• ...and so much more!
  • mtcvg5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2015
    Highland
    Hi all,

I recently moved to Indiana from Illinois, and one of the first things I wanted to do was apply for my lifetime LTCH. I filled out the application through the ISP website and had my fingerprinting done through L-1. I was not able to immediately go to my local police department and pay the local fee to complete my application. The local PD only processes LTCH applications on Wednesdays from 9 am to 11 am. I work a steady job which makes this rather difficult.

However, before I found the time to go to the station, my LTCH shows up in the mail, a couple weeks after the fingerprinting; it has my name, address, issued date, everything. My application status on the ISP website says approved. Long story short, I received my license without paying the fee to the local law enforcement.

Was a mistake made? I was under the impression that I was required to pay an additional $50. Is my license invalid? If I carry in public, am I breaking the law even though I have a physical license? Has this happened to anyone else? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    If you never went to your local PD then I would say a mistake was indeed made. If the state issued you a license though then you are good to go and I ... well... wouldn't bother with correcting them.

Take your wife out for a nice dinner with your extra $50 :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you never went to your local PD then I would say a mistake was indeed made. If the state issued you a license though then you are good to go and I ... well... wouldn't bother with correcting them.

Take your wife out for a nice dinner with your extra $50 :):

I'm not sure I would take that advice. That is unless you enjoy being hassled by a cop up to and including having yourself arrested. The pink plastic means nothing if the paperwork isnt in order on the back end and properly set in the database.

Personally I would contact the ISP and let them know what happened and find out how to correct it. (Likely just MAKING time ASAP to see the LEO) The last thing you need is several years from now is to get pulled over, cop sees your gun, and then you get cuffed and stuffed because when he calls in the license to verify it is found not to be valid. Or God forbid you are involved in an an active shoot incident and its discovered that this error happened.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My cousin told me he had the same experience with St. Joe county.
    This was almost a year ago, said he never went to the County building to pay the local fees.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I'm not sure I would take that advice. That is unless you enjoy being hassled by a cop up to and including having yourself arrested. The pink plastic means nothing if the paperwork isnt in order on the back end and properly set in the database.

Personally I would contact the ISP and let them know what happened and find out how to correct it. (Likely just MAKING time ASAP to see the LEO) The last thing you need is several years from now is to get pulled over, cop sees your gun, and then you get cuffed and stuffed because when he calls in the license to verify it is found not to be valid. Or God forbid you are involved in an an active shoot incident and its discovered that this error happened.

Anyone can go online now and confirm their LTCH status. If it shows him as valid then he is good to go.

https://firearms.ariesportal.com/Public/Login.aspx

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's all correct. I paid the $75 for the state fee and the $10 for the fingerprinting. I hadn't paid the $50 local fee.

If you havent paid the man as per the procedure, I could see it being deemed invalid. Then again IANAL.

mtcvg5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2015
    Highland
    Thanks for the input, all. I'll plan on calling the ISP's firearms licensing section tomorrow to inquire.

I think it best to make sure all my bases are covered in case SHTF.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I believe one of the penalties for possession of a handgun without having a valid LTCH is loss of your right to get an LTCH, that would be a kick to the pants just to save $50.

Top Bottom