• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thanks to another thread, the subject of the importance of EDC flashlights has come up. Flashlight guys, what brands, features etc. should we look for in an EDC light? I need a list so I can go shopping.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Thanks to another thread, the subject of the importance of EDC flashlights has come up. Flashlight guys, what brands, features etc. should we look for in an EDC light? I need a list so I can go shopping.

Get the most lumens you can afford. Steer clear of the hardware store variety and go with SureFire, etc. I have a 50/200 lumen SureFire as an EDC.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Get one with variable power outputs. You may want all 8,000,000 lumens to blind a troublemaker, but if you need to use it to illuminate something you need to see clearly, it can be blinding. You may need it if your car breaks down, or your power goes out, or you're looking for something you dropped in the grass. In those situations too much light can make it hard to see clearly.

dwain

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Along the Wabash
    I like Olight. For me they are the best quality, for the price you pay. Go to Battery Junction and check them out. They offer many different brands also, and are a good company to deal with, in my experience.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Surefire LX2 Lumamax. 15 lumens on low, 200 on high. Not too high to really blind yourself off of white walls and such, but bright enough to disorient someone. Also, the tailcap is my favorite feature, which is press and hold halfway for 15 and all the way for 200. Turns off when you let go, a nice tactical feature. Don't want to get stuck going through strobe mode when trying to hide your location. Twist for constant on. I haven't seen many tailcaps with this feature. Works well under stress cuz you just mash it down and let go when you want it off.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I'm going to throw this out there, and maybe get flamed for it.

First, buy the Cadillac light that the others recommend. Then, get about 10 or 15 of these Mini Cree's and spread them around everywhere. One in every room, garage, car, desk at work, wife's purse, etc. No, they're not perfect quality; sometimes you'll get one where a switch won't work, or it will break quickly. And they take a couple of weeks to ship from China. But they're so cheap that you almost can't go wrong with them.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a surefire eb2 backup...500 hi and 5 lo...its awesome. its light and small and has good run time...Fenix makes some good stuff too as well as streamlight.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Get one with variable power outputs. You may want all 8,000,000 lumens to blind a troublemaker, but if you need to use it to illuminate something you need to see clearly, it can be blinding. You may need it if your car breaks down, or your power goes out, or you're looking for something you dropped in the grass. In those situations too much light can make it hard to see clearly.

I actually approach that from a different angle. When I need my light for a defensive encounter I don't want to wonder what setting it is on. That is why I carry two. One for defensive use, and one for everyday tasks.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Light on my nightstand = Surefire LX2

EDC/work light = Surefire E2DL

Light in wifes purse = Streamlight Polytac

My Dad's EDC = Streamlight Protac

I got to play with some Fenix light tonight. I might pickup a couple. Price seems right. I liked the E11 (I think that was the model)

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    I'm very happy with carrying my streamlight Pro tac 2AAA in my weak side rear pocket next to my wallet. As it uses AAA batteries it is slim, and the batteries are easy to find and cheap. Sitting beside my wallet, the wallet keeps it positioned in the same place all the time. It has high, low, and, strobe.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Any light light from Fenix. Pick one according to how many lumens/features you want.

This. I have 1 Surefire, and 4 different Fenix flashlights. The Fenix are about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost, plenty rugged, completely reliable, and super-freakin' bright.

I love my PD35 & PD32 UE. Use the money you save vs. the Surefire and get some Fenix brand rechargable 18650 batteries and a charger. Amazon sells them in a package deal; check site advertiser LED Warehouse too.

I bought 4 batteries (as stated, I have several lights). I don't use the lights constantly, but I can say that 1 of those charged far outlast a pair of the Surefire cr123a batteries under my "normal" usage.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I actually approach that from a different angle. When I need my light for a defensive encounter I don't want to wonder what setting it is on. That is why I carry two. One for defensive use, and one for everyday tasks.

That's a good idea too. The light I carry starts on the brightest setting first. I can then hold the power button down momentarily to switch to the lower settings. That way it's always on bright when I hit the button but can be dimmed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For a EDC role I think the type of battery is important too.
    I use mainly lights that only take AA batteries.It's easy to find anywhere and it makes for a small and compact flashlight.
    You can even find some good lights powered just by one single AAA.

Sure one single AA or AAA wont produce 2000 lumens but do you need the light for search and rescue operations or to for common EDC tasks in the city (find your keys on the ground, find your way out of a dark building, look at eletrical panels at home ... etc.)?

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I'm going to throw this out there, and maybe get flamed for it.

First, buy the Cadillac light that the others recommend. Then, get about 10 or 15 of these Mini Cree's and spread them around everywhere. One in every room, garage, car, desk at work, wife's purse, etc. No, they're not perfect quality; sometimes you'll get one where a switch won't work, or it will break quickly. And they take a couple of weeks to ship from China. But they're so cheap that you almost can't go wrong with them.

You should try this one also. Silver Cree. I have a few other Cree's, but the brightness on that one blew me away.

Top Bottom