• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I've found threads on people debating whether or not they qualify for the mental illness question on the LTCH form. However, my question is more fundamental. I have found State Code that requires health professionals to report people who are "mentally ill and either dangerous or gravely disabled". 99% of people don't meet this level. Since most people on typical anti-depressants and anti-psychotics don't meet this, this should mean that they haven't been reported. Therefore, even if you are on Zoloft, Prozac, etc, no one knows thanks to HIPAA. Since no one knows, that means you can answer "No" to the mental illness question and there's no paper trail following you.

By answering no, I'm not advocating you break the law, but follow the spirit of the law and help keep firearms out of the hands that are most likely to use them to do harm. Does anyone know, empirical evidence, that the State knows otherwise?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i believe the term 'mentally ill' in its spirit requires involuntary commitment. some else might know more on this but that is an often used litmus test.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    i believe the term 'mentally ill' in its spirit requires involuntary commitment. some else might know more on this but that is an often used litmus test.

I know of a person that used a certain prescription that literally made him/her crazy. That person went to a therapist often, and the therapist reported to the ISP that the individual should not be allowed to have a carry license. This was about 5 years ago, and through time, the individual was eventually cleared by the therapist and wrote to the ISP explaining this. That person now has their LTCH and carries everyday.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    IC 35-47-1-7
    "Proper person"
    Sec. 7. "Proper person" means a person who:

(6) does not have documented evidence which would give rise
    to a reasonable belief that the person has a propensity for
    violent or emotionally unstable conduct;

Even though "technically" they can answer no, this still is documented evidence that could cause a grey area.

Top Bottom