• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Ok who are the three people who lost their .380 at the Indy Airport this month?

Seriously though, I don't understand how you could accidently forget that you have a firearm with you.

Http://blog.tsa.gov

also, I find it interesting they differentiate between "loaded and round chambered"

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't understand how you could accidently forget that you have a firearm with you.
    I guess because when it's second nature to you to have it, you give less thought to getting rid of it.
    I'd have said the same thing about live ammo...until I flew home from FL with .223 in my pocket.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If it's second nature that you always have it, the sight of the metal detector should cause you to pause!

i think it's the occasional carry crowd that sometimes carries, but not really and they forget where they last left it. To me in that case if the SHTF these are the people who would run away and a month later go, oh, man, I could have shot back I forgot I had a gun on me!

to me that's more dangerous.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I saw that also, then started reading the blog. WTF people??? I'm about 4 pages in and amazed at the stuff that people put in their carryons (then proceed to get confiscated).

So, who's gonna fess up to losing their LCP with laser from IND last week?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    How many violations is a knife shaped like a gun?
    LOL
    Does that count as one unloaded gun and a knife?
    TLH%2B-%2BTLH%2B-%2BJFK.JPG

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Seriously though, I don't understand how you could accidently forget that you have a firearm with you.

I've had a few cases like this. Mostly distraction, e.g.:

Going to bathroom, instead of leaving pistol in holster like Kirk on INGO told you, take pistol out of holster and put in laptop bag. Get on plane several weeks later and pistol is discovered.

You know those Kenny Tarmac guys who are continually, I mean continually, on the phone because they are so important? We just landed. Yacking on phone and forgetting about pistol on belt. Hang up the phones people.

8 year old who wants to "help" daddy by putting speedloader into carry on.

This happened to me, not knowing that ammo had rolled under liner in a well-used range bag, which was checked. Yep, about 2 dozen or so mixed rounds in the range bag had rolled under the liner.

Did not know they were there. After Indianapolis Airport Authority and TSA talk to me, an airport worker gave me a small cardboard box. I scooped up the loose rounds and gave them to TSA. "Are we done?" They said yes, and I made my plane to Texas.

Check your range bags!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What concerns me is at BOS on two separate occasions they found a box cutter blade concealed in the lining of a carry-on bag, and on another, .22LR rounds sewn in to the cuff of a shirt. That kind of stuff is not accidental.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    What concerns me is at BOS on two separate occasions they found a box cutter blade concealed in the lining of a carry-on bag, and on another, .22LR rounds sewn in to the cuff of a shirt. That kind of stuff is not accidental.

Well sure it is. Distraction, e.g.:

while working as a seamstress, you're sewing a shirt for a customer. Customer comes in for a measurement and has rounds on him. He sets them on the table so you can measure. Everyone forgets they are there and they get sewn into the garment.

kinda like a DR leaving sponges in patients! :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    1) I travelled to germany and back last year with a single round of .45 ACP in my carry-on. Found it when unpacking.

2) I think I'm more surprised that most of the firearms found are found without a round in the chamber.

and one question: If you get 'caught' with a firearm that you just forgot about, do you loose it? or can you get it back? take it to car? etc

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    When we flew to Phoenix over fall break, we had carry-ons dinged on both flights. On the flight out, one carry-on had a small camera tripod that they flagged (it went in checked baggage on the way home). The TSA guy chuckled when they discovered what it was, no idea what they thought it might be on the xray. On the way back, my wife's purse got flagged because my son had got a small felt bag full of rare earth magnets at some shop in Scottsdale, and it showed up pretty dark and solid on the xray screen. The guy in PHX even showed us the xray picture he was looking at to see what it was. Both times, TSA was very pleasant and professional and only took a minute or two to do what they needed. It was also done right at the end of the checkpoint conveyor, so we weren't really inconvenienced in any way.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    1) I travelled to germany and back last year with a single round of .45 ACP in my carry-on. Found it when unpacking.

2) I think I'm more surprised that most of the firearms found are found without a round in the chamber.

and one question: If you get 'caught' with a firearm that you just forgot about, do you loose it? or can you get it back? take it to car? etc
    I think that will be the last time you see it.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    That looks like a size medium. I wear an XL

IF THE VEST DOESNT FIT? YOU MUST ACQUIT!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    OTOH
    I have always been given a chance to reclaim any knives I have forgotten about.
    I think I have been caught with a knife 2 or 3 times during my travels,
    I have lost a little black buck 2 blade knife and a leatherman micra.
    Nothing over $30.
    That little buck knife was great though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I have been able to have my clients' firearms returned after the cases were resolved. I had to drive out to the Indianapolis Airport Authority HQ to pick up the guns. Man, that place is desolate. (NOTE: all the prosecutions I have been in have been state level).

As for myself, I gave the ammo to TSA. I did not even bother to retrieve it.:D

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    OTOH
    I have always been given a chance to reclaim any knives I have forgotten about.
    I think I have been caught with a knife 2 or 3 times during my travels,
    I have lost a little black buck 2 blade knife and a leatherman micra.
    Nothing over $30.
    That little buck knife was great though.

I recently flew home from KC and after checking my bag, declaring my firearm, and getting my boarding pass, I decided to have an adult beverage while waiting to board. As I was sitting in the bar, I reached into my pocket for my phone and realized that I had forgotten to pack my EDC knife in my suitcase, and it was one of my best SOG's. There it was, clipped to my pocket. I panicked for a minute and then decided to turn it in to the PD rather than the TSA. The airport LEO offered to take it in as a "lost item" and told me I could call them tomorrow and see if it had been "found". I did and they mailed it back to me.

I haven't made that mistake again.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I recently flew home from KC and after checking my bag, declaring my firearm, and getting my boarding pass, I decided to have an adult beverage while waiting to board. As I was sitting in the bar, I reached into my pocket for my phone and realized that I had forgotten to pack my EDC knife in my suitcase, and it was one of my best SOG's. There it was, clipped to my pocket. I panicked for a minute and then decided to turn it in to the PD rather than the TSA. The airport LEO offered to take it in as a "lost item" and told me I could call them tomorrow and see if it had been "found". I did and they mailed it back to me.

I haven't made that mistake again.

:+1: Indy Airport PD.

I've tried to make sure to take a padded mailer envelope, postage, and a couple of return address labels with me in carry-on such that if TSA didn't like something I had, and my bag was already checked through, I could simply mail the object to myself.

Obviously, this would not work for firearm or ammo, but it would for most anything else I'd care enough to make sure got home.

I don't know this to be true, but I'd imagine most people, even TSA, as long as you're not acting really nervous or like a total rectal orifice, they'd be cool with you just sending whatever it is home, so long as it stays off the plane. No risk, no blood, no foul.

Obviously, this is not something you want to go out of your way to test, however.

Blessings,
    Bill

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When I when to pay my land taxes (You know, that punishment you get for owning your own property :( ) I forgot I had my 640-3 in my pocket. I got just inside the door and had a OGS moment. I backed out, went back to locked it up in the car. While doing I I felt like everyone was watching me do it. I hate leaving my gun behind! And I hate leaving home without it.

I can see how complacent we can get. Now normally the county city building would be a OK gun zone but because St Joesph County court is connected to the building it's a no go. I carry 100% of the time. It's in my pocket right now :) I gotta pay more attention.

Top Bottom