• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Well, I had yet another fine example of why CO's should be able to have their private weapons in their vehicles while the vehicle is just sitting on state ground where we work.

I was driving home from work on the 9th, going down scatterfield in anderson. I had stopped on the south end of town, looking for some cupcakes for my son's birthday. I was going to hit another grocery on the north end of town, which is on the way home. I was driving through a green light and had a van pull out 15 feet in front of me from a yield turn. My Reaction was to just flick my brights. The van pulled out smack dab in front of me and then stayed in my lane of travel, in a four lane situation. I hit my brights, and suddenly the van realized that there wasn't much distance between us and got over, and sped up. I passed by in the slow lane. The van had a female passenger and a male driver, unknown if there were kids in the back, because the windows were tinted. I kept driving. I was talking to my dad, who shares my son's birthday, wishing him an early birhtday since this was 6 am. I traveled a little under a mile after this incident and I pulled into the left lane with plenty of room, probably a 1/4 mile between me and the van. I had to get over for the grocery coming up on the left. The van sped up, and started flashing me. I didn't think anything of it, because I was getting off the road to go to the grocery. I noticed the van was tailgating me into the parking lot and pulled into the handicapped spot next to the place my DAV gold plate lets me park. I rolled down the window, wondering if there was a tire going flat or something and maybe this van was being a good samaritan. I often flag down people with gas caps open or whole tail light banks not working, and pass the word so that they can be safe. I asked the driver if he was OK. He actually started yelling at me and calling me a bi&c@ ass CO, and complaining about me flashing him, because he had a yield sign and all, and then started to get out of the vehicle. He came over to my truck window and I was still on the phone with my dad, so I told him this might go south and I would like at least an audible witness. I had never seen or met this former convict at any of the facilities that I worked at. I was going through my mind what I could possibly protect myself with, and came up with BUTKISS... I can't use my OC spray from work, and I don't have a gun to use, because the parking lot law has an exemption for Penal Facilities. We will get fired, no questions asked, if the administration finds out we are breaking this policy. So, I began to get pissed off about it, and I told the guy, who was yelling at me and pushing on my passenger door, and shoving my window, that this wouldn't be a good idea today. I only had a framing axe, and I doubt that him being a pissed off former felon that had road rage would have qualified me for use of a framing axe in hand to hand. He got really pissed off, and shoved my truck and told me how big of a bi@c% I was because I was a CO and I was so afraid of inmates on the street. I was pissed, because I have had to smash little f@ckers like him, for the state for over ten years. I didn't want to get out of the truck and have a fight. Not on my son's birthday. I just wanted to buy some cupcakes.

I ended up talking to my dad for about an hour after I got home, working down the adrenaline dump. I then decided to call my state reps and leave messages for them describing the incident and how innappropriate it is to have us as CO's dealing with the armpits and buttholes of society, with no means to defend ourselves from road rage, because I was in uniform... and the state legislature, that sees fit to thumb their noses about a federal no gun zone for indiana schools, can't protect people in harms way.

If you are a power plant employee, I'm sure you can sympathize with me. If you are a state DOC, You know exactly what I'm talking about.

My disclaimer, before I get fired for ranting about a parking lot exemption for penal facilities. I don't represent the Indiana DOC in any way and am not discussing any work related issue. This is an outside of work issue that follows home anybody that wears a uniform to and from work.

So, My question, after the incident, is why should I not have the same inalienable rights that every other state citizen has? I didn't take an oath of enlistment, and I am not a sworn peace officer. I am just an employee. Somehow, the 2nd ammendment of the federal constitution and the 33rd article of the indiana State Constitution don't apply. How is it that I am a second class citizen, even after Military service?

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Don't **** off other drivers by flashing your lights. You acknowledge you don't have any way to "defend" yourself, why did you instigate the situation in the first place?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Simple: the car should fall under castle doctrine, regardless of where it is. No need for messy exemptions or prohibitions. Anyone may carry a firearm in their vehicle. Problem solved.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I fail to see how any of this has anything to do with you being a CO.

He was probably wearing the uniform on the way home.

OP- Don't draw attention to yourself in ANY way especially if you're unarmed. Maybe change before leaving work if you're unwilling to keep a weapon in the car and risk getting fired.

Bob

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Does the Prison have the "right" to search your vehicle while in the lot? With or without you present?

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I have one birth certificate & eventually will have one death certificate. I have & have had several jobs in between those two. I can always find another job, but this life is the only one I have. I have carried where prohibited, do carry & will carry, or, I just won't go where I can't if at all possible.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I fail to see how any of this has anything to do with you being a CO.

I was a Corrections Officer 15+ years ago. In a nutshell, the job entails dealing with the scum of the earth every single day, and you will inevitably **** people off. This includes inmates AND families that come to visit. It's the nature of the job. I had the luxury of working the job before Facebook and other social media, and EVEN THEN, the inmates knew who I was, where I lived, what I drive, etc. within a week of starting the job. Fast forward to today when it's incredibly easy for anyone to do a little googling and find out everything about a person. Now add the fact that there will be people locked up that the CO knows from outside, old high-school buddies who were your friend once, but now are an inmate and more than willing to tell the whole place about your life. Other CO's can be bought for various reasons, or other CO's may even be gang members with a clean record who just got the job to help out their criminal buddies. No one, not even your fellow CO's can be trusted. You are solely responsible for watching your own back at all times.

