Reid Henrichs - Back up Guns (3-part video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This is a solid 3-part video series by Reid Henrichs of Tactical Response. It appears to have been filmed during the lecture portion of one of their courses.

***SOME LANGUAGE***

[video=youtube;hsW18fpZ3Jg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsW18fpZ3Jg[/video]

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    So two guns, 4 mags, two knives, a flashlight... Anything else I'm supposed to carry? It is faster to draw a second gun than reload? Who are you fighting against!? If I can't win a fight with 31 rounds, I probably picked the wrong fight. I can see maybe a B.U.G in your vehicle, but two on your person seems a little excessive to me. I like Reid, his information is always spot-on... But this is a stretch for the average person. He raises some great points to take into consideration, but I'm not buying it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So two guns, 4 mags, two knives, a flashlight... Anything else I'm supposed to carry? It is faster to draw a second gun than reload? Who are you fighting against!? If I can't win a fight with 31 rounds, I probably picked the wrong fight. I can see maybe a B.U.G in your vehicle, but two on your person seems a little excessive to me. I like Reid, his information is always spot-on... But this is a stretch for the average person. He raises some great points to take into consideration, but I'm not buying it.

Carry what you feel comfortable with.
    But, when your EDC fails on the range, and needs a gunsmith, you might rethink the BUG.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Carry what you feel comfortable with.
    But, when your EDC fails on the range, and needs a gunsmith, you might rethink the BUG.

Like I said, I have a B.U.G in my truck, and a stash of ammo for each. I'm already well prepared for a scenario that will more than likely never happen, now I have to prepare for a scenario within a scenario by carrying a second gun on me? I have tested my G19, I keep it in great condition, and I trust my life with it. Should I wear two seat belts? Two condoms? I get the argument, but what situation, other than a broken firing pin, would realistically require two guns? How many shoot outs do you see happening? If society takes a turn for the worse, maybe. It is just my uneducated opinion, carrying two may make you feel safer if you are planning on battling an entire gang with no help. Reid knows more than I do, I just think this is a stretch trying to talk the average guy into carrying two firearms.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Like I said, I have a B.U.G in my truck, and a stash of ammo for each. I'm already well prepared for a scenario that will more than likely never happen, now I have to prepare for a scenario within a scenario by carrying a second gun on me? I have tested my G19, I keep it in great condition, and I trust my life with it. Should I wear two seat belts? Two condoms? I get the argument, but what situation, other than a broken firing pin, would realistically require two guns? How many shoot outs do you see happening? If society takes a turn for the worse, maybe. It is just my uneducated opinion, carrying two may make you feel safer if you are planning on battling an entire gang with no help. Reid knows more than I do, I just think this is a stretch trying to talk the average guy into carrying two firearms.

Having had my trigger fail mechanically, I think I'll carry a BUG.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Your choice.

How fast can you access, draw, and present your gun with your non-dominant hand?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    He He he said two condoms...........................guess you never been to the Turkey farm outside of Tong Du Cheon have you?

P.S. I assume people pay for this BUG class?!?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I can't watch the videos right now but I remember one he did on the range about back ups awhile back. I still raise the BS flag on drawing a second gun being faster than a reload...in the older video he did he was carrying his BUG OWB on his weakside. How many people actually do that? When we carry BUGs we carry them in a pocket or ankle or somewhere that is typically more concealed than our primary. Unless you are digging a spare mag out from somewhere weird a reload will be quicker than dropping your primary and retrieving a deeply concealed back up.

ETA: took the time to watch the videos now. He didn't address the reload thing in this video series, he did in a previous one. Definitely made some excellent points and did well going over the pros and cons of different carrying positions.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't watch the videos right now but I remember one he did on the range about back ups awhile back. I still raise the BS flag on drawing a second gun being faster than a reload...in the older video he did he was carrying his BUG OWB on his weakside. How many people actually do that? When we carry BUGs we carry them in a pocket or ankle or somewhere that is typically more concealed than our primary. Unless you are digging a spare mag out from somewhere weird a reload will be quicker than dropping your primary and retrieving a deeply concealed back up.

People who have actually considered this, tested their carry method on the range, and revised it so that they can acquire their support side weapon quickly and efficiently. Not everyone buys a j-frame and a pocket holster, drops it into their pocket, and then forgets about it.

As to whether or not a second gun is quicker than a reload, it depends on too many factors to say yes or no. As you suggested, mode of carry plays a huge role, but that goes for how spare mags are carried too. Quite a few people use pocket carry for spare mags, which while it may be convenient, it's not going enhance reload speed.

If you only have one hand available, a second gun can definitely be quicker (assuming it's accessible to that hand). Reloading with one hand takes a while, even if you practice it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Your choice.

How fast can you access, draw, and present your gun with your non-dominant hand?

Faster than you. :) Actually, that is probably not true if you're coming out of the appendix position. Either way, not nearly as fast as I'd like if I really needed to do it. Maybe 4-5 seconds from holster to well-placed shot drawing with left hand from 3:30-4:00 on my belt. I do not carry a back-up gun but I do practice a left-hand draw enough to gain some proficiency.

Looking at my real risk for needing a gun, and the further reduced liklihood that my primary gun will not solve the problem, I don't necessarily think there is enough risk in my life to drive me toward carrying a back-up. That being said, if I did I'd look for a single-stack 9mm and keep it in a deeper concealment position using it more for something to carry in less-permissive environments (like work), and add my regular gun on top of it in more permissive environments.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't carry a BUG, but I have invested in one or two, including LH holsters. I train with the BUG and without, weak hand only.
    My next plan is for sole carry of my Jframe in a LH holster around my property and woods/water carry.

These are skills one does not pick up quickly or at the last minute. The most likely, real world, application for me is the injury of the strong hand. A work or home related traumatic injury could literally leave you defenseless if you are not ahead of it.
    There are others if you search, but this INGO thread comes to mind: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/305794-shooter-down-temporarily.html

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    A question I have after watching that video: Reid said that one purpose of a BUG is to arm someone else. If you are in a gunfight and you have your buddy with you, and he doesn't have a LTCH, would arming him with your BUG get him a felony charge for carrying a handgun without a license?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom