• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    A question was made to me today that I could not personally answer so I bring it to light in the all knowing INGO forums. If a person (non felon) has a job with an employer that requires them to carry at work, then becomes a felon, can he still carry a firearm at work? BTW we're talking about this great state of Indiana. Thanks.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When you become a felon you lose more that most people know. I think Doctors, Lawyers, Architects and Engineers will all lose their license to practice once convicted of a felonious crime.

If your job description requires that you to carry a firearm, then you lose that too.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Can a felon carry a firearm for work?

Most "Felons" are doing time and you can't carry in there......Legally.
    But if you mean "Ex-Felons" that have already served their sentence - then the answer is still............NO.......Legally.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nope. There are no "for occupational reasons" in the firearms laws at the state or federal level. Ask all of the soldiers who got screwed out of their pensions by the Brady Bill.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Most "Felons" are doing time and you can't carry in there......Legally.
    But if you mean "Ex-Felons" that have already served their sentence - then the answer is still............NO.......Legally.
    The op's use of the word felon made sense.

fel·on[SUP] 1[/SUP]

(f
    ebreve.gif
    l
    prime.gif
    schwa.gif
    n)n.1. Law One who has committed a felony.
    2. Archaic An evil person.

adj. Archaic Evil; cruel.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The op's use of the word felon made sense.

fel·on[SUP] 1[/SUP]

(f
    ebreve.gif
    l
    prime.gif
    schwa.gif
    n)n.1. Law One who has committed a felony.
    2. Archaic An evil person.

adj. Archaic Evil; cruel.

You're right.

One a felon, always a felon unless you're acquitted or something.
    I guess if you serve your sentence, you're an ex-convict but still a felon for life.

Still the answer is - No........Legally.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Nope. His days in the armor car service are done once he's convicted. If we're talking about the same guy....

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    NO, however there are certain circumstances (although rare) that a felon could carry a firearm legally. 1 is that the member is in the military and has a court waiver to only use a firearm during military duty. With the downsizing of the military those few are probably the first to go. 2 would be someone that "had" a felony and got it expunged through the court system. Most companies that require workers to be armed disqualify anyone with felonies from applying.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So for the "special people" listed in the IC who can carry without a license, is it safe to assume that they have all gone through a background check and that none are felons?

Just curious.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    NO, however there are certain circumstances (although rare) that a felon could carry a firearm legally. 1 is that the member is in the military and has a court waiver to only use a firearm during military duty. With the downsizing of the military those few are probably the first to go. 2 would be someone that "had" a felony and got it expunged through the court system. Most companies that require workers to be armed disqualify anyone with felonies from applying.
    You forgot #(3) Someone convicted of a felony and later had their "rights" to possess a firearm restored by the state they reside in which flags all local state, city, county and FBI computers to "allow" the person to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. ;)

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    In a world where job security is pretty rare, the question that comes to mind is "What career requires you to carry a firearm yet would allow you to remain gainfully employed after being convicted of a felony?" I didn't hear about this on career day.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    In a world where job security is pretty rare, the question that comes to mind is "What career requires you to carry a firearm yet would allow you to remain gainfully employed after being convicted of a felony?" I didn't hear about this on career day.

anything .GOV, or involving NASDAQ, NYSE or investment banking? lol they are all crooks

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    A question was made to me today that I could not personally answer so I bring it to light in the all knowing INGO forums. If a person (non felon) has a job with an employer that requires them to carry at work, then becomes a felon, can he still carry a firearm at work? BTW we're talking about this great state of Indiana. Thanks.
    How exactly would it become ok "at work" if a FELON (hasnt had rights restored) CANNOT possess a firearm legally?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You forgot #(3) Someone convicted of a felony and later had their "rights" to possess a firearm restored by the state they reside in which flags all local state, city, county and FBI computers to "allow" the person to pass a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. ;)

I sort of lopped that in with the "expunged" part but yes you could have a felony and have your rights restored however not all states allow that to happen.

Top Bottom