• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    My wife went to the Allen County public library tonight for a presentation on autism. She said there were 'No Guns' signs, a metal detector and an armed security guard at the entrance. She had to go back to the car & disarm. Is the library really a gfz?:noway:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was under the impression that a Library was not legally allowed to be Gun Free under the Preemption Bill passed a couple years ago..

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I carry into my local library (Indy) about once/week. They do have detectors at the door, but they have not gone off when I passed through. I'm pretty sure those are for library materials.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I thought last year, they made it legal to carry in libraries in the state of Indiana. I know people who have been carrying there all there time, there's no "no gun signs" in any of the libraries in my county.

Speaking of Allen County, I found this article. Not allowed to ban guns, library sets down limits | The Journal Gazette

The article makes it sound that the library staff know their bounds.

My wife has been shooting for the better part of 10 years now, but is just getting comfortable carrying. I think there is a part of her that feels like she is doing something wrong when carrying - I know that she is very concerned about unwittingly carrying in a GFZ - she may have seen the guard & freaked out...of course, my tin foil hat stories may have made her paranoid...:tinfoil:

I'll update the post after she returns...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I thought last year, they made it legal to carry in libraries in the state of Indiana. I know people who have been carrying there all there time, there's no "no gun signs" in any of the libraries in my county.

Speaking of Allen County, I found this article. Not allowed to ban guns, library sets down limits | The Journal Gazette

OK, that was an interesting read -

Effective immediately, patrons may bring a handgun onto library property or into a library, but only if they provide a valid permit. Any person carrying firearms must provide proof of license upon request to library personnel.

Ya, I can see that going over well.
    Can you imagine the librarian demanding to show her your LTCH?

She'd have to be Smokin Hot.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Many CC at the Allen County Public Library. OC would be very unwise as it would just stir up the hornet's nest. Tell the misses to CC and go about her business.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, that was an interesting read -

Ya, I can see that going over well.
    Can you imagine the librarian demanding to show her your LTCH?

She'd have to be Smokin Hot.
    A librarian asking to see my LTCH? I think the answer to that is, "SSSHHHHHHH!!!":woot:

Another way to put it, I don't ask to see a librarian's Masters of Library Science, they don't ask to see my LTCH and we'll get along just fine. Actually, that seems like the thing to do if it ever comes up.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Ok, just spoke to DW...metal detector, no...library materials detector, yes. :ugh:

Armed guard? She believes so, but her paranoia may have gotten the best of her. Small town life has gotten to her, I guess.

Nothing to see here, move along...:tumbleweed:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Many CC at the Allen County Public Library. OC would be very unwise as it would just stir up the hornet's nest. Tell the misses to CC and go about her business.
    Why? If I'm obeying the law, I now have to worry if I'm obeying it enough?

And ask for a LTCH? Maybe when they show me their badge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Incorrect. You should take the time to read the placard located outside the bathroom doors. ;)

PFFFFF! Read? Why on earth would I want to read? Yeah, right. Library. Gotcha. :):

Thanks for the tip. I just made the assumption since it appears to be part of school property.

Top Bottom