That being said, Inmates eventually get let out. CO's will eventually run into these guys again someday. I know I have on multiple occasions. I've had ex-cons recognize me while out shopping, at gas stations, what have you. I've been followed while out driving. I had one encounter which almost turned into a fight because it was a guy I'd disciplined multiple times and ended up getting a few more years added to his sentence. I remember being at an Old Country Buffet one time, and one of the line cooks yelled "Count time!", which sent a shiver down my spine like you wouldn't believe. I just recently made eye contact with another one at a gas station a few months ago. At any rate, a CO will get recognized by former inmates on the streets, and whether or not the encounter is positive or negative is a coin toss.

He was probably wearing the uniform on the way home.

OP- Don't draw attention to yourself in ANY way especially if you're unarmed. Maybe change before leaving work if you're unwilling to keep a weapon in the car and risk getting fired.

Bob

I highly recommend not wearing the uniform outside of work. The guy in the OP's story may have just seen the uniform and not even known who he really was. Pretty much any ex-inmate or family member may have an axe to grind with the system in general, and the uniform represents that system. It may as well be a target for any angry individual who is mad at the system.

There is still a risk though. A former inmate or family member of one who wants to personally do you harm already knows who you are regardless of what you're wearing. Especially in these times like I said above. A few minutes on the internet and anyone can find out all sorts of stuff about you.

Even 15 years after leaving the job, I keep my head on a swivel at all times. I still take a different route home every day, I constantly look over my shoulder, and I NEVER go anywhere unarmed.

I agree with the OP that something needs to change.

Last edited:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I was a Corrections Officer 15+ years ago. In a nutshell, the job entails dealing with the scum of the earth every single day, and you will inevitably **** people off. This includes inmates AND families that come to visit. It's the nature of the job. I had the luxury of working the job before Facebook and other social media, and EVEN THEN, the inmates knew who I was, where I lived, what I drive, etc. within a week of starting the job. Fast forward to today when it's incredibly easy for anyone to do a little googling and find out everything about a person. Now add the fact that there will be people locked up that the CO knows from outside, old high-school buddies who were your friend once, but now are an inmate and more than willing to tell the whole place about your life. Other CO's can be bought for various reasons, or other CO's may even be gang members with a clean record who just got the job to help out their criminal buddies. No one, not even your fellow CO's can be trusted. You are solely responsible for watching your own back at all times.

That being said, Inmates eventually get let out. CO's will eventually run into these guys again someday. I know I have on multiple occasions. I've had ex-cons recognize me while out shopping, at gas stations, what have you. I've been followed while out driving. I had one encounter which almost turned into a fight because it was a guy I'd disciplined multiple times and ended up getting a few more years added to his sentence. I remember being at an Old Country Buffet one time, and one of the line cooks yelled "Count time!", which sent a shiver down my spine like you wouldn't believe. I just recently made eye contact with another one at a gas station a few months ago. At any rate, a CO will get recognized by former inmates on the streets, and whether or not the encounter is positive or negative is a coin toss.

I highly recommend not wearing the uniform outside of work. The guy in the OP's story may have just seen the uniform and not even known who he really was. Pretty much any ex-inmate or family member may have an axe to grind with the system in general, and the uniform represents that system. It may as well be a target for any angry individual who is mad at the system.

There is still a risk though. A former inmate or family member of one who wants to personally do you harm already knows who you are regardless of what you're wearing. Especially in these times like I said above. A few minutes on the internet and anyone can find out all sorts of stuff about you.

Even 15 years after leaving the job, I keep my head on a swivel at all times. I still take a different route home every day, I constantly look over my shoulder, and I NEVER go anywhere unarmed.

I agree with the OP that something needs to change.

Being an ex-CO sounds worse than being a former LEO living in the same city with many of the people he helped to put away, and I suppose that because of the daily association with inmates, it is.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Being an ex-CO sounds worse than being a former LEO living in the same city with many of the people he helped to put away, and I suppose that because of the daily association with inmates, it is.

I can't speak for LEO's but I'd bet it's about the same as far as getting recognized by people they've dealt with. Just my opinion, but I'd also bet there is a higher chance of negative encounters with CO's as opposed to LEO's since LEO's can arrest them again and CO's cannot. Any Police Officers out there have a story or opinion on this? Please share!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Difference being that you were prohibited by your employer.

OP is prohibited by law.

I know. Same idea of better fired and alive than dead, though. I understand why the law exists but disagree with denying right of possession in the car entiely.

Also, the OP is subject to getting his car searched.
    I have the same situation, though not in corrections.
    I've had my car searched, and I'm not willing to risk losing my LTCH.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    1) why can't the OP use the OC spray issued by his employer? (asking because I don't know)

2) is it possible to park off the property but close enough for a short walk (that way you wouldn't be breaking the law by having a gun in your car?

Top Bottom