13 year old boy gunned down by deputies...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's difficult to say what happened. Truthfully, anyone outside of the officers may never know what really happened.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    The boy was Hispanic. My guess... He may not have spoken much English. If the officers were making demands in English, he may not have understood & ignored them.:dunno:
    Regardless of the boys reasoning, the officers used excessive force, IMO. He was a kid & from the way the article is written, He did not threaten anyone with the toy AK.
    Just my :twocents:...

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Ummm, how you figure that?

Textbook self-defense.
    O'Leary said the deputies fired several rounds from their handguns immediately after issuing the orders to drop the rifle.
    A neighbor in the area, Brian Zastrow, told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat he heard seven shots.
    "First, I heard a single siren and within seconds I heard seven shots go off, sounded like a nail gun, is what I thought it was," he said.
    The boy fell to the ground on top of the rifle, according to O'Leary. He said the deputies ordered him to move away before approaching him and putting him in handcuffs.

Pretty much sounds that way to me. But I am not a LEO & was not there as witness, either. Seems the situation could have been handled better and with-out bloodshed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sometimes the police are wrong and deserve criticism, to be sued or fired or criminal prosecution.

All the time MSN will lie to you.

From ABC News that I linked to:

Santa Rosa police said Wednesday that the deputies were on patrol Tuesday when they spotted the boy with the gun and repeatedly asked him to lower it. Instead, he raised it in their direction.

The rules of self-defense that apply to us apply to the police.

You need not know that it is a real gun. You need not wait until you are shot to defend yourself. The age of the lunatic pointing the gun at you does not matter.

Only in the Mad Hatter world of Alex Jones do these Martian rules of self-defense apply.

I'll call the police for stepping out of bounds, s**t fire, it is my job. But I will also defend the rule of law. The rule of law allows the officers to defend themselves.

Clean shoot. Textbook self-defense.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....Seems the situation could have been handled better and with-out bloodshed.

Maybe, but how were they to know it was a replica? What if it was real? Are they supposed to let him get a few shots off first?

I mean, I know 13 year olds never, ever shoot anyone.....

And Kirk, we all know the "Martian Laws of Self Defense" only apply to Cops. I really doubt that the usual suspects would be criticizing a civilian who did the same thing.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Sometimes the police are wrong and deserve criticism, to be sued or fired or criminal prosecution.

All the time MSN will lie to you.

From ABC News that I linked to:

Santa Rosa police said Wednesday that the deputies were on patrol Tuesday when they spotted the boy with the gun and repeatedly asked him to lower it. Instead, he raised it in their direction.

The rules of self-defense that apply to us apply to the police.

You need not know that it is a real gun. You need not wait until you are shot to defend yourself. The age of the lunatic pointing the gun at you does not matter.

Only in the Mad Hatter world of Alex Jones do these Martian rules of self-defense apply.

I'll call the police for stepping out of bounds, s**t fire, it is my job. But I will also defend the rule of law. The rule of law allows the officers to defend themselves.

Clean shoot. Textbook self-defense.
    AHA! Thank you. The bold text says it all. And I couldn't agree more, Kirk. :yesway:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As long as we arent dealing with another case of " the officers said 'the guy with the knife came at us and we had to shoot' then neighbor's video shows otherwise." I'm cool with this. I saw the file photo of the rifle on the ground. It looks real enough that I'd have fired too. Especially with stories like this showing up now...

IMPD searches for young armed robbery suspects - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Bad outcome. I thought all toy and replica guns in California were required to have a blaze orange device at the end of the muzzle?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just so everyone knows, the neighborhood where this transpired is hot. Lots of wannabes, SUR, LKs, MM, wanting to make bones.

Everything I have seen shows the cops acted within the law. No beef, chief.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am sad the boy got shot. I am not supporting or condeming anyone. That would be an incident that only an eye witness could judge.

One think that hag changed in my lifetime is that "real" firearms used to be easily discernable from toy firearms. Now with so many polymer firearms of every shape and size, the plastic toy guns do not look much different. The first FN 5.7 I ever saw didn't look real to me. If I had seen it on the sidwalk, I would have figured it was a kids toy. I know they shoot and function well. This factor HAS to make being a Peace officer more complicated during a stress situation.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The boy was Hispanic. My guess... He may not have spoken much English. If the officers were making demands in English, he may not have understood & ignored them.:dunno:

Unless he is mentally retarded... any 13yo in any country in any language would understand the situation quite clear.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If he pointed the pellet rifle at the officers as is now being claimed, this was a tragic but justified shoot

...if.

I've seen plenty of similar claims debunked with video or multiple eyewitness testimony. I'll remain skeptical as this certainly doesn't sound like something a "very smart and capable" young man would do when confronted with officers shouting orders in any language while pointing guns at him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, "he was a good boy".

Where have I heard this claims before?

Oh, yeah, every single police action shooting.:D

Does not matter if he was a good boy, a bad boy, a medium boy, what ever kind of boy. It matters what he did.

Does not matter if it is "just a toy", "just a training gun", "just a cell phone", "just nothing". It matters what he did.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A couple of years ago, a teenager (17 or 18) raised a paintball gun at police in my neighborhood. Got himself shot 7 times. This was behind a house that backs up to the house 2 doors from me. It was also at night. I don't know how they could have done anything else.

[edit]- turns out it was 7 years ago...time flies.

Cops: Man shot by officers had paintball gun

Top Bottom