• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    We are going on an family vacation this week to St Louis. I am pretty sure I am ok in St. Louis I just wasn't sure about getting there. With the new laws in IL how can you travel with a firearm with in the means of the law. Any help would be great. Thanks

dsears

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indiana
    Big J, If you have a smart phone the app Legal Heat is among the best for staying informed about other states gun transport laws. Not preaching but it is your responsibility to know the laws of the States you travel through.

To answer, I have a copy/paste for IL:
    Non-Resident With a Permit: Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. If the non-resident leaves leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Also, if pulled over you are required to inform the Officer that you are carrying a weapon. IL is very restricted on where you can carry.

Safe travels.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Illiinois State Police web site used to have on their website, in their FAQ's a response to this question of out of state residents and fire arms. It was something to the effect that you could, as long as you were in your car/truck/etc. carry your firearm. But if you got out, you had to secure it out of site inside your vehicle. My link no longer works and a quick check didn't turn up the response in their new FAQ's. Maybe somebody will be along and be able to provide the verbiage.

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I was thinking that the laws in IL had changed and were a little better. I always have trouble finding new laws.

Thanks so much.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I don't think is must inform without being asked as I understand it is in Michigan. I believe you must inform if asked in Illinois, but you don't have to bring it up.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Big J, If you have a smart phone the app Legal Heat is among the best for staying informed about other states gun transport laws. Not preaching but it is your responsibility to know the laws of the States you travel through.

To answer, I have a copy/paste for IL:
    Non-Resident With a Permit: Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. If the non-resident leaves leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Also, if pulled over you are required to inform the Officer that you are carrying a weapon. IL is very restricted on where you can carry.

Safe travels.

Everything in your post is correct with the exception of informing. You do not have to inform the officer immediately, but you must inform if asked.

Top Bottom