• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I guess that the Lagrange County 4H Board has decided that the 4H Fairgrounds is a WFZ (weapons free zone) - they have posted a sign at the front entrance that states "No guns or weapons allowed on the premises". Typical gun/anti-gun banter on the face page...

Facebook Page Here...

Picture here... LaGrange fairgrounds.jpg
    Sorry - I've resized the picture and can't seem to get it sized right.

Attachments

• LaGrange fairgroundsLR.jpg
      LaGrange fairgroundsLR.jpg
      10.7 KB · Views: 15

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not a problem, just don't enter OR enter concealed and ignore the sign.. It's my understanding that they can't make a rule that trumps State law.. They can ask you to leave and that's exactly what I would do when I saw the sign.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Is this private property and a private company? If so I guess they should be allowed to. I have talked with others on here about wether a public place (store or business) open to anyone should be allowed to ban individual rights. Seems property rights should trump individual rights but lame either way.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The 4-H Fairgrounds is a privately owned facility owned by the LaGrange County 4-H Fair Association, Inc. and in the best interests of the safety of these facilities and families we have posted that firearms and weapons not be allowed on the grounds.

Their sign means nothing and carries no weight of law. Carry concealed and they'll never know. Otherwise they CAN tell you to leave and have you trespassed if you refuse. I'd just CC and be done with it or not go.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Who owns the property? If it is owned by the city, county or state, etc, then that sign is unenforceable.

IC 35-47-11.1-2 Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political
    subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation,
    registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and
    firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition,
    and firearm accessories.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Private property, so they have every right to do so (I support their right to make dumb decisions). As stated, the board has no weight of law.

I guess the irony of a rural 4H group expressly banning not only firearms, but all weapons is missed by the board. I guarantee the knife:attendee ratio is very high. I'd like to see them actually enforce the "no weapons" rule - I suspect attendance would drop by about 90%. Lagrange is a very rural county...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yeah, totally missed that. Mea Culpa

Not only that, even if it had been a county-owned location, if the 4H had leased it for the fair, they would be allowed to make whatever rules regarding firearms they wished.

Of course, all they can really do if you violate those rules is trespass you/make you "persona non grata", aka unwelcome there.

For my part, I prefer not to give money I've worked hard to earn to those who have no respect for my rights. In line with that, I respect their rights to the property they lease/own/whatever, and choose not to violate their rule on that subject. I don't want an elephant ear that badly.... they can go pound sand.

Blessings,
    Bill

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    All no gun signs in Indiana, no matter the wording, have 0 weight of law unless the location is legally a gun free zone. The LaGrange 4-h fair is not a legal no gun zone so you are absolutely okay to carry there. However, since the property is privately owned they can kick you out if they discover you. Conceal and be safe/happy.

Personally my guns seem to have absolutely no respect for these signs when not legally enforceable. They have on many occasions followed me right past such signs. Those rebels. I can almost surely guarantee you that if I made a visit to this fair they would do as they always do.

Last edited:

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Clinton County fair is going on this week and they have no guns signs up at the fairgrounds. I'm not going but good to know the signage is meaningless just the same.

Top Bottom