• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've heard rumors. But saw my first one today.

Dropped off my prescription went around to the pickup counter and noticed him.

It was going to be 15 or so minutes, so I walked behind him and sat in one of the two chairs they had set up in the "check your blood pressure" area. After about 6 seconds, it became clear to me that someone had urinated in the area (I was praying it was the floor or in the other chair). So I got up and moved.

The only convenient place I found to wait was leaning on a pallet of bottled water between the prescription desk and the front door. So there I leaned.

It it occured to me as I was signing all the electronic forms to receive my narcotics, that I had left my pistol in the car. Which really sucked. (I was having oral surgery, and didn't feel it was appropriate to carry during the procedure).

So I had the option of going back to my car and returning open carrying. Or not.

The guard looked a little twitchy. So I chose not.

On the plus side, he did come outside when I left and followed me halfway to my car. (I'm assuming so he could protect me if I had been jumped by a prescription drug ring).

Man, things have changed. :noway:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My local CVS has security in the back near the pharmacy. I think it's the same company that Kroger uses for "rent-a-guard" purposes... I've never seen a firearm on them, though. They usually give me a nodding glance... at least the one that's familiar with me by now. The latest one looked new.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good reason to consider carrying while at the pharmacy. My wife had someone follow her out last year. She had our youngest daughter with her, and that was obviously distracting her. Wife put our daughter in the car, got in, and when she got ready to leave she was startled by a person standing right next to the driver's side window. They motioned for her to roll down the window, and she did not. They were yelling at her through the window to open it up...they wanted to know if she could give them a ride or some such.

She did the right thing and put it in reverse and got the heck out of there, and called the police. They said they had other reports of that type of behavior, and it was a good bet the person was following people out of the pharmacy in hopes to get either money or drugs.

Needless to say, she sends me now days when she needs a prescription picked up, or just uses the drive thru option.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    My daughter, a pharmacist, used to work for CVS on east side of Indy. It was normal to have customers threaten the staff with bodily harm. It wasn't unusual for her to call the police. Ladies of the evening often could be seen marketing their goods in the parking lot. She had her catalytic converter cut off her car in the middle of the day, while car was parked not more than 100 ft from the front door. Experiences at that store was one reason she left the retail business.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good reason to consider carrying while at the pharmacy. My wife had someone follow her out last year. She had our youngest daughter with her, and that was obviously distracting her. Wife put our daughter in the car, got in, and when she got ready to leave she was startled by a person standing right next to the driver's side window. They motioned for her to roll down the window, and she did not. They were yelling at her through the window to open it up...they wanted to know if she could give them a ride or some such.

She did the right thing and put it in reverse and got the heck out of there, and called the police. They said they had other reports of that type of behavior, and it was a good bet the person was following people out of the pharmacy in hopes to get either money or drugs.

Needless to say, she sends me now days when she needs a prescription picked up, or just uses the drive thru option.

It is a changing world. With the catch and release program here in Marion County these butt heads are not concerned about catching a case.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

She still needs situational awareness, even with kids.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I live on the East Side of Indy and the CVS and (brand newish) Walgreen's both have armed security.

Talk about a changing world... spend the time and money to become a pharmacist - to work long retail hours in a dump like CVS and be a helpless target to any POS trying to rob you of narcotics. I know the salary is good, but the big companies are always trying to squeeze more out of you, and there aren't many small drug stores around anymore. Best bet is to get a standing gig at a hospital or nursing home.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I live on the East Side of Indy and the CVS and (brand newish) Walgreen's both have armed security.

Talk about a changing world... spend the time and money to become a pharmacist - to work long retail hours in a dump like CVS and be a helpless target to any POS trying to rob you of narcotics. I know the salary is good, but the big companies are always trying to squeeze more out of you, and there aren't many small drug stores around anymore. Best bet is to get a standing gig at a hospital or nursing home.

Spot on. My wife is a 30 year Osco/CVS pharmacist. She feels it's just a matter of time till she's robbed. No security in her store.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

I've been followed more than once by the security guard in the newish Walgreens. Bet it was a big disappointment to him when I went to the pharmacy, picked up my scripts and left.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I frequent our local Walgreen's, I've never seen a guard by the pharmacy but I usually don't go back there. I'm always carrying though.

Some time back, I was talking to a cashier at Walgreens and she said drunks would come in after the bars closed and nothing else was open and want liquor. She was always on the phone to the police.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    CVS in Carmel on Rangeline has a "guard" now too. Tonight is the first time I have ever seen one there. He was not armed.

Top Bottom