3 US Marines take down gunman firing AK-47 on train in France.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For as much as I make fun of Marines (when they aren't around), they know how take care of things.

+1 'Merica

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lessons learned?

Unarmed is not helpless. A gun gives you more options, nothing more or less. Being trained, being alert, and being willing to act matter. A lot. Having like minded buddies sure helps.

Good on the Marines. I hope they find a soldier to read their commendations for them. :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not sure why they thought it was important to mention the shooter's national background...isn't that what we would consider......racist? :popcorn:

Seriously though, good for the Marines :patriot:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That's what being a real man is all about.
    It would have required a supreme effort of restraint not to beat this turd until he was a pool of splattered brains and shredded flesh.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's what being a real man is all about.
    It would have required a supreme effort of restraint not to beat this turd until he was a pool of splattered brains and shredded flesh.

Yep I was surprised the suspect was able to talk to the police after being taken down by three Marines.

I just heard on TV that the British man who was wounded was also a soldier, maybe traveling with the Marines. :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not sure why they thought it was important to mention the shooter's national background...isn't that what we would consider......racist? :popcorn:

The French generally understand race in a fundamentally different way. (Apologies to Sylvain if it sounds like I'm speaking out of turn.) IMO, they accept racial prejudices as a part of life, and incorporate it that way. That's not to say it is "ok" - but they just view it differently.

For example, they have a pejorative phrase to describe French people who are born in Africa - pieds noir, "black feet." It refers to people who are white, because they are French, but who happen to be born in francophone Africa. And it is very much an insult.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The French generally understand race in a fundamentally different way. (Apologies to Sylvain if it sounds like I'm speaking out of turn.) IMO, they accept racial prejudices as a part of life, and incorporate it that way. That's not to say it is "ok" - but they just view it differently.

For example, they have a pejorative phrase to describe French people who are born in Africa - pieds noir, "black feet." It refers to people who are white, because they are French, but who happen to be born in francophone Africa. And it is very much an insult.

Race and nationality are two different things.
    The news mentioned the nationality of the shooter just like they mentioned one of the victims was British and the other American.
    I don't see anything racist in that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The news mentioned the nationality of the shooter just like they mentioned one of the victims was British and the other American.

North Africans are normally viewed pretty negatively, though, are they not?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Depends by whom. :dunno:
    You could say the same about Americans too.Obviously not all Europeans are anti-Americans.

People who try to kill others are viewed negatively.I don't think race or nationality has anything to do with that.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Even as an American, from my perspective, when I saw the description as "Moroccan", I am 99% sure of the race, if you will, of the person doing the shooting. Contrast this with a lot of American news reporting on similar incidents, and they go out of their way to avoid any description that might lead the reader to know what race the perpetrator is.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It looks like the attack took place when the train was in Belgium.
    Not sure if it's where the shooter border with his weapons or not.

Top Bottom