Michigan CPL Holder Fires Upon Shoplifter Fleeing Home Depot: Justified?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Excerpt from the story:
    AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (WJBK) - A woman with a concealed weapons permit shot at a person suspected of shoplifting in Auburn Hills. Police say a shoplifter was leaving Home Depot around 2 p.m. Tuesday. As he walked out, the store's loss prevention employee tried to stop him.
    "The shoplifter then got into a dark-colored SUV and begin to flee," says Lt Jill McDonnell of Auburn Hills Police Department.
    Police say a customer in the parking lot witnessed the employee trying to stop the shoplifter - and decided to intervene. "The customer, who was a CPL holder, then fired shots at the vehicle," McDonnell says. "(We) believe they blew out at least one of the tires on the vehicle."

Customer with CPL shoots at shoplifting suspect at Home Depot - Story | WJBK

Do you think the CPL holder was justified in firing upon the suspected shoplifter? Why or why not?

There's potential for a lot of good discussion, here.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Absolutely not. The threat is over, if there ever was one. Was there reasonable fear of serious bodily harm? It was just a shoplifter.

Bad choice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yup. I'm not gonna risk my life or larry for somebody else's junk. ESPECIALLY a publicly traded megacorp's stuff.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Didn't read the entire article, but if this shoplifter happened to shoplift a machete, for example, then maybe shots fired is not such a bad idea.

To be clear, if there is not grave imminent danger then I'm not only not firing I'm not even drawing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Didn't read the entire article, but if this shoplifter happened to shoplift a machete, for example, then maybe shots fired is not such a bad idea.

To be clear, if there is not grave imminent danger then I'm not only not firing I'm not even drawing.

That guy had better be running in your general direction before you consider him an imenent threat. Simply running with a weapon isnt a threat. MAYBE you could claim the southpark defense....

Like+southpark+where+that+guy+hunted+with+a+bazooka+_ae1111977fe43b9efd4053c51ce7ff50.jpg

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Not knowing the direction of the vehicle in relation to the shooter plays a large part in the justification of their actions. If the vehicle was speeding towards the CPL holder and she felt her life was in immediate danger, or the life of another was in immediate danger she may be justified in firing. If the vehicle was fleeing away from any pedestrians, this was a bad shoot.

Kmocao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Somewhar in the Bush
    Absolutely not justified, unless you or someone else is about to get run down. Pulling some dumb **** like shooting at someone shoplifting some goods from a home improvement store is the kind of stuff that gives us all a bad name.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That guy had better be running in your general direction before you consider him an imenent threat. Simply running with a weapon isnt a threat. MAYBE you could claim the southpark defense....

View attachment 42004
    Oh we're aligned on this...I said imminent and I mean it. I don't know what this person stole, but I know machetes are an inventory item so threw it out there. If all I see is a fleeing robber, as far as I'm concerned it's over and done. No merchandise is worth the legal hassle of shooting at someone running away...that's what insurance is for :)

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

View attachment 42004

I can see it now.........several years in the future............United States Supreme Court to make ruling on 2nd Amendment South Park defense case!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The use of deadly force requires the presence of Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy. None of these elements was present at the moment deadly force was used. One could argue that the getaway vehicle represented Ability; however, given that the shoplifter was fleeing in that vehicle, neither Opportunity nor Jeopardy was present.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Personally, I think thieves should be hanged drawn and quartered.......and then shot.
    But I have found that doing the RIGHT thing is not always legal in our society, yet. :rolleyes:

And this is why we still have so many dirtbags today.............there's no recourse to keep them from being dirtbags.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've actually been in this situation, walking to my vehicle in a big box store parking lot, heard some yelling and cussing, saw a brief scuffle between thieving piece of **** (allegedly) and a couple of loss prevention guys. Thief wasn't so much fighting them as much as trying to get away. I watched as thief broke free from the LP guys and did a olympic record dash across the lot and out of sight. The thought of drawing my weapon never crossed my mind.

Top Bottom