• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    This morning I had my son in the back of the Jeep and I was driving in a school zone in Carmel. I was with some traffic and I was driving about 27mph. I didn't get far and saw some blue and red lights a few cars back. I had a bad feeling. It was me he was after. I rolled down my window rested my arm on the door and gripped the steering wheel with my right hand.

He asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said I must have been driving too fast in the school zone. He said I was driving without my headlights, just fog lights. (Not long before I had dropped my daughter off at the sitter and I clicked my main lights off as to night flood the babysitter's house with light. I had forgotten to turn them back on.)

After he told me why he pulled me over, he asked for my license and registration. I had my wallet handy and removed my DL, revealing my CC permit (on purpose). He asked if I had a gun on me. I said "yes." He asked where. I said "my right hip." He said OK. I then got my registration from the glove box and handed it to him.

I got a warning for no headlights and told to have a nice day. This was my first time being pulled over in at least 10 years and my first time since I began to carry. I took the Hamilton County Sheriff's Citizen's Academy class a couple years ago and it was very helpful for me to decide how to conduct myself for the best result as well as understanding what kind of awful **** can happen during traffic stops.

Nevertheless, I hope it'll be another 10 years at least....

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    Congratulations on a non eventful event. It sounds like all parties involved respected the role of the other party, and everyone got to continue their day no worse off than before the police interaction.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    Congrats indeed. No reaction on carrying is nice to hear, but I'm really shocked you got off with just a warning for the headlights! I've been operating on the assumption they ticketed every time they flipped the lights on. My wife's family lives in Hamilton county and its about the only place in the U.S. I seem to get tickets. haha. Guess I'll have to revisit my driving habits. Stay safe.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Yes, I agree. There was respect both ways and nobody's day was ruined. I assumed I would probably get a ticket, but it worked out and I'll make sure to check my lights.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did they instruct you in your class to approach the topic of carrying with an officer by revealing your carry permit to them in this manner? I ask because I've always been much more blunt about the topic when being pulled over. I usually just tell the officer that I'm carrying and the location of the loaded handgun and then state that my license is in my back pocket and that I will be reaching into the glovebox to remove my registration (I do this with my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel). This has seemed to work for me but I'm curious if they instruct to approach the topic in a different manner.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    You said you revealed it on purpose so I assume you wanted to see how the officer would react. (I have absolutely no problem with that and now I think about I would most likely reveal my permission slip as well since I keep it directly behind license.)

I'm glad that you had a good experience and +1 for the Carmel police!

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    With a radar trap on every other street and a camera at every intersection, Carmel scares me. I drive through there with a white flag on my antenna (if I had an antenna). If stopped I will probably plead to every crime ever committed by mankind. Then throw myself on the mercy of the court as a serial confessor.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    With a radar trap on every other street and a camera at every intersection, Carmel scares me. I drive through there with a white flag on my antenna (if I had an antenna). If stopped I will probably plead to every crime ever committed by mankind. Then throw myself on the mercy of the court as a serial confessor.

Keep in mind that the dress code for court in Carmel is black tie.

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    Sounds like you had a very good experience and glad to hear it. You never know these days. I've been carrying for about 10 yrs now and I've had plenty of good and bad. I always prefer the good lol.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm glad things went well.

I got stopped by a State Police trooper last fall for speeding on U.S. 30 by the Deep River Water Park. I was carrying at the time. He didn't ask, I didn't tell. I got a warning. No muss, no fuss.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I'll never understand why anyone would volunteer information to the police. I have a tire tool under the seat too but I'm not gonna mention it because it's not relevant to the conversation.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'll never understand why anyone would volunteer information to the police. I have a tire tool under the seat too but I'm not gonna mention it because it's not relevant to the conversation.

That's my opionion now. My first time I was disarmed after I was made to remove all my buwetts from my pistol and my gun rode back to the police car in the officers waist band, before it was returned to me (I told the nice man I had a revolver in the glove box). Hey, I just realized that my Ruger SP101 has been in a cop car. (Will this help the resale value?).

Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    Agreeing with one comment made...first time i was stopped while carrying, I wanted to see the officers reaction and make sure I handled it correctly. The guys here in Carmel and over in Westfield are pretty cool about legally armed folks...IMPD on the other hand

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Hmmm.... as I recall, a gentleman by the name of Andy had someone stick his Ruger down their pants.... don't remember if it affected resale value... :D

But it WAS one of the all-time best threads on INGO.... Maybe it depends WHERE in the officer's waist band he stuck it??

Top Bottom