• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    Heading to the zoo later this week for a work christmas party and wondering if I'll be able to carry while there? It's been 3-4 years since I've visited the zoo and can't recall if I could carry or not last time I was there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Our zoo is a private non-profit. They have a no weapons policy. If caught, you will likely be asked to leave.

That said, many folks choose to conceal when they visit.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to work at the Indy zoo, as a seasonal zookeeper when I was home from college...this was 20 years ago, when they called it the "new zoo".

Guests found carrying were asked to leave the property, if discovered by the security guards or by the busy-body members of staff. I saw several armed guests in my time there, but I never reported anyone. Due to the location of the zoo, and the odd hours I worked I always kept a pistol stashed away in my lunch cooler...no one ever checked, or even suspected so far as I could tell. I would have been fired if I had gotten caught.

I always felt safe on zoo property, but the area around the zoo could get a little sketchy from time to time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    remember the time the cheetah got loose I carry more of the fear of getting ate by a bear lion tiger oh my

That reminds me of a LONG time ago.
    Some 50+years ago while I was still a wee lad, Lafayette's Columbian Park had a zoo. They still have a zoo, and actually it's much, much better than before, but I digress.

Columbian Park housed a gorilla back in the day. He was not the biggest I've seen. Also not the friendliest.
    "Buddy" was his name and he was famous locally for terrorizing small children when they visited. He was housed in what looked like a jail cell. Very small and all concrete. He had a "tree" inside, and a shelf resembling a cliff. He had access to an enclosure outside that was roughly the same size as his indoor accommodations.
    Buddy would just lay about, alone in his cage, day-in, and day-out. Rarely moving, until some small child would scream at him, or some loud-mouthed adult stated waving their arms around. Then Buddy would get pissed. He would start running around his cage screaming, throwing things at the cage, and generally running amok until either the zoo staff shooed off the unruly visitors, or until they left on their own.
    Then, when I was still very young, Buddy figured out how to get out of his cage,
    He did so several times, destroying some small amount of property most times, and scaring the living daylights out of anyone he encountered while free.

I've often wondered what ever happened to Buddy, I'm sure he's probably dead by now, but...
    Poor Buddy.

Thread-jack over.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Bump :)

Has there been any changes. I still assume that concealed means concealed correct?

Also what are their back pack policy's?

Desperado

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2017
    Clay County
    Have CC there every time we have visited which is probably 5 or 6 times. Like most gun free zones as long as your concealed good should be no issues.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    CC at the Zoo is a low risk zone filled with natural wild beasts. However, the wild beasts inside most of 465 is what scares me. Always carry, always.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Pack an extra mag or two. Shot placement is key.
    Remember the Harambe incident!
    LOL :D That's why I asked about backpack :)

F676E248-54D4-4098-963C-D9AC202CA06E_zpsqdtca5ej.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/BclevROAIGu/

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    That reminds me of a LONG time ago.
    Some 50+years ago while I was still a wee lad, Lafayette's Columbian Park had a zoo. They still have a zoo, and actually it's much, much better than before, but I digress.

Columbian Park housed a gorilla back in the day. He was not the biggest I've seen. Also not the friendliest.
    "Buddy" was his name and he was famous locally for terrorizing small children when they visited. He was housed in what looked like a jail cell. Very small and all concrete. He had a "tree" inside, and a shelf resembling a cliff. He had access to an enclosure outside that was roughly the same size as his indoor accommodations.
    Buddy would just lay about, alone in his cage, day-in, and day-out. Rarely moving, until some small child would scream at him, or some loud-mouthed adult stated waving their arms around. Then Buddy would get pissed. He would start running around his cage screaming, throwing things at the cage, and generally running amok until either the zoo staff shooed off the unruly visitors, or until they left on their own.
    Then, when I was still very young, Buddy figured out how to get out of his cage,
    He did so several times, destroying some small amount of property most times, and scaring the living daylights out of anyone he encountered while free.

I've often wondered what ever happened to Buddy, I'm sure he's probably dead by now, but...
    Poor Buddy.

Thread-jack over.

We're just gonna let this go by with NO discussion about proper caliber/shot placement for a charging gorilla??

Top Bottom