Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Guns At The Indy Hamfest?

User Info Menu

No Guns At The Indy Hamfest?

I'm not sure how many INGO members are amateur radio operators -- there's a degree of crossover between hams and gunnies, and a lot of preppers have ham tickets these days. I've encountered reloadting gear and shooting rests at various little hamfests, and even (smallish) blackpowder cannon at the big Dayton Hamvention.

The Indy Hamfest is tomorrow (13 July) at the Marion County Fairgrounds. I was checking over the flyer and under Show Rules, it says, "ABSOLUTELY no firearms or alcohol is permitted on the fairgrounds property."

Can they do this, or is it more along the lines of a private business, where it's a request and you can be tossed out for trespassing if caught? There's an old thread here about the Marion County Fair itself being posted, which I'm pretty sure is actually preempted by State law.

Me, I'm always as good as gold and would never flout the law (well, I enjoy the hamfest a lot and don't want to mess that up) but I'm wondering if it really has any teeth.

User Info Menu

IC 35-47-11.1-4
    Not prohibited by chapter
    Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:
    []
    (10) For an event occurring on property leased from a political subdivision or municipal corporation by the promoter or organizer of the event:
    (A) the establishment, by the promoter or organizer, at the promoter's or organizer's own discretion, of rules of conduct or admission upon which attendance at or participation in the event is conditioned; or
    (B) the implementation or enforcement of the rules of conduct or admission described in clause (A) by a political subdivision or municipal corporation in connection with the event.
    I failed the Voight-Kampff test.

User Info Menu

^ This, but...not illegal and the only potential issue is trespass if you're "caught", asked to leave, and don't.
    Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war!
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=22482

A tactical retreat is not a bad response to a surprise assault, you know. First you survive. Then you choose your own ground. Then you counterattack.
    Lois McMaster Bujold, A Civil Campaign, 1999

User Info Menu

Funny that this post came up today. I happen to be a amateur radio operator and I attended the Indy Hamfest. While talking to a couple gentlemen, they happened to mention the gun ban on the fairgrounds. The proceeded to advise that the ban is from the Marion county fair board and nothing to do with them. Unless I misunderstand, the county fair board cannot ban from the property as a law. I do understand that if a group (indy hamfest) rents the property, it is within their purview to "ban" if they wish. But their ban is not a law and wont send you to jail but only a request to leave. Refusal would enter into the criminal trespass arena.

They said no it was a Marion county Fairground rule and one guy even said I know for sure. He proceeded to show his retired Indy State Police credentials. (not well enough to id). He said bring a gun into the fair grounds and you are going to jail! I just moved on......

User Info Menu

Damnit - the title had me all excited that it was a bacon festival or ribs or something...

User Info Menu

I'm always surprised none of the food vendors at hamfests do a bacon-themed thing. ...The Indy Hamfest did have some excellent pork barbecue at the fairgrounds cafeteria, though!

Back on-topic, there's permanent gun-ban signage at the Marion County Fairgrounds. Looks like the Fair is run by a non-profit (and they can make their own rules -- not law! -- for the venue) -- but who owns the land?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed_40 View Post
    Damnit - the title had me all excited that it was a bacon festival or ribs or something...
    I was disappointed also, thought the same.

User Info Menu

PS: I did see several Airsoft guns, plus some DVDs or videotapes on Glock repair. (IMO, you can't fix what's wrong with Glocks -- J/K!)

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobertaX View Post
    PS: I did see several Airsoft guns, plus some DVDs or videotapes on Glock repair. (IMO, you can't fix what's wrong with Glocks -- J/K!)
    Could very well be the operator and NOT the equipment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobertaX View Post
    (IMO, you can't fix what's wrong with Glocks -- J/K!)

It's easy: replace everything designed by Gaston except what he borrowed from Browning with the rest of Browning's design.

As far as banning guns it has been covered that as a rule it appears to hold water but certainly not illegal. Once again silly feel good bans on inanimate objects save the day. IMO if you really want to prevent crime, and I mean ALL crime then just ban people. I hear the murder rate on Mars is pretty low.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Marlowe
    It's easier to comply than to fight a test case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast