I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    CARRYING ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER WILL GET YOU KILLED.

Please, please, please stop doing this. Is it honestly better to carry no gun than carry a gun that's not ready to fight when you pull it. It will get you killed. IT WILL GET YOU KILLED. The bad guys will prevail because of the head start you gave them in the gun fight. They already have the advantage of knowing when the gun fight is going to start.

I'm tired of good guys losing gun fights. So I beg you, please, please, pretty please stop effing hamstringing yourself. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to do carry with a round chambered, carry a revolver with the chamber under the hammer empty.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Negative experience or example to go with this or just out of the blue? I get tired of "preaching" this point so much

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Agreed. Now I'm curious what happened, but it appears you can't talk about it.

Thanks for the Public Service Announcement of sorts!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    We spend days researching the most reliable and accurate gun, best caliber, finding the best defensive ammunition, adding night sights, flashlights, grips, and more for our EDC's. We spend hundreds of hours at the range too. And we do this all to get every possible advantage should worst come to worst, and we need our weapon in a lifesaving situation. So why would we automatically give the attacker a two second head start by not carrying our weapon loaded? That is about the single worst thing you could do, because even a jam-o-matic Jennings 22LR loaded with target ammo that you have never shot before is likely to go bang instantly when you pull the trigger the first time.

Slamming the breaks on your car is necessary to prevent a deadly collision...can you think of any reason you would want to install a delayed braking system?

Imagine you are in a Zimmerman-like situation, where the attacker is sitting on your chest pounding your face, or wielding a knife. We know what the outcome would likely be if you drew and fired instantly. But what would have happened if it wasn't loaded??? How would you rack the slide when the attacker's arms are in between your shoulders, actively grappling with you? And what is to stop the attacker, who is already dominating you, from simply taking the weapon?

Last edited:

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    We spend days researching the most reliable and accurate gun, best caliber, finding the best defensive ammunition, adding night sights, flashlights, grips, and more for our EDC's. We spend hundreds of hours at the range too. And we do this all to get every possible advantage possible should worst come to worst, and we need our weapon in a lifesaving situation. So why would we automatically give the attacker AN ADDITIONAL two second head start by not carrying our weapon loaded? That is about the single worst thing you could do, because even a jam-o-matic Jennings 22LR loaded with target ammo that you have never shot before is likely to go bang instantly when you pull the trigger the first time.

Slamming the breaks on your car is necessary to prevent a deadly collision...can you think of any reason you would want to install a delayed braking system?

Imagine you are in a Zimmerman-like situation, where the attacker is sitting on your chest pounding your face, or wielding a knife. We know what the outcome would likely be if you drew and fired instantly. But what would have happened if it wasn't loaded??? How would you rack the slide when the attacker's arms are in between your shoulders, actively grappling with you? And what is to stop the attacker, who is already dominating you, from simply taking the weapon?

^^THIS

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Agreed. Now I'm curious what happened, but it appears you can't talk about it.

Thanks for the Public Service Announcement of sorts!

Police reports can probably be accessed through public records request if someone wants details.

I have never understood why people carry empty and then try to come up with excuses to get other people to follow their bad example. Like: but if Israeli special forces does it it must be a good idea.
    So sick of dumb people. If your dumb you get what you get. Get training!

edit: Get PROPER training. Big difference.

Last edited:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu

Please, please, please stop doing this. Is it honestly better to carry no gun than carry a gun that's not ready to fight when you pull it. It will get you killed. IT WILL GET YOU KILLED. The bad guys will prevail because of the head start you gave them in the gun fight. They already have the advantage of knowing when the gun fight is going to start.

I'm tired of good guys losing gun fights. So I beg you, please, please, pretty please stop effing hamstringing yourself. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to do carry with a round chambered, carry a revolver with the chamber under the hammer empty.

:+1: I don't understand it either but I think it's just people not being trained and having enough practice along with listening to other ignorant people. I hear people say they do this and I try my best to politely reason with them. Hopefully it's working. Also, I don't think a lot of people get a proper holster etc.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I had a buddy that always had a empty chamber, he said that when he draws the gun, he can chamber it at the same time. When I asked to witness this amazing trick he ended up shooting a hole in our union halls floor. he doesn't carry at all anymore.:n00b:

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I really wish I could get this through my girlfriends head. She won't carry with it chambered. I'm still trying to convince her and tell her how stupid it is to carry a non chambered gun.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    :+1: I don't understand it either but I think it's just people not being trained and having enough practice along with listening to other ignorant people. I hear people say they do this and I try my best to politely reason with them. Hopefully it's working. Also, I don't think a lot of people get a proper holster etc.
    Most men have an ego problem when it comes to guns. They are embarrassed to be taught anything. And since they "grew up around guns" they're an expert.
    Also people who have never been forced into a 'fight or flight' mindset have no idea the havoc it causes your brains thought pattern. They assume they will be clear headed enough to pull out that chrome 1911 take off the safety rack it yell stop or I'll shoot and save the day. The real world however isn't like the movies and when their little caveman brain takes over in a high stress moment of peril they forget how to even speak because they haven't trained or practiced not just the firearms training but the mental training to force themselves out of that tunnel vision. So adding a unloaded gun (cause that's what an empty chamber is), just adds to the fail!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I really wish I could get this through my girlfriends head. She won't carry with it chambered. I'm still trying to convince her and tell her how stupid it is to carry a non chambered gun.
    Just like men, women don't take advice well either. Especially from someone they know. Set her up for a training coarse wit Steve over at beech grove firearms, or if your not close, find one in your neck of the woods. What's better than a gift (coarse) that could save someone's life?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The one trait humans universally share is the ability to rationalize their stupid decisions. We all do it. We give ourselves a pass or try to conjure up some justification. Saying a prayer for the unfortunate souls who apparently paid a very high price for this most common of undesirable human affectations.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

Just like men, women don't take advice well either. Especially from someone they know. Set her up for a training coarse wit Steve over at beech grove firearms, or if your not close, find one in your neck of the woods. What's better than a gift (coarse) that could save someone's life?

trigger time has it right, we don't like training with our significant other. Steve @ BGF is an excellent trainer. Again, if you aren't close, someone in your neck of the woods is as qualified. Training is one of the best gifts you can give.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You would be amazed how many times someone comes in to the gun shop to buy a gun and through the course of discussion they tell me they don't plan on carrying it chambered. I have used just about every argument I can think of to convince them that they are are just hurting themselves, but some people just wont listen. Unfortunately, everyone has to make their own decision on how to carry, and if that results in their demise, it is their decision to make.

Top Bottom