• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drussell033

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2015
    Monticello
    Hello, I'm Dakota. I just got my LTCH in the mail yesterday. I have some questions about using it mostly for other states.

1. When in other states that allow the LTCH, do i carry concealed or open? Does it matter?

2. Concealed Carry, is that only - in the pants holster or can i wear a regular holster and put a jacket over it?

3. I heard PA & ohio don't allow our LTCH, is that true or did they change it back?

I appreciate the help everyone!

Thanks,
    Dakota

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Hello, I'm Dakota. I just got my LTCH in the mail yesterday. I have some questions about using it mostly for other states.

1. When in other states that allow the LTCH, do i carry concealed or open? Does it matter?

2. Concealed Carry, is that only - in the pants holster or can i wear a regular holster and put a jacket over it?

3. I heard PA & ohio don't allow our LTCH, is that true or did they change it back?

Thanks,
    Dakota

1. Depends on the laws of the state you're in.
    2. Concealed means concealed, as in cannot be seen. If you can conceal OWB, go for it.
    3. Good info here.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Research the laws for every place you plan to go. Many cities have differing laws that may supersede State laws and you don't want to find out the hard way. Trust me on this.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Thanks,
    Dakota

This is a good site to learn from. You might look around at some training resources as well. There are plenty of folks on this site that offer training and/or will recommend good places to get it. Just last month the Bedford Police Dept. put on a training class where, in part, they cover the type of information you're asking about. If you're on a budget, and your local department offers something similar, it's a nice start. I took the Bedford PD class before I found INGO and I still think it's well worth the $50 I spent.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Thanks,
    Dakota

:welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:

At this writing, our LTCH is honored as valid in 31 states, including Indiana. More to your question, PA and OH both recognize us, OH having done so quite recently, like in the last month or so, PA having done so for years.

Chezuki gave you one site for confirming validity. That site is co-owned by another INGO member. I'll give you another that has a slightly more interactive map available, though I actually use both. The "handgunlaw.us" site is usually more up-to-date, but not by much. The site I like for mapping is usacarry.com .

How you carry is up to you in Indiana. In other states, you also have to follow local law. (Texas, for example, has just passed Open Carry via their legislature, and their governor has said he will sign it, but at this writing, you cannot lawfully open carry there, unless you are a police officer.) Additionally, there used to be a provision in some states against "printing", that is, if your cover garment revealed that you had a handgun on you, say, by outline through the fabric, you could be charged.
    As always, the answer is "check local laws", and my advice would be to do so through an attorney, not by calling the local police department. Some officers, giving a non-binding answer, have been known to inject what they believe the law should be into their answers (such as our own city of Terre Haute, the police dept. of which maintained for many years that the law did not allow Open Carry. The law passed a few years ago made them continuing to tell people that an actionable offense, allowing for their city to be sued for that practice. Other states may not have the "teeth" in that prohibition, though, if they prohibit it at all.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    As posted above, a good site to get the laws of each state is Handgunlaw.us

In addition, if you travel it is really nice to have the app that has all the information you need to stay out of jail for carrying in a nice easy to understand format that is updated regularly. It is a CCW app for Android, there may be one for apple too but I'm an Android user.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.ccw&hl=en

The terminology is something you need to study to know what keeps you legal.

Reciprocity - states that honor our LTCH.

Transport laws.

Prohibited area's: where you Legally can't carry, not where someone hangs a sign. For example You can carry in a bar in Indiana, but in Kentucky you cannot carry in a place that serves drinks. For example you can eat at outback steakhouse with your gun concealed (since KY is concealed only I believe) but you can't sit in the bar area. It can be confusing, and it is wise of you to start learning laws to protect yourself and family while staying out of trouble.

Signage Law: If the signs haning on the door actually are legally binding or not. Indiana is not, so a no gun sign doesn't necessarily mean it's against the law, but if it is an actual prohibited place like a federal post office then it is illegal even if they have no sign.

"Must inform" in some states means if a cop pulls you over, you "must inform" him you are carrying and I mean immediately, do not delay, Some are really unforgiving on that and it is something to take serious.

Sadly, carrying carries a lot of opportunity to get in trouble just for exercising your right to keep and bear arms, but it's worth learning the laws so you can carry with confidence that you can protect the life of you and yours while staying out of jail.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Welcome Dakota, this is possibly the best gun forum around, if you can't get an answer here, you're up a creek! As stated before Handgunlaw.com is a great source for carrying in other states, just remember the rules here
    1 1911's are better than Glocks
    2 Glocks are better than 1911's
    3 OC is the way to go
    4 CC is the way to go
    5 50 quality posts..(this being subjective, because as of this year, 2015, the whole forum has yet to put up 50 quality posts....
    6 Sarchasm is an under valued skill!

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Use the sites listed by the above posters each time you travel through the different states. Case in point: I got my Arizona non-resident license to be able to carry in Nevada. At that time Nevada accepted all Arizona licenses. For some reason there was a falling out and Nevada no longer recognizes AZ. I wasn't aware of that a couple years ago when we traveled through Las Vegas on the way from Utah to Phoenix. Thank goodness I didn't get pulled over or checked out walking down the street carrying concealed!! I learned my lesson. Be careful. Reciprocity and recognition between states can change.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    With 3 posts about a legitimate question? :scratch:

Why? :dunno:

I was joking.

While hitting on the, often seen, accusation of "making a run to 50" that is so commonly found when or shortly after a new member makes any kind of rapid fire posts.

Really doesn't matter to me if he is/was one way or the other.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I was joking.

While hitting on the, often seen, accusation of "making a run to 50" that is so commonly found when or shortly after a new member makes any kind of rapid fire posts.

I knew you were joking, and I agree that it doesn't matter if someone is trying to run for 50. Besides, I can't read someone else's mind.

Whenever I see an ad that has been placed by someone with only 50-70 (+/-) posts, it shows their intentions and has a bearing on whether or not I'm willing to deal with that person.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I was joking.

Then you might as well get new guys up to speed right, to avoid confusion, posts that are satire are intentionally colored in purple, although not everyone does it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OP: You've come to the right place for information. One thing you can take from the previous posts is that when you carry a firearm there are a lot of responsibilities. Knowing the appropriate laws is part of it.

Top Bottom