• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Since Sept 16th 2013 here is a list of school lockdowns as a result of a MWAG. In only two of these instances was an actual crime determined. At what point are we over reacting? Where do we draw the line when it comes to a lockdown? In all instances, the premise of "better safe, than sorry" was given with an ALL CLEAR. When do we become numb to it and the lockdowns do more harm than good?

Avon Schools
    Avon bank robbery prompts school lockdown - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Vincennes
    Vincennes locked down on report of possible armed man - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Ball State
    Ball State issues all clear after alert about possible gunman - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Carmel - Orchard Park
    Lockdown lifted at Orchard Park Elementary - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Yale
    Yale on lockdown as gun report investigated - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Ben Davis HS
    IMPD investigates fatal shooting on Indianapolis west side - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

IU Southeast
    IU-Southeast lockdown lifted after gun sighting - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

to be continued I'm sure........

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I think lockdowns can potentially do more harm than good anyway. Nothing like having a bunch of victims locked in a room vs running around. Stationary targets are always easier to shoot than moving targets

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    You missed at lease one, but I can't find a source to back me up. My step father-in-law works at Lawrence North HS and said, "Where I work was put on lock down today because of person running around waving a gun in the air in a near by neighborhood. He was caught and arrested. But I guess that was his Second Amendment right to do so."

He is very left of center, obviously, and there was much debate on this facebook post about his last sentence in the post, but I would say in that case a lock-down was called for. The person was outside the school posing a potential threat, so locking down and keeping him out would be the best option.

My :twocents:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I recall in HS several bomb threats were called in. Everyone had to go in the parking lot. Eventually, they decided opening doors could trigger a bomb by the door and hurt 4-5 people, so they changed policy. Everyone (thousands) were to exit through one door and pack themselves shoulder to should under the concrete bleachers by the football field. So anyone wanting to actually do damage could just plant a bomb under the bleachers and then call in a threat. Guess how many of us just went to our cars and refused to go near the stadium!

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You missed at lease one, but I can't find a source to back me up. My step father-in-law works at Lawrence North HS and said, "Where I work was put on lock down today because of person running around waving a gun in the air in a near by neighborhood. He was caught and arrested. But I guess that was his Second Amendment right to do so."

He is very left of center, obviously, and there was much debate on this facebook post about his last sentence in the post, but I would say in that case a lock-down was called for. The person was outside the school posing a potential threat, so locking down and keeping him out would be the best option.

My :twocents:

is this it? Lockdown lifted at Lawrence Township schools - 13 WTHR Indianapolis - it's from March.

there was this one too

Lafayette
    Shooting prompts school lockdown in Lafayette - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

but that was a shooting in a nearby neighborhood. That begs the question, what's the radius where a school will be locked down when a nearby crime is committed?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    No, that was a different lock-down. The one I referred to was in November.

I see. So, back to the original thought. If a school goes on lockdown a couple times a year, at what point are they ineffective, assuming they were effective in the first place?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    i just picked a date,

You just picked a date? Well you happened to pick the date of the Navy yard shooting, so I thought you were implying that the "over reactions" since were somehow related. I apologize if I misunderstood.

I was trying to find lockdowns were "no crime" was determined. More or less a false alarm.

So you were only looking for instances which support your belief?

Wow, you've got this "INGO" thing down!! :laugh:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Now that I'm thinking more about it there was a case (or 2) at Lawrence Central HS where someone was arbitrarily spraying pepper spray in the hallways and basically causing a riot. The administration then locked-down the school and made everyone go in to the gym. While in the gym multiple fights and other riot-like activities broke out.

So I guess my point is that lock-down is a good idea sometime, but is not the "cure all" for every situation.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You just picked a date? Well you happened to pick the date of the Navy yard shooting, so I thought you were implying that the "over reactions" since were somehow related. I apologize if I misunderstood.

So you were only looking for instances that support your belief? You've got this "INGO" thing down!! :laugh:

oh brother..

as I was searching, I didn't pick a date, I searched for "lockdowns" and came up with the list. The date range from the first event back to the next was over summer break, so I left it with this school year. I'm sure the entire list is quite long.

I was looking for instances to show that more often than not the lockdown is a false alarm, and could cause more damage in the long run.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An alert was put on the campus web site telling people to trust their instincts and take safe shelter in the nearest available room and lock the door.
    They don't want people to trust their own instincts! What of someone else's instincts told them to pack heat to class to defend themselves? They want people to trust the administration bureaucrats' instincts and remain disarmed and afraid.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    They don't want people to trust their own instincts! What of someone else's instincts told them to pack heat to class to defend themselves? They want people to trust the administration bureaucrats' instincts and remain disarmed and afraid.

trust your instincts, after we've altered your brain,and taken away any useful resources.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I asked my school why we hide in the classrooms and lock the door. I said it would be very easy for someone to bust the window out in the door, turn the handle, and let himself in.

I was expelled until I could get counseling because apparently I was "disturbed". They know the logic of herding kids in a room with no real protection to just be picked off is flawed. They just don't want you to question it.

Top Bottom