• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know that I've ever seen this question posed on a forum before. Its actually a two-part question.

Question #1: When, if ever, is it OK to hold someone at gunpoint?

I'm thinking of a scenario where someone has broken into your home in the middle of the night, and you are awakened by noises in another part of your house. You grab your handgun/rifle/shotgun and go investigate the noise. Upon seeing the BG in your house your yell something like "freeze! I have a gun!" The BG throws up his hands and just stands there. NOW WHAT??

Do you hold him at gunpoint? Do you order him to leave your house, figuring that is better than waiting for the police? What would you do?

Question #2: What is the proper way to hold someone at gunpoint?

Is there an SOP for this? I've never read one in any gun magazine. What verbal commands should you issue? Should the BG lay down or stand up? Face up or face down? Where should his hands be? Should you engage in a verbal conversation during this time? How far away should you stand? Should you always be pointing your gun at the BG? Or just "nearby"? What if the BG becomes combative after he has time to think about his surrendering?

Any ideas??

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    For #1, i would say anything, once i figured it was an unwanted visitor in my house, they would be shot. But i guess if i did, i would make them lay on the ground with both hands on their head. I would have somebody then call the police and keep the criminal like this tell the police arrive.

I was never told to pull a gun unless you are going to use it. So i dont think i will ever have anybody at gun point.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    He is laying on the floor with hands on head. He decides otherwise and he is done.

How do you hold a BG at gunpoint? Loudly, with much vulgarity, and with unshakable readiness to end the threat.

I would not for a second take the front post off of the guy's body. Not until the LEO's are through the door and have their posts on him.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For #1, i would say anything, once i figured it was an unwanted visitor in my house, they would be shot.

What about if you just caught the intruder with your stereo in both hands on his way out to his truck? Would you shoot then? He isn't threatening you, but he IS inside your house.

But i guess if i did, i would make them lay on the ground with both hands on their head. I would have somebody then call the police and keep the criminal like this tell the police arrive.

Sounds good.

I was never told to pull a gun unless you are going to use it. So i dont think i will ever have anybody at gun point.

OK. So would you verbally just tell him to leave? Would you at least brandish the firearm?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone here. It just seems like it would be very possible for this to come up in the "real world". I'm asking so many questions so people will think.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    He is laying on the floor with hands on head. He decides otherwise and he is done.

What constitutes "decides otherwise"? Like if he says F.U. and walks out? Or do you mean like if he goes from laying down to getting up? If he is laying down and he starts to move, or get up, do you shoot him in the back? What if he makes a move for what looks like a weapon?

How do you hold a BG at gunpoint? Loudly, with much vulgarity, and with unshakable readiness to end the threat.

I can definately see that!

I would not for a second take the front post off of the guy's body. Not until the LEO's are through the door and have their posts on him.

OK. Where is your trigger finger? In register on the frame? Or on the trigger?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What constitutes "decides otherwise"? Like if he says F.U. and walks out? Or do you mean like if he goes from laying down to getting up? If he is laying down and he starts to move, or get up, do you shoot him in the back? What if he makes a move for what looks like a weapon?

I can definately see that!

OK. Where is your trigger finger? In register on the frame? Or on the trigger?

1. Guy is in my home and moves to go out an open door, likely let him go as the threat is going from bad to better. This assumes he is at least 21 feet from me.
    2. Guy is on his face and begins to get up. Likely shoot him. Threat is going from low to high. Getting up means likely attack or reach for weapon. Seriously, I will not allow him to get up.
    3. Where is my trigger finger? That depends on him and the threat level. And he is completely in control of the threat level.

Sure, you catch a guy heading out the door with your toaster it is not a great idea to put 00 Buckshot through his back nor would I. But that is about the only scenario where he does not either surrender immediately or get removed as a threat.

Also, keep in mind - hesitation kills. That and bad guys are more than able to shoot you as they go, it has happened to people before (both CCW and LEO). One guy over at Arfcom had a bad guy staring down the barrel of his .45 and turned to run. The Arfcommer hesitated just long enough for the running bad guy to take his gun and shoot at the good guy while running away (and in the process the BG went from an easy target to a hard one). Fill your mind with litigational fears and you may not pull the trigger when the time comes.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Interesting thoughts!

