Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Non-Resident Out of State Permit - UPDATE!

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't seem to find it.

I currently live in Illinois. I was wondering if Indiana recognizes Out Of State Permits if a person does not reside in the state from which the permit is issued. That is, If I were to get a Florida permit and live in Illinois, would that permit be honored in Indiana?

Thanks in advance. Nice site BTW!
    Last edited by Talonap; 05-08-2009 at 18:28.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Talonap View Post
    Hi everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't seem to find it.

I currently live in Illinois. I was wondering if Indiana recognizes Out Of State Permits if a person does not reside in the state from which the permit is issued. That is, If I were to get a Florida permit and live in Illinois, would that permit be honored in Indiana?

Thanks in advance. Nice site BTW!
    Indiana recognizes any permit from any other state or country as long as you are NOT a resident of Indiana (if you're a resident, you need an Indiana LTCH).

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

ETA: Note that an Illinois FOIA is not a carry license and is not recognized as such.

Meh.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the FAST reply! So if I understand this, I do not have to be a resident of the state which issued the permit, just not a resident of Indiana...Correct?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the FAST reply! So if I understand this, I do not have to be a resident of the state which issued the permit, just not a resident of Indiana...Correct?
    I'm not a lawyer, but as I read the statute yes. It doesn't specify res or non-res for your permit. It does say you have to abide by the terms of your permit, though, but there's some question as to what that actually means. For example, Indiana is an Open-Carry state, but if your permit specifies "Concealed Carry", the prevailing opinion is that you have to carry CC.

Meh.

Marksman

User Info Menu

A good resource

Handgunlaw.us

Buckaroo

User Info Menu

Short answer to your question; yes. Get the FL, UT or PA (or any other permit) and you are good to go here.

Shooter

User Info Menu

My father, who travels to Indiana often on business, recieved an Indiana LTCH, will have to unload and case the gun for the short drive through Illinois, on his way home to WI, where he can get the the gun back out when he arrives at his property, and OC (no permit, but open carry allowed on private property). I really hope WI can make that change with the next election, but IL is like a colder version of CA sometimes. Let's keep pushing them!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the information! Just wrote to PA to find out if we can get their permits.

User Info Menu

PA LTC app. info

Thanks everyone for the information! Just wrote to PA to find out if we can get their permits.

Here you go; Centre County Government: Sheriff: License to Carry Firearm Application

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman32 View Post
    Thanks! That's the place I wrote to. Already received a reply.

"...go to www.dennynau.com and download applications as well as other information. You do need an Illinois FOID card to apply in Pennsylvania. We need a photo copy of your Illinois FOID along with a photo copy of your Illinois Driver’s License submitted with the applications.

Hope this answers your questions.

Happy Trails .....Denny"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast