• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    Iam sure someone here knows this , but I can't seem to find a definitive answer , and I appolagize if this has been asked already. What does Illinois law state about an Indiana resident ( who has a ltch ) crossing in to Illinois with their firearm in their vehicle? I've heard some say firearm must be unloaded and stored , others say that you can have it in vehicle loaded whatever but just can't exit the vehicle with it . Any one know what the law states for certain?
    Thanks

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident fromtransporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle inIllinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing afirearm under federal law;(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under thelaws of his or her state or territory of residence; and(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle orlocked container within the vehicle in accordance withsubsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

You're good to go in your vehicle if you have your LTCH. Bolded the relevant above... excerpt comes from Section 40 of the law linked below:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/pdf/098-0063.pdf

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is my understanding that if you have a permit or license from your home state, you may keep your gun in your holster on your body, while in your car. I used to have a link that explained that but they keep moving it and mine is now broken. Maybe somebody else has it and will post it. But once you get out of your car, the gun must be stored and locked.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    As I recall, the Illinois law also specifically allowed you to exit your vehicle with the gun still holstered in order to move the gun (ie to the trunk) so basically they took steps to NOT prosecute you as long as you made the reasonable steps to leave the gun in the car before you went anywhere you really needed it. (Edit as noted in posts below this provision to allow you to move in and around your car is not for nonresidents but rather for licensees who are parking their car and going in a "prohibited area".... which Illinois has a lot of!)

.... .which is well..... at least better than it used to be :dunno:

Edited to add: the "unloaded and stored" law was prior to the changes they made a couple of years ago.

My link isn't good either; maybe it's the Illinois website tonight rather than GodFearin's link.

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    As I recall, the Illinois law also specifically allowed you to exit your vehicle with the gun still holstered in order to move the gun (ie to the trunk) so basically they took steps to NOT prosecute you as long as you made the reasonable steps to leave the gun in the car before you went anywhere you really needed it.

.... .which is well..... at least better than it used to be :dunno:

Edited to add: the "unloaded and stored" law was prior to the changes they made a couple of years ago.

My link isn't good either; maybe it's the Illinois website tonight rather than GodFearin's link.

You MUST not exit your vehicle with a loaded firearm in Illinois without a Illinois card. With a Indiana LTCH you need to unload and secure it before you put in in your trunk or transport it elsewhere.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    You MUST not exit your vehicle with a loaded firearm in Illinois without a Illinois card. With a Indiana LTCH you need to unload and secure it before you put in in your trunk or transport it elsewhere.

I still can't find the link tonight with the specific laws. But whether my first comment was correct or not, I would do as you stated anyway.

I'll link the specific statement later if I can find it.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I found the act 430 ILCS 66/  Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Vehicle paragraph "(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident: (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)"

There is another paragraph specifically defining that, during a traffic stop, a police officer may take your gun and keep it until they determine it is safe to return it.

Also for a "licensee" (resident or nonresident Illinois permit) in a prohibited area:
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Finally! An excuse to tell her to pump gas and run inside for drinks. Woo-hoo

You spend money in the Peoples' Republic of Ill-annoy-astan?

I try not to go there at all, but when I do, I gas up before I cross the border from America and if I have to stop, it's only to empty my bladder or bowels.

I think it's not only appropriate, it's what they asked for, esp. the latter: Translate the word "cago" from Spanish.

Blessings,
    Bill

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Let's talk about motorcyles... what if your riding a motorcycle and carrying how does that work...

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    So do these rules count for Chicago as well? I've been avoiding Chicago for the past few years but if allowed to at least keep it locked in the car, I might change my mind. I've been wanting to bring the kid to Brookfield Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry but didn't want to travel without a firearm in the car. And If allowed to have it loaded inside the car that would give me confidence to be able to legally repel any attempted car-jacking.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So do these rules count for Chicago as well? I've been avoiding Chicago for the past few years but if allowed to at least keep it locked in the car, I might change my mind. I've been wanting to bring the kid to Brookfield Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry but didn't want to travel without a firearm in the car. And If allowed to have it loaded inside the car that would give me confidence to be able to legally repel any attempted car-jacking.
    Yes.

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    I found the act 430Â*ILCSÂ*66/Â*Â*Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Vehicle paragraph "(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident: (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)"

There is another paragraph specifically defining that, during a traffic stop, a police officer may take your gun and keep it until they determine it is safe to return it.

Also for a "licensee" (resident or nonresident Illinois permit) in a prohibited area:
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

Here is a good question what if I am riding a motorcycle? am I covered until I remove my helmet or is it when my but leaves the seat or get off the bike?

Top Bottom