• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PrinceofPeace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2014
    Evansville
    Good Morning. Without getting into too much unneeded detail, I am looking for some guidance re: obtaining a LTCH post misdemeanor convictions expungement. My attorney has sent the court order granting the expungement to the IN State Police (although I have not yet heard from the ISP confirming sealing my misdemeanor convictions). I understand that law enforcement, DHS, FBI (and a few other government entities) still have access to my "sealed/expunged" record. Based on my last sentence, does anyone know if I can obtain an Indiana LTCH? If so, what steps must I take to begin the process? What do I include on the application? In other words, although my misdemeanor record is to be sealed, law enforcement can still see the convictions. So, do I indicate that I have never been convicted of a misdemeanor per the court ordered expungement/sealing of my record or do I disclose the misdemeanors convictions? I appreciate the feedback and apologize if I have created a post that has been answered elsewhere. I have searched the site and have found several posts that partially address my situation but they don't answer all of my questions.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Good Morning. Without getting into too much unneeded detail, I am looking for some guidance re: obtaining a LTCH post misdemeanor convictions expungement. My attorney has sent the court order granting the expungement to the IN State Police (although I have not yet heard from the ISP confirming sealing my misdemeanor convictions). I understand that law enforcement, DHS, FBI (and a few other government entities) still have access to my "sealed/expunged" record. Based on my last sentence, does anyone know if I can obtain an Indiana LTCH? If so, what steps must I take to begin the process? What do I include on the application? In other words, although my misdemeanor record is to be sealed, law enforcement can still see the convictions. So, do I indicate that I have never been convicted of a misdemeanor per the court ordered expungement/sealing of my record or do I disclose the misdemeanors convictions? I appreciate the feedback and apologize if I have created a post that has been answered elsewhere. I have searched the site and have found several posts that partially address my situation but they don't answer all of my questions.

I would contact one of our resident lawyers. Kirk Freeman, Houghmade, Tactical Firearms Training (Guy Redford)..

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Once the records are sealed, I thought you are allowed to say there haven't been any convictions (even though LE could look it up anyway), but hopefully one of the friendly neighborhood attorneys will be along shortly to assist.

Welcome, and good for you working to clean up your record.

PrinceofPeace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2014
    Evansville
    Once the records are sealed, I thought you are allowed to say there haven't been any convictions (even though LE could look it up anyway), but hopefully one of the friendly neighborhood attorneys will be along shortly to assist.

Welcome, and good for you working to clean up your record.

Thank you for the reply. I hope one of those friendly attorneys you mention comes along as well. And thank you for offering kudos for cleaning up my record. While I have never been in trouble with the law, prior to what I describe above, my criminal actions were the direct result of medically prescribed corticosteroids. Just FYI, if you are ever on the receiving end of a prescription of that family of drugs, be very aware of the dangerous, serious and life-threatening potential side effects they can pose.

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    You'll be fine, if your records are sealed/expunged/etc etc, you can simply check the "No convictions" box, and shouldn't have an issue.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Prince, it is in your best interest to contact your attorney regarding these questions.

The restrictions are on felonies and any domestic battery. As long as your conviction isn't related to domestic battery, you should be okay.

There are other convictions and non-convictions which can disqualify an individual from a LTCH, e.g. Resisting Law Enforcement as a misdemeanor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You'll be fine, if your records are sealed/expunged/etc etc, you can simply check the "No convictions" box, and shouldn't have an issue.​

Please understand that Indiana's new "a little pregnant" expungement statute is FAR different than the old true expungement statute.

It depends. Call your attorney today and go over this.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You can check NO on felony conviction but I'd think yes on the lower Misdemeanor if it's just sealed unless that's the same as expunged

Application_for_Handgun_License_-_2014-09-03_11.39.07.png

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There are other convictions and non-convictions which can disqualify an individual from a LTCH, e.g. Resisting Law Enforcement as a misdemeanor.

Hmmm. Can you tell me where it is documented?

Edit: The key disqualifiers are listed in IC 35-47-2-1(c) and IC 35-47-2-3(g). Unless I'm missing something, resisting law enforcement isn't included.

Last edited:

PrinceofPeace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2014
    Evansville
    Please understand that Indiana's new "a little pregnant" expungement statute is FAR different than the old true expungement statute.

It depends. Call your attorney today and go over this.

My understanding is that my record is not truly expunged per the new law but rather sealed from all but law enforcement (supposedly only if during job duties), DHS, FBI, the courts if necessary... So it's not "gone"/expunged. Just sealed from public view more or less.

PrinceofPeace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2014
    Evansville
    You can check NO on felony conviction but I'd think yes on the lower Misdemeanor if it's just sealed unless that's the same as expunged

View attachment 31528

That is certainly tricky because the new law uses expungement and sealed synonymously. While my record is said to be both sealed and expunged, it is really sealed from public view but available to law enforcement, courts, DHS, FBI. Quite the quandary.

Top Bottom