50+ views and only 6 posts, I know some of you are not saying much. . .

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    #1 Not sure how to get to this point except by verbal command while presenting handgun/firearm. If goblin chooses to fall on the floor or reach for the sky I am not going to shoot him out of spite.

#2 Very loudly as said before. Keeping him covered. I have been told before to be on the phone or have others calling while keeping goblin covered. When LEOs arrive raise weak hand while point weapon safely off of goblin but not far as you call for help from the officer. This will be a somewhat familiar with offers who regularly train under RSO or other range environments. This way you may not be perceived as much a threat while holding a weapon

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And for God's sake STAY OUT OF HIS RANGE! Drives me nuts when I see crap like that in the movies. "Gee, lemme get right up next to him where he can kick the gun out of my hand or something."

Unless, of course, you're planning to secure him with rope, belt, zip ties, cuffs, etc. Then, by all means, stand or kneel on his neck while you do so.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    The only downside I see to any of this, especially letting the person go, is the chance of them coming back. Once they know you are armed, they will either break in more quietly and/or come back with better defense / more people.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting thoughts!

Liability concerns?

WTF- I'll bite anyway.

If someone makes it past my security systems, I would confront and urge them forcefully to the floor hands behind their head, face down. I wouldn't let them look around. Any time they moved, I would show them the laser sight.

That being said, if they decided to leave at any time, I'd let them, with or without my stuff. Stuff can be replaced, that's what insurance is for. Even if there was no insurance, it wouldn't be worth the mental anguish of taking a life, let alone the litigation that could occur.

If they advanced on me, well they'd meet their maker.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    What about if you just caught the intruder with your stereo in both hands on his way out to his truck? Would you shoot then? He isn't threatening you, but he IS inside your house.

Thats one of the only reason i would not shoot. I would shoot if he makes any threat.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    How legal would it be to shoot his truck (pull a Richard Pryor "you ain't leavin' in this motha f*@#er!") as he (or she) is leaving the driveway. and then hold him at gun point in his truck until police arrived?

Doubt I would try this, but in the heat of the moment with adrenaline, fear and anger going... who knows, just another "what if" to throw on the pile.

-K

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How legal would it be to shoot his truck (pull a Richard Pryor "you ain't leavin' in this motha f*@#er!") as he (or she) is leaving the driveway. and then hold him at gun point in his truck until police arrived?

Doubt I would try this, but in the heat of the moment with adrenaline, fear and anger going... who knows, just another "what if" to throw on the pile.

-K

"Warning shots" are not legal in Indiana. Not to mention, you'd have to explain to a jury why you were attempting to shoot someone as they fled. Clearly your life is no longer in danger at that point.

Don't do it.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    It's hard to say what you would actually do when the situation came around. I would probably yell something like "freeze or die" and if he moved, for what I thought was a weapon, I'd shoot him.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If I find someone in my home, unvited in the middle of the night, it will be "...bang bang bang, call 911 honey..." I'll then hold his corpse at gunpoint until the police arrive.

INJoker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Interesting thoughts!

God forbid I ever have to drop a dude in my kitchen in the middle of the night, I don't want a DA getting on line and seeing how I've "laid out my plan to murder a poor criminal who was just trying to feed his family and wasn't really a threat to my life or the well-being of my loved ones."

Make sense now?

If my life is in danger I'm going to neutralize the threat no matter where we are or when it happens. I will never take another human life if I can reasonably avoid it. Outside of that, I don't have much to say.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    God forbid I ever have to drop a dude in my kitchen in the middle of the night, I don't want a DA getting on line and seeing how I've "laid out my plan to murder a poor criminal who was just trying to feed his family and wasn't really a threat to my life or the well-being of my loved ones."

Make sense now?

If my life is in danger I'm going to neutralize the threat no matter where we are or when it happens. I will never take another human life if I can reasonably avoid it. Outside of that, I don't have much to say.

And that is why we have the Castle Doctrine...

Top Bottom