• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do people usually not get in trouble for pulling a gun and then not firing it? Obviously in this instance that was the case. I was always under the impression that doing something like that could put someone on pretty thin ice. Ideas?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do people usually not get in trouble for pulling a gun and then not firing it? Obviously in this instance that was the case. I was always under the impression that doing something like that could put someone on pretty thin ice. Ideas?

It depends.

Depends on the totality of the circumstances, the individual/s involved, and the jurisdiction.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.

There is a point where time slows down as the event unfolds. If as you draw, the BG stops his draw, or turns and runs, you've stopped the threat and are possibly headed towards an unlawful homicide if you shoot anyway. I've drawn before two robbers could draw when they attempted to rob a store I was working in. They took off running and we didn't pursue.
    I've drawn and fired, drawn and not fired. On another forum, I described an incident when the wife and I both had two cops under our control while we determned who was who. The situation was awkward, to say the least when they said they were cops, but well handled according to the LEO's we were holding guns on. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?
    t=537803&page=4

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I am not a car-jacker but if I were, Jensen would not by on my "hit list." I guess I am stereotyping but he doesn't look like a guy I would want to mess with. (and I say that in the nicest way possible, he actually kind of looks like a couple of my good friends, and I wouldn't want to mess with them either.)

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A car load of 'gangastas' almost ran over the foreman at hwy speed in an alley (18th&meridian). The driver added insult to attempted vehicular homicide (get out'ta way u stupid mo-fo) and the foreman ran after them waving his fist in the air, screaming obscenities like a drunken sailor. The driver stood on the brake and 4 heads popped out of the car, saying 'u talkin bout me u mo-fo? I'll cap yo ass'. Being 15' in the air in a fiberglass bucket, with no where to go, I just hunkered down and drew my pistol. The apprentice jumped behind a dumpster on the opposite side of the alley and drew his snub .38. The thugs saw they were triangulized and got small. The foreman called an unscheduled cigarette break.
    We didn't call the PD, not being able to positively ID the vehicle and it's occupants, and didn't think they'd call either. In hindsight, I think we should have and that the PD probably wouldn't have done anything to us.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The dufus tried to carjack the wrong car and won the stupid prize for his efforts. Would love to have seen the look on his face when he saw the gun pointed at his head. :draw: :yesway:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    He basically made a citizen's arrest.

This. You pull your heater/roscoe/mohaska, you shouldn't be in trouble if the crime, if committed to it's fullest extent, would have needed reasonable force, including deadly force, to terminate unlawful entry into your occupied motor vehicle. Someone comes up to my door and starts trying to pull the handle, yes, they are going to get a face full of Glock. If they take off, shooting at them is homicide (you cannot use force on someone terminating the interaction). If they continue to pull the handle or start breaking auto glass, up to you at that point.

We never read about the stories of people using firearms (firing or not firing) to save themselves b/c it's boring to the mass media. They prefer "minorities killed by drunken hillbilly" style stories because it riles up racial differences and makes people question the society around them, rather than focusing on the actual problem.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Cops draw and point their guns all the time while making an arrest or confronting a criminal in the act of committing a crime. Luckily they often don't fire. They do this for their safety so why should citizens defending property or life, as permitted by law, be any different?

handyman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    muncie
    A car load of 'gangastas' almost ran over the foreman at hwy speed in an alley (18th&meridian). The driver added insult to attempted vehicular homicide (get out'ta way u stupid mo-fo) and the foreman ran after them waving his fist in the air, screaming obscenities like a drunken sailor. The driver stood on the brake and 4 heads popped out of the car, saying 'u talkin bout me u mo-fo? I'll cap yo ass'. Being 15' in the air in a fiberglass bucket, with no where to go, I just hunkered down and drew my pistol. The apprentice jumped behind a dumpster on the opposite side of the alley and drew his snub .38. The thugs saw they were triangulized and got small. The foreman called an unscheduled cigarette break.
    We didn't call the PD, not being able to positively ID the vehicle and it's occupants, and didn't think they'd call either. In hindsight, I think we should have and that the PD probably wouldn't have done anything to us.
    A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN THE WHOLE DAMN POLICE FORCE ON THE PHONE!!!

Top Bottom