I got pulled over can the cop go in my car take my gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtGummer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2013
    NWI
    Every time I get pulled over I inform the officer that I have a license to carry and my carry gun is sitting next to me.
    They immediately have me get out of the vehicle and go in my car with out my consent and take my gun ,run the numbers run everything then completely disassemble it and remove all the bullets from my mag and put it in my trunk or place parts in various locations in my car. This has happened 3 times now.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I know on a few other forums there are huge discussions (thats the polite way to put it) about what to do in that situation. If your state doesnt require you to tell them than you dont have to. But i certainly wouldnt lie to them if they ask and i also would rather deal with that little PITA if i'm legal than having an already edgy cop all of a sudden see a gun and decide that he'll shoot first and ask questions later.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    As you exit the vehicle, take the keys from the ignition and lock the doors. The officer would have to search your pockets, confiscate your keys, unlock the vehicle and enter it. Once you are removed from the vehicle and the doors are locked, the officer no longer has RAS to believe that your firearm is a threat, especially once you produce your LTCH. (there is case law on this, but I don't feel like searching) If the officer does confiscate your keys to enter your vehicle without your permission, you can file a formal complaint with his department.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well I'm a young guy driving a sports car so I'm kinda targeted by the cops I don't tell them I have a gun until they ask.

Welcome to ingo young guy.

Next time it happens, follow their instructions but state that you do not consent to a search. When the ordeal is over, contact a good lawyer.

Never get legal advice on the internet - especially here.

BurtGummer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2013
    NWI
    What did he use needle nosed pliers? I would sue them for destroying your property.

No I carry a glock which every cop around here has so they know how to take it apart.Going to buy a highpoint 9mm as a decoy so I can watch them try to take it apart they will need a hammer and a punch lol

Top Bottom