• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    I work in a retail environment run very much like a small business. Typically 1-2 personnel on the clock at any one time. Often you are out on the floor helping customers or performing some cleaning task, rather than standing behind the cash register. At another of our stores, recently, a gentleman sneaked behind the cash register and - while kneeling on the ground to avoid being seen from the sales floor - began to empty the drawer into his pockets.

An employee of that store walked around the corner, and from about 30 feet away saw the guy behind the register. Their instinctual reaction was a "What are you doing?" They report being incredulous and shocked. Somewhere between "I can't believe he's doing that!" and "Is everything okay or did this guy trip?" The thief boldly continued to empty the drawer and say something about "I'm sorry, I have to do this." At no point did the thief physically threaten the employee.. but the employee didn't approach the thief any more after the initial verbal contact.

The employee backed away from the situation a few more feet, let the thief load up the rest of the money and leave, and then called the cops.

My initial reaction is relief that no one was hurt. My second is playing the situation out in my mind and trying to decide what I would do in that situation. So I'm curious...

What would you do?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No weapon, against the rules to carry on the clock, and not my $$? Talk sternly to him and hope he stops. If he runs away, so be it.

If he draws a weapon, its game on! Otherwise, follow company policy (no matter how insane) and let him walk. paper that belongs to somebody else isnt worth it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Verbal "get the **** out of here", call the cops and be ready to protect yourself. Unless you didn't mention it, no one is paying you to pull your weapon and protect the store.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What are the owner's policies for such incidents? If I'm an employee, I'll probably follow whatever the boss says do, as long as it doesn't threaten my life/well being.

If I can, yeah, I'm calling the cops (if no weapon is displayed) while he's loading up.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Owner's policy is full compliance and no interference with a robbery. However, they do allow CC with permit. No clear company policy on use of said weapon, but I would assume in defense of your own life, hostage situation, etc. I tend to agree with what's been said so far.. Just curious as to other opinions.

Thief has a large set and was there any security cameras to see his face or what he was taking?

QFT, chef larry.. huge brass ones apparently. Some DNA evidence recovered and some poor security camera footage. The cops were pretty excited about the DNA, so that's encouraging.

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    No threat of violence, I gain distance retain information about the suspect height, weight, identifiable features and markings, clothing, try to obtain license plate or direction of travel if feasible. Call for law enforcement when safe to do so. At anytime suspect displays violence and escalates the situation then defending myself by any means necessary would become appropriate.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Maybe a stern get outta here, but if he didn't have a weapon I don't think that would be a threat of serious bodily injury or death. Now if he starts in your direction with a crazy look in his eye, yeah, I'd pull then. The weapon he could end up with could be out of your holster.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just walk toward him with your cell phone taking pictures or video. That'll make him haul ass in a hurry. At least he wouldn't get all the money that way. Time to practice those weak hand cellphone drills.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's not a robbery. That's a theft. It's no different than a shoplifting, and the same level of force can be used. Ie, reasonable but not deadly force (assuming no escalation from the suspect that would otherwise justify deadly force). Store personnel can legally detain the suspect and notify police, and then turn custody over to the police upon arrival. Most states have some sort of "Shopkeeper's rights" and Indiana is no exception.

Now, what you can legally do and what your store policy limits you to are likely different.

Maybe a stern get outta here, but if he didn't have a weapon I don't think that would be a threat of serious bodily injury or death. Now if he starts in your direction with a crazy look in his eye, yeah, I'd pull then. The weapon he could end up with could be out of your holster.

Can you shoot someone for walking toward you with a crazy look in their eye? Is the gun in your hand a help or hindrance at that point?

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    That's not a robbery. That's a theft. It's no different than a shoplifting, and the same level of force can be used. Ie, reasonable but not deadly force (assuming no escalation from the suspect that would otherwise justify deadly force). Store personnel can legally detain the suspect and notify police, and then turn custody over to the police upon arrival. Most states have some sort of "Shopkeeper's rights" and Indiana is no exception.

Now, what you can legally do and what your store policy limits you to are likely different.

Can you shoot someone for walking toward you with a crazy look in their eye? Is the gun in your hand a help or hindrance at that point?

Im rather on the fence with this one. I think its hard to say what I would actually do without actually being there. Being able to size up the guy, read body language and behavior, and gut feeling plays big here. Hard to get that from just the story. Would I feel non threatened? Or would my gut scream "this is about to turn ugly." Who knows. My initial tendency beings hes not exactly stealing out of my pocket would be "Hey, you want a bag for your pile o' cash, sir? There ya go.. Thank you have a nice day!"

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'd have mag-dumped on that mother****er. And then curbstomped the corpse.

LOL.

I'd call the police and use cell to take a pic from a safe distance. No visible weapon does not equal no weapon, so I wouldn't approach any closer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd have mag-dumped on that mother****er. And then curbstomped the corpse.

:)

I might have done something a bit more brash but that is just me.
    Get on the phone with a description and direction of travel right away and let LEO's deal with the guy.
    If you have no hands on training leave them be and live to go home.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Does OP have any idea if he was armed or not? I'd guess no in such case I'd get out of there and call the police.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    No weapon, against the rules to carry on the clock, and not my $$? Talk sternly to him and hope he stops. If he runs away, so be it.

If he draws a weapon, its game on! Otherwise, follow company policy (no matter how insane) and let him walk. paper that belongs to somebody else isnt worth it.
    Exactly this. If it was my own personal shop that would be a different story. But if i'm just a cashier at Big Box Store #36752 i'm not going to pull my weapon the company says i shouldn't have on me if the guy isn't being a threat to anyone's safety.

Top Bottom