• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    In january I am moving to North Carolina, and I was wondering what I need to do about my lifetime LTCH. Do I just call ISP? Will they be able to suspend it until I potentially move back to Indiana? I tried searching for some answers but came up with none. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    You still have to notify ISP of the address change in writing within 60 days, as stated on the LTCH.

Yep. I don't think anyone reads through all the laws before/while applying for their license like they should though. I find that kind of reading interesting though, so I'm on the extreme on the other side of the spectrum.

Sidenote: I didn't look up how hard it is to get a license/permit in NC, but I'm guessing it involves some form of training because of how many states accept that license/permit.

EDIT: I'm a smart cookie today... it's listed in the link I posted...

1. Complete an application, under oath, on a form provided by the sheriff's office;
    2. Pay a non-refundable fee of $80.00; and
    3. Allow the sheriff’s office to take two (2) full sets of fingerprints, which may cost up to $10.00;
    4. Provide an original certificate of completion of an approved handgun safety course; and
    5. Provide a release authorizing disclosure to the sheriff of any record concerning the applicant’s
    mental health or capacity. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.13

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    yea and you have to renew every five years, or at least thats all I have been able to find, no mention of a lifetime permit anywhere, and from what I understand its Concealed Carry Only

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    yea and you have to renew every five years, or at least thats all I have been able to find, no mention of a lifetime permit anywhere, and from what I understand its Concealed Carry Only

Very few states issue a lifetime license/permit.

We're lucky here in Indiana.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Not really.
    if you are not an Indiana resident, your LTCH is no longer valid.
    iirc, you can reinstate it if you move back to the state.

Actually according to the letter one member here received, it is good for a lifetime no matter where you live. There is another thread here on it including the letter the member recieved from the Indiana State Police stating that he simply needs to update his address and it still remains valid. The real question would be does the other state honor a non resident type permit. Some states specify they will honor a non resident permit unless you live in that state. I'm guessing they want the money. An example is Florida issues a non resident permit. If you live in a state that does not issue a CCW permit and get a Florida non resident permit they will honor it in Indiana. Some states specify that even though you posess the non resident permit, if you move to their state they insist you get one in that state. If this is the case, your Indiana would be valid in all states that honor a non resident permit, also Indiana any time you are in Indiana.

Moving out of state thread here.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state-3.html

Last edited:

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    That'd be nice but i'd have to get a North Carolina permit anyway because they don't honor Indiana's because we aren't required to have training or take a class or whatever.

Actually according to the letter one member here received, it is good for a lifetime no matter where you live. There is another thread here on it including the letter the member recieved from the Indiana State Police stating that he simply needs to update his address and it still remains valid. The real question would be does the other state honor a non resident type permit. Some states specify they will honor a non resident permit unless you live in that state. I'm guessing they want the money. An example is Florida issues a non resident permit. If you live in a state that does not issue a CCW permit and get a Florida non resident permit they will honor it in Indiana. Some states specify that even though you posess the non resident permit, if you move to their state they insist you get one in that state. If this is the case, your Indiana would be valid in all states that honor a non resident permit, also Indiana any time you are in Indiana.

Moving out of state thread here.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state-3.html

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    That'd be nice but i'd have to get a North Carolina permit anyway because they don't honor Indiana's because we aren't required to have training or take a class or whatever.

I understand, many states do require you to get a permit in their state. I simply wanted to correct the rumor that your Indiana permit goes inactive after you move out of state. Your Indiana LTCH is still active where states honor the license. If the state you move to does not honor it for any reason including being a resident of that state, it does not make the Indiana LTCH inactive in Indiana or anywhere else it is honored.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Concealed Handguns Reciprocity

Other States' Permits Honored Here

Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state.

Of course, more than likely once you become a legal resident of NC, you WILL have to get their Permit, but you should be GTG to carry there in the interim..

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    You might check with your new state, even after you become a Florida resident, they honor your Indiana LTCH for a short period to give you time to get one of theirs. I believe it is 90 days but check for yourself to be safe. Other states may have a similar law to give you a grace period to use your old permit.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Luckily, INGO has a FAQ that answers this exact question:

What happens if I move?
    You need to inform the Indiana State Police within 60 days of your address change. They won't send you a new license with your new address unless you also pay $20 for a new copy. Your old license will still be valid, provided you've notified the ISP of your address change. Here's a link to the form:
    http://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=6643 (it's a PDF, but at this time it doesn't seem to download as one. Just open it with your favorite PDF reader.)
    Or call the Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing Section at 317-232-8264.
    Also, INGO member Dwight called and spoke with Megan at the above number in re: his daughter living at college and keeping her address of record at his home. He was told that as long as she can receive mail there, she can list it as her address.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/showth...81#post2441781

What happens to my Lifetime LTCH if I move out of state?
    INGO member CountryBoy19 called the ISP and asked them. There are special provisions for military deployment as their residency may still technically be in Indiana, but for civilians, you notify the ISP of your new address and your license will be "deactivated". If you move back to Indiana, you can have it "re-activated" without going through the license process again.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_...tml#post355104

Note that (except in certain specific cases), your Indiana LTCH is only valid while you are actually a resident of the state, so once you move you won't be able to use it to carry.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Luckily, INGO has a FAQ that answers this exact question:

Note that (except in certain specific cases), your Indiana LTCH is only valid while you are actually a resident of the state, so once you move you won't be able to use it to carry.
    I know you love to play the "FAQ card", but in light of recent correspondence by an INGO member with ISP, the FAQ appears to be incorrect. This was discussed earlier in this thread and the original thread was referenced.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fetime-ltch-moving-out-state.html#post4591875

Top Bottom