• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I have been told many times from many people. "You know you cant have a gun in a commercial vehicle" I have not been able to find any written evidence that this is true.. Even owners of companies that run commercial vehicles say it. "Its written in the CDL handbook".

Whats the story behind this? Are they right? Did this use to be the case and has changed? Thanks

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have been told many times from many people. "You know you cant have a gun in a commercial vehicle" I have not been able to find any written evidence that this is true.. Even owners of companies that run commercial vehicles say it. "Its written in the CDL handbook".

Whats the story behind this? Are they right? Did this use to be the case and has changed? Thanks

My answer to such claims as this is:
    "Really? What law says that? Is it federal or state? Please cite it for me, so I can find it myself and read it."

Oddly enough, it's very rare to find someone who can do so.

If they can't show you a law describing the penalty for violation, they're likely just repeating what someone else told them, and they never bothered to look it up for themselves.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My answer to such claims as this is:
    "Really? What law says that? Is it federal or state? Please cite it for me, so I can find it myself and read it."

Oddly enough, it's very rare to find someone who can do so.

If they can't show you a law describing the penalty for violation, they're likely just repeating what someone else told them, and they never bothered to look it up for themselves.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Probably true. But bear in mind those same people couldnt show you where carrying in a school is illegal either.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It is a long-standing article of faith that firearms are prohibited in commercial vehicles, but it is a falsehood. The biggest caveat is that depending on the details of your commercial driving, you may increase the chances of crossing into different jurisdictions with different rules, but this is the same whether in a commercial vehicle, your automobile, riding a horse, or on foot.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    Completely untrue. Heard that story a lot too. Even from a state trooper one time but none
    No one, including myself has found any law prohibiting it either state or fmcsa. As a result, I carry in the truck. There's a lot of wackos out here. Come out prepared or get familiar with the trucker's final mile organization.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Completely untrue. Heard that story a lot too. Even from a state trooper one time but none
    No one, including myself has found any law prohibiting it either state or fmcsa. As a result, I carry in the truck. There's a lot of wackos out here. Come out prepared or get familiar with the trucker's final mile organization.

A truck driver from Brazil? Doesn't it work out that about one in five adult males from Brazil are truck drivers? :):

Seriously, I agree with you completely.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I carried in a dumptruck many years. I have never saw a prohibition on it. I suppose that this belief came from interstate tractor-trailer drivers. There is no universal LATCH that is good in every state. For guys who could be in dozens of states over the course of a month, carry would be illegal most of the time.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There is no such law. That is a topic brought up over and over on the weekly GunTalk show. Tom Gresham has been talking about this for over 20 years and no one has been able to show him a law to the contrary. It may be against company policy and obviously different states have different laws, but there is no blanket prohibition on carry in commercial vehicles.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    A truck driver from Brazil? Doesn't it work out that about one in five adult males from Brazil are truck drivers? :):

Seriously, I agree with you completely.

Probably is. Idk. I'm not originally from there but been driving for a long time. The town I came from you had 4 choices: work in fast food, a factory, drive a truck, or move. Too bad I didn't choose option 4 before option 3.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    They're currently trying to push a rule through that would allow drivers to get a national permit that would be honored by all states to carry a firearm interstate as part of "Jason's law"

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Probably is. Idk. I'm not originally from there but been driving for a long time. The town I came from you had 4 choices: work in fast food, a factory, drive a truck, or move. Too bad I didn't choose option 4 before option 3.

This is the same reason why there are so many truck drivers in Brazil.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    This is the same reason why there are so many truck drivers in Brazil.

Yup, probably so. Not much in this town, but I like it. I bought a mobile home park here with a 4 bed/2 bath house on it so things aren't too bad for me these days. Been looking for a driving job that would work me less hours, found one but I have to wait til a truck opens up. As it stands I'm working about 65-70 hours a week on average. I'm thinking more in the 50-55 range would be better.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yup, probably so. Not much in this town, but I like it. I bought a mobile home park here with a 4 bed/2 bath house on it so things aren't too bad for me these days. Been looking for a driving job that would work me less hours, found one but I have to wait til a truck opens up. As it stands I'm working about 65-70 hours a week on average. I'm thinking more in the 50-55 range would be better.

Where are you driving now for 65-70 hours a week?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I heard the lifetime License to Carry Handgun is going away.

At a gunshop.

Near the counter. The COUNTER.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    Where are you driving now for 65-70 hours a week?

A pneumatic bulk tank company just south of Greencastle. Haul cement, flyash, and powdered lime. I took the job because I was told they were doing 8-10 hour days but I haven't seen many of those. I actually did have a somewhat short day today. Left at 3 am went to Jeffersonville then back to Indy and made it back to the yard a little after 1 pm. It's not hourly, but it's pretty good. Our pay structure is too complicated to explain on here.

Top Bottom