Good 'gun box'/safe with simplex style lock? For the nightstand/beside the bed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys!

I'm trying to find a good safe with a mechanical lock that's quick-access to put next to the bed. I'm currently using a GunVault but I've lost faith in it due to some issues with it [Google GunVault issues - you'll find similar encounters to mine].

That said I'm looking for something like this: Amazon.com : V-Line Top Draw Security Case (Black) : Gun Safes And Cabinets : Sports & Outdoors

I've no issues spending good money to get a good dependable box. Most importantly is that I want the lock to be dependable/reliable for the long-haul. Last thing I want is for an intruder to be breaking into the house and the locking mechanism on my gun box keeping me from my firearm due to a defect/failure. That said I will have two lock boxes [one for each side of the bed] so in the event one fails I will have a backup but I'd prefer not to waste time in the event the firearm is really needed.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Hey guys!

I'm trying to find a good safe with a mechanical lock that's quick-access to put next to the bed. I'm currently using a GunVault but I've lost faith in it due to some issues with it [Google GunVault issues - you'll find similar encounters to mine].

That said I'm looking for something like this: Amazon.com : V-Line Top Draw Security Case (Black) : Gun Safes And Cabinets : Sports & Outdoors

I've no issues spending good money to get a good dependable box. Most importantly is that I want the lock to be dependable/reliable for the long-haul. Last thing I want is for an intruder to be breaking into the house and the locking mechanism on my gun box keeping me from my firearm due to a defect/failure. That said I will have two lock boxes [one for each side of the bed] so in the event one fails I will have a backup but I'd prefer not to waste time in the event the firearm is really needed.

Anybody have any recommendations?

:dunno:.......slide'a thing under yer pill'a.......an' yeah.......I do jus' that.......:):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I have the Stack-On too. I would not recommend it if you need it to do anything other than keep a toddler out. The battery died quickly leaving me reliant on the key which is not ideal for a bedside safe. Plus you can crack it with a paper clip.

[video=youtube_share;YA-g-BNTCtE]http://youtu.be/YA-g-BNTCtE[/video]

The Fort Knox is a much better quality safe, and so much easier to activate under stress.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    This is what I went with for my car safe. Also it was the cheaps place I could find it. Fort Knox Pistol Box - FREE SHIPPING - Gun Safes America

Here are some pics of mine.

Also here is the other one that I like too.

Jay (or anyone else who might know) - Do you know if the Fort Knox front opening box pictured above and here (Fort Knox Personal Pistol Box - Gun Safes America) has a spring loaded door? I've been thinking about mounting something similar to that on the wall beside my bed, but I would need to mount it vertically with the door up. I was concerned with being able to get the door open when mounted this way.

OP - Sorry for the semi-thead jack.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Jay (or anyone else who might know) - Do you know if the Fort Knox front opening box pictured above and here (Fort Knox Personal Pistol Box - Gun Safes America) has a spring loaded door? I've been thinking about mounting something similar to that on the wall beside my bed, but I would need to mount it vertically with the door up. I was concerned with being able to get the door open when mounted this way.

OP - Sorry for the semi-thead jack.
    Yes it is a spring loaded door but the spring is not strong enough to open it on its own when unlocked vertically. You would have to swing it open yourself but the spring is strong enough to keep it open for you.

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    +1 to the Fort Knox top-opening safe posted above. I have one in my nightstand and it is great. It's small enough that it fits inside my nightstand, but large enough for 2 compact handguns and a few mags.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I went ahead and ordered two of the Fort Knox swing-open styles like you have mounted under that counter. I'm not planning on mounting them down to anything as the goal, at this point, is not to prevent theft but simply to keep my children safe.

The option to mount them is nice though.

I'll probably be looking at getting a larger safe for rifles/valuables - been looking at Fort Knox for that as well I really like the dual electronic + dial lock [in case the electric has issues/dies/fails/EMP/wwhatever].

I looked at Johson as well but I'm not sure if they offer a dual-locking mechanism I'll have to see.

Thanks for the help guys :).

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I went ahead and ordered two of the Fort Knox swing-open styles like you have mounted under that counter. I'm not planning on mounting them down to anything as the goal, at this point, is not to prevent theft but simply to keep my children safe.

The option to mount them is nice though.

I'll probably be looking at getting a larger safe for rifles/valuables - been looking at Fort Knox for that as well I really like the dual electronic + dial lock [in case the electric has issues/dies/fails/EMP/wwhatever].

I looked at Johson as well but I'm not sure if they offer a dual-locking mechanism I'll have to see.

Thanks for the help guys :).
    That safe weighs 22 pounds by it self. I would at lest use some double sided sticky tape so some one does not pull it down on them.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You need to bolt it to something. I say this from recent experience. We had a home break in last month and I lost 2 handguns, 150 rounds of JHP and a good holster because the thief walked away with my pistol safe that was not bolted down. :facepalm:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm not getting this to keep it safe from burglars [ordering a large Johnson safe for that most likely, been discussing our options with them via email]. Using them only to keep the guns out of the hands of our children.

I'm sure any parent that has had their child killed or had their child kill somebody due to them having access to a firearm would pay ANYTHING to undo that. Being responsible we're taking steps to make sure that does not happen.

By the time our children are old enough to sit and guess the passcode - they'll know full well the dangers of the firearms and that they're not toys [i.e. going to the range, teaching them, having them clean the firearms with us - taking the mysticism out of them].

For security from burglary - I'm going with a real TL-30+ rated safe.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Fort Knox are good boxes, you might also look at Shot Lock. ShotLock Shotgun Vault :: ShotLock.com

Biometric safes are the absolute last place I would ever store a defensive handgun. High end biometric readers (that cost more than the safe itself) will work...biometrics on a $200 safe, not as good as they should. Add other factors like sweat or blood and I don't see them opening up for you when you really need your pistol. :twocents:

seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    The "BRUTE" made by v-line looks like the best pisol box currently on the market. I am in the process of ordering one now. They are hard to find because they sell quick. priced around 220, plus shipping(roughly $30)

[video=youtube;mwQqxPEhsek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwQqxPEhsek[/video]

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Top Bottom