Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Raising Canes has got some good chicken fingers. Always stop when I go through Louisiana. I was super excited when I heard they had opened up a couple of spots in the Louisville area recently. You best believe I'm stopping by on my next trip down that way.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Quoted from a separate thread, but very much MDA fail-worthy:

Another little pasture dumpling from the anti-2A crowd. I was listening when she said this, and in my best Joe Wilson imitation shouted "YOU LIE!" at the monitor. I didn't realize at the time that she's the president of the Texas chapter of MDA.

[video=youtube_share;iO6lrx-4gYg]http://youtu.be/iO6lrx-4gYg[/video]

She says that the "data set" of crimes by Texas CHL holders is unavailable and completely locked down, and that claims that CHL holders are responsible and law-abiding are "conjecture" and "anecdotal."

By law, ever since the CHL was instituted in Texas, the Texas Department of Public Safety is required to publish each year the numbers of CHL holders convicted of crimes, and this is published on the DPS website. https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/reports/convrates.htm. The first year of published data is 1996, and the latest is 2012 - that's 17 years' worth. There is no excuse for someone involved in the political issue of guns in Texas not to know this, so yeah I think she is a liar or simply does not care what the truth is.

Unsurprisingly to anyone with half a brain, Texas CHL holders are convicted of crimes at a rate far, far below the general Texas adult population (a fraction of 1% for any year recorded). For the latest year available, 2012, out of 584,850 CHL holders, there were only 120 convictions for any crime whatsoever.

In fact, for either the previous legislature or the one before that, one of the Texas State Rifle Association compiled the conviction rates of Texas Peace Officers (now there's a data set that's generally unavailable - it took some persistent open records act requests to get it), and it turns out Texas CHLs are convicted at about half the rate of Texas Peace Officers.

For MDA to spout off like that at a Senate hearing is loathsome. Unsurprising, but loathsome.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Was she under oath? Did she commit perjury?

The chair announced at the beginning that all witnesses should consider themselves under oath. So yes I think she committed perjury. I think it unlikely that anyone will pursue it officially though among all the other stuff that has to get done during the legislative session. I am sure all the senators on the committee instantly knew she was blowing smoke, the CHL conviction rates have been briefed to the Legislature many times.

Top Bottom