• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Just a hypothetical, but I've been curious about this. What is the procedure for dealing with a traffic stop when you have LTCH & have gun in car, or on your person? I was told at a gun class you shouldn't have your LTCH in view to your driver license. This could cause a standard stop to be escalated if they see you have a permit. Do you wait to say anything until asked? I'm guessing you would want to tell the cop there is a gun in the glove box before opening it to remove registration....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Most folks inform if something is going to cause the officer to see it (glove box example or if asked to exit the vehicle while carrying holstered.) Some inform up front even though this is not required in Indiana.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I wondered this myself, and came up with the idea of informing the officer when it became necessary. If the gun was in the glovebox, I'd let him know before I retrieved my registration that I have a permit to carry, and my gun is in the glovebox. If asked to step out of the vehicle while carrying on my person, same thing.

Just my preference, and a matter I consider courteous...I'd rather not surprise an LEO with a firearm they weren't expecting to see, and I'm sure they'd appreciate that. Then again, the only time I've been stopped, it was on my person and I never left the vehicle, so it never came up.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    1. State of Indiana does not require you to notify police that you are carrying or in possession.
    A. Some forewarn the officer with statement such as "I have a license to carry, I have my firearm in XXX location how do you wish to proceed?"
    B. Some don't say anything unless they felt it was necessary to notify
    C. Go about it how you wish.

I personally judge the character/attitude with the LEO first, sometimes I go with A. sometimes B.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just a hypothetical, but I've been curious about this. What is the procedure for dealing with a traffic stop when you have LTCH & have gun in car, or on your person? I was told at a gun class you shouldn't have your LTCH in view to your driver license. This could cause a standard stop to be escalated if they see you have a permit. Do you wait to say anything until asked? I'm guessing you would want to tell the cop there is a gun in the glove box before opening it to remove registration....

This is my :twocents: based on 3 'real-life' experiences.

If I am ever pulled over and am armed myself or have a firearm in the car/truck, I tell the LEO first thing.

I don't even give him the chance to say "good afternoon" first. As he's walking up to the car, I simply say "Before we get started, I just want to let you know I have (either 1 or 2) firearms in the car, they are loaded and I have a license."

Nope, I don't have to do it. But I do for 2 reasons, one of which is a no-brainer. First, make the LEO feel comfortable, cuz he's GOING to be ******/nervous if he sees is without you telling him.

Second, in my 3 situations (all within the past year) I received warnings each time. The conversations went like this:

"Sir, I appreciate you being honest and forthright about the firearms, I'm just going to give you warning today."

Now, one stop was initiated for 69/55. I had no seatbelt, drivers license on me (wallet was at home - copy of LTCH in glove box), and I was speeding.

Second was 72/55 on Hwy 41 around Terre Haute, where LEO was travelling in opposite direction and made a U-turn in the grass median to come back to get me.

Third was 71/50, also on Hwy 41 north of Vincennes. Same thing; U-turn in median.

Now, while this isn't something to brag about, I used to get pulled over on a regular basis for speeding. It's been my experience that going 15 or more over the limit, or the fact that LEO has to hit the grass to turn around to pull you over, you're likely getting a ticket for something.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I'll tell you this; you're less likely to raise eyebrows and **** of LEO if you tell them up front about your gun(s).

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm not a criminal, as such unless I'm doing something very stupid I don't believe I would notify.

As for the glove box issue....that is why I always have my papers ready.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Indy
    I've thought about this as well. Personally I think it's a matter of safety. I plan to inform immediately. If I'm ccing, reach for my wallet and he/she catches a glimpse I certainly don't want there to be a misunderstanding...especially one that ends with me looking at the business end his weapon while we clear things up.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I was pulled over recently on my way to work at about 4:00 am.
    I was going to inform the officer that I was a permit holder and had a firearm on my person when he asked for my license.
    Before I was able to do this the officer politely asked if I had a firearm with me.I said that I did,he asked me where it was ,I told him and he again asked me very nicely to hand it to him slowly and I did.He then asked for my license and permit.
    A few minutes later he came back handed me a warning and my weapon ,told me to slow the hell down (he was right) and sent me on my way.
    My question is how did he know that I had a permit?
    Did it come up when he ran my plates?
    I don't know maybe some LEO on here could let us know
    I will always inform the officer if I am carrying . I don't know if you have to it just seems like a common courtesy to me.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have an NRA life sticker on my truck... chances are they already suspect a gun... either way out of proffesional curtousy i am going to tell them i have a firearm first... even if it leads to a bad experience i would rather play it safe... plus i have nothing to hide because i am legal, so why not tell the officer?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Absolutely they 'know'. When the run the plates, theres a check mark.

I would volunteer the information, for courtesies sake at least.

Actually, there isn't a check mark. The only way I know you have a permit is
    1) I see it when you open up your wallet to get your license
    2) You tell me
    3) I run your name and DOB through the case request system to check the ISP database.

When I was a cop in Tennessee there actually was a notation on DL responses that said if someone was an LTCH holder. I have yet to encounter that in Indiana.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Actually, there isn't a check mark. The only way I know you have a permit is
    1) I see it when you open up your wallet to get your license
    2) You tell me
    3) I run your name and DOB through the case request system to check the ISP database.

When I was a cop in Tennessee there actually was a notation on DL responses that said if someone was an LTCH holder. I have yet to encounter that in Indiana.

Yes, this is how they find out. I am taking a class with my local PD and this subject came up. The officer said the only way for them to find out is by running your info in the ISP database. They might do this before they pull you over, they usually will follow you a while and run your plate, and possibly throw that info into the ISP database.

Back on tipic, I will volunteer the information. They have a stressful job and never know what they are going to encounter when they pull someone over. I want to make them feel as comfortable as possible, and maybe they will return the favor and just give me a warning.

Top Bottom