly feel good bans on inanimate objects save the day. IMO if you really want to prevent crime, and I mean ALL crime then just ban people. I hear the murder rate on Mars is pretty low.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Ok, so I'm a little confused. The Hamfest rents the location, but doesn't have the "no firearms" rule themselves. The fair board has a "ban" in place, and some retired ISP dude says "goin' to jail". Is the fair board a LGE? If so, then their "rule" means squat, and that ISP guy can pound sand.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Ok, so I'm a little confused. The Hamfest rents the location, but doesn't have the "no firearms" rule themselves. The fair board has a "ban" in place, and some retired ISP dude says "goin' to jail". Is the fair board a LGE? If so, then their "rule" means squat, and that ISP guy can pound sand.

Mostly correct in the scenario. Obviously the hamfest is renting/using the fairground. Did not see any fairground signs re NO on firearms. It was printed on the hamfest flyer. But hamfest peeps said it wasnt their rule that the fairground has the rule. Would love to get clarification from fairground on their status.

councilman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Danville
    From the Indy.gov web site I found the following transfer of the fairgrounds in 1978. Appears to be a transfer from the Marion County Fairgrounds Foundation to the Marion County Agricultural & 4-H Club Fair Association (Fair Board). Now is to determine is the fair board a local governmental unit. Any attorney's out there with an opinion?

Marion, IN

Land Records Search

Search Criteria: Party Name = MARION COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS

1 Record Found

Recorded Date
    Document Name
    Last Name
    First Name
    Party Type
    Document Type
    02/28/1978
    A197800010854