• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I have started to conceal carry lately but I'm just nervous at the idea of having a round in the chamber. I know if I ever had to use it that seconds count, but I feel confident I could rack the slide to load a round very quickly. I've also started practicing this.

My question is: Do you carry (open/concealed doesn't matter) with a round in the chamber? Do any of you share this concern?

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    1 in the chamber all day/everyday.

I don't want to have to rack the slide if I'm in a physical stuggle at the same time I'm unholstering my gun.

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If George Zimmerman carried without a round chambered, he would be dead today. DO NOT count on having both hands free or the time to chamber a round when you need it.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    1 in the chamber all day/everyday.

I don't what to have to rack the slide if I'm in a physical stuggle at the same time I'm unholstering my gun.

True, did not really think about that. It would be hard if in a physical struggle. Still though, just makes me nervous that it might accidentally go off

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I was the same way when I started, but in my case it was because I'm wasn't sure of the pistol yet. I carry an XDm, which is a striker fired pistol. So to get over that I carried with the chamber empty but the striker cocked. Went that way for several months until I was confident there wasn't anything wrong with the pistol or problems with the holster. Since then though it's always one in the chamber.

I'm sure I won't be alone when I say this - you want to carry with one in the chamber. Without a round loaded that thing's just an expensive paperweight.

You don't want to put yourself in the position of having to remember to rack the slide. When the shock/stress of being under attack hits you your memory is pretty much going out the window. You'll be operating on reflex, so take as many steps out of the process as possible. It also opens you to the risk of the round hanging up on the feed ramp. It's not common, but it happens. Or maybe you'll find yourself in a situation where you only have one hand free (or uninjured) to operate the pistol, making racking the slide difficult if not impossible in the time you have.

Do yourself a favor and get over that fear as quickly as you can. Or if necessary switch to carrying a revolver or a true double-action pistol.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    No point in carrying if it's NOT ready :)

Like EvilElmo states, "Without a round loaded that thing's just an expensive paperweight". :rockwoot:

wizard.......condition 0 and ready to roll :D

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    You get over it with time and getting intimate with your gun and feeling how it works. Some people go in the chamber from day one, some don't.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Go with your gut. If you feel more comfortable without a round in the chamber, carry that way until you feel differently. Don't let anyone convince you to do something that you are not comfortable with. You are not less of a man by carrying with the chamber empty. The whole of IDF and many security services do it the same way.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I was the same way when I started, but in my case it was because I'm wasn't sure of the pistol yet. I carry an XDm, which is a striker fired pistol. So to get over that I carried with the chamber empty but the striker cocked. Went that way for several months until I was confident there wasn't anything wrong with the pistol or problems with the holster. Since then though it's always one in the chamber.

Actually that is not a bad idea. Carry it for a while with it cocked but without a round in chamber. As long as it remains cocked I know I did not "fire" it on accident.

By The way I'm carrying a springfield XDs 9mm

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry with a round chambered. If you don't, be sure to practice drawing and chambering. A lot. Then practice it some more. A lot more.

Oh, and use dummy rounds for this.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Always a round chambered. If you're not comfortable with it then get a better holster. Once I bought my Remora and Blackhawk holsters I was completely comfortable carrying with one in the chamber.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I was watching Burn Notice and twice in one episode Michael had his gun pointed at someone and 30 seconds later racks the slide. Why point it if it's not loaded? Silliness

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I had never even considered carrying a gun with an empty chamber. I didn't even know people did that until I joined INGO. That concept is so asinine and insane. The gun was designed to be carried loaded. Carry it that way.

This topic gets old FAST.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I didn't know that! Any insight as to why? I mean, they are obviously trained in the use of their firearms so why carry with the chamber empty?

It started several years ago when the IDF was issuing whatever guns they could obtain. Some handguns were not safe to carry chambered, so they trained everyone to rack the slide upon drawing.

Not sure why they didn't quit doing it once they had a standardized arsenal.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My question is: Do you carry (open/concealed doesn't matter) with a round in the chamber? Do any of you share this concern?

This is a pretty common question here. Mostly it is a matter of being a newbie with the firearm. Any modern firearm has multiple safeties built in to prevent accidental discharge. Some have external safeties, but even those without have internal safeties (like Glocks) to prevent them from going off when dropped or if the trigger is not actually pressed.

Here are just a few previous discussions:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/298254-rob-pincus-empty-chamber-carry.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/274830-carry-one-chamber.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/285536-chambered-not-when-carrying.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/267390-ongoing-argument-friend-wont-carry-chamber.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/242627-one-chamber.html

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I CC with a round in the chamber because of the time it already takes to draw it, this makes up for not having to rack it.

But when I OC, I keep that chamber empty so I do need to rack it. I feel its not fair to the concealed gun that the OC gun is a faster draw.
    This equals them both out and keeps them from being jealous of each other.

This is called - AAC - Affirmative Action Carry. :draw:

Just Carry a Chambered Gun

-Load the mag.
    -Insert the mag.
    -Rack the slide.
    -Eject the mag.
    -Load one more in the mag.
    -Insert the mag.
    -Holster the gun.
    -Unlock your safeties.
    -Carry on.

Or "Butterscotch Carry"