• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I'll be in Michigan doing some day hiking in bear country. Heaven forbid something actually happens and I need to get to my gun quickly and it's buried in my pack. My EDC holster isn't going to work, nor is the fanny-pack holster that I have.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This is the exact reason I bought a sling type pack a few weeks ago. My main pack, which is extremely comfortable, but has a waist belt, just wouldnt work with my regular method of carry, so I went with the sling pack to see if it worked out any better. In my 2 outings, and 18 miles of trails so far, it's suited my needs just fine, and is actually more comfortable than my bigger pack. I'm able to get everything I might need in it, and the smaller kelty sling my wife carries.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I don't have any useful input but why would your edc holster not work?

I just got done doing 30 miles or so in the Smokey Mountains, and I elected not to take my S&W .44 629 simply because it was so dang heavy, and counting oz really matters when hiking.

So I wore my usual OWB kydex for my XD 9mm (Too small for bears, I know. But I figured 16 rounds would surely dissuade most bears, and besides, I really want to fight one with my Ka-Bar anyhow...)

Long story short the waist strap from my pack pressed down on my holster, resulting in a lovely 8" long wear mark on my hip that was EXTREMELY pleasant to hike with.

Time to buy a nice light .357!!

bigred133

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    Southport/Greenwood
    [
    I just got done doing 30 miles or so in the Smokey Mountains, and I elected not to take my S&W .44 629 simply because it was so dang heavy, and counting oz...
    Time to buy a nice light .357!!

I used to hike in the Smokeys wearing a full size 1911 in a Crossbreed holster.
    I tried a a nice light S&W .357 and I didn't like the recoil. I traded it in for a big Ruger GP100 and it has no recoil.
    Neither revolver was comfortable on a hike, but once the crossbreed was broken in I could wear it 16hrs a day.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    At just under 16oz, I hike with a 3" LCRX in a cheapo owb nylon holster. Waist belt for the pack rides just above my belt so it's not in the way of the grip. It's a great woods rig, and 38spl +P will take care of my needs in IN.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    At just under 16oz, I hike with a 3" LCRX in a cheapo owb nylon holster. Waist belt for the pack rides just above my belt so it's not in the way of the grip. It's a great woods rig, and 38spl +P will take care of my needs in IN.

That is my exact EDC, love it. Shoots the center of the target out at 10 yards too. My woods gun (if I can get back in boots this year, heel spur is killing me), is my 3 inch SP101. It can handle full power 158 loads just fine and is accurate to boot. It is too heavy for EDC, at least for me, but in a good open carry holster, it is a great woods gun. I carry one or two rounds of snakeshot then the rest are nasty full power loads. Plus a couple of speed loaders with full power loads as well.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    What little hiking I've down I had a UTG maxpedition ripoff that is basically a man purse. Set up a cheap uncle Mike's in the back pocket area for a gun. It was carried crossdraw style, has a belt loop thing too so you can take some of the weight off your shoulder.

One question that is sort of off topic. What does everyone think about those Xtreme Penetrator, or even hard cast, bullets in smaller calibers (9mm, .40 etc) for bear defense. Seems like with that kind of penetration the rounds should be able to get where they need to be be.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I recently bought a concealed carry vest for hiking in Texas, but if I was in any of the 44+ states that allow open carry I'd probably just OC a medium or fullsized pistol of your liking.

I don't mind CCing when doing leisurely hikes, flat trails or modest hills/slopes and stairs but it gets uncomfortable if you're climbing over stuff and taking larger than usual strides for hours on end. In those situations I'd just very well carry either OC or off the body in a vest or pack of some sort.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The Hill People Gear kit pack is a bit pricey, but it's worth it. I took one on a two week trip to South America (sans pistol, naturally), and it is easily the best pack I own.

Top Bottom