• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I don't wanna ankle carry!!! But... I see no alternative for me when I am wearing semi-dressy clothes. When I am casual, no problem, I can carry IWB and leave my shirt untucked. Same when *really* dressy, IWB and cover with jacket.

But when I am wearing khaki pants and a nice polo shirt (my normal "business attire" for my line of work, it is just impossible to carry IWB, even with tuckable models, and I am *not* going to pocket carry.

So does that leave me at ankle carry? Ugh! That does not sound appealing, but I guess I should not knock it until I have tried it, I guess.

Recommendations on an ankle carry holster? My EDC is a Sig P938. Is that too big? Do I need a little .380 pea shooter of some kind to really pull it off?

Thanks in advance.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    http://www.galcogunleather.com/ankle-glove-ankle-holster-_8_6_1019.html

Galco Ankle Glove (if they have it for your gun)
    Super comfortable! Use the Calf Strap if you plan on jumping around.
    I don't realize it's there sometimes.

I've carried a Colt Officers .45 and the Glock 26 w/ +3 extension.
    It's all about the pants and practicing your draw. :draw:

Also- Galco is pricey but you could buy others and then throw them in the reject pile before loving the Galco like everyone else does.
    Or just cry once.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I carry daily on my ankle. Not my preferred gun/holster combo but for the situation, it does the job.

Galco Ankle Lite and Ruger LCP and no one has made me yet. Even people who know I'm carrying aren't sure where the gun is.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Galco Glove. I wear my S&W 642 daily in one.

Galco Ankle Glove (if they have it for your gun)
    Super comfortable! Use the Calf Strap if you plan on jumping around.

Thanks guys. I am Ok with the price if it works as well as you say. The Galco site says both the Glove and the calf strap are back ordered. Is that their normal state (built to order sort of thing), or am I going to be waiting six months for these to get in stock? I actually have them both added to my cart, and I am ready to pull the trigger, but thought I'd ask if you happen to remember if this was the same situation when you ordered yours.

Any other options?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just walked into Midwest Guns in Elkhart and they had a few hanging in their stock for me. :rockwoot:

Ahhhh. Lucky you. I guess I could go ahead and place my order and see what happens within a week or two. I can always cancel my order if I get tired of waiting. I know Stealthgear takes a couple of weeks to make their holsters to order. I have two of them for two different guns, and with the second one, it took so long to get here, I actually forgot I ordered it! It showed up and I thought, "Now what the heck is this?" Doh!:n00b:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a Galco Ankle Glove, Smart Carry and Mika Pocket holster for my S&W642. These allow for a lot of options. The ankle holster is the least used of the 3 options and even then I only use it for BUG when I can carry a full size primary. The smart carry allows for the deepest concealment of the three options.

Last edited:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've made more concealed carriers in ankle holsters than any other type. Perhaps they are not bad when standing or walking, but sitting is often a problem when pant legs ride up. Just because no one tells you they saw your concealed carry doesn't mean they didn't.

RapidRounds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Sellersburg
    I don't wanna ankle carry!!! But... I see no alternative for me when I am wearing semi-dressy clothes. When I am casual, no problem, I can carry IWB and leave my shirt untucked. Same when *really* dressy, IWB and cover with jacket.

But when I am wearing khaki pants and a nice polo shirt (my normal "business attire" for my line of work, it is just impossible to carry IWB, even with tuckable models, and I am *not* going to pocket carry.

So does that leave me at ankle carry? Ugh! That does not sound appealing, but I guess I should not knock it until I have tried it, I guess.

Recommendations on an ankle carry holster? My EDC is a Sig P938. Is that too big? Do I need a little .380 pea shooter of some kind to really pull it off?

Thanks in advance.

I think you said it best. Don't knock it until you try it. However, I can't disagree with your initial reaction to ankle carry. I haven't tried it either. I feel my ankles are too skinny haha. My EDC is a P938 as well and it isn't what I would consider weighty/heavy for a gun of its size. I mean after all it is an alloy frame and steal slide. When you compare that to an S&W Air Weight 38 you aren't much heavier and you have 1 maybe 2 more rounds of capacity depending if you have the extended mag on your Sig. I'm sure if you ankle carry you can kiss the +1 mag extension goodbye. Something to consider would be not going cheap on the ankle rig. I remember years ago when I first started carrying I did that. My handgun at the time was a P239 40 Cal. Kind of bulky and on the heavy side but once I invested in a quality holster with 2 belt clips, and a 2 inch belt to distribute the weight I was amazed. I'm betting when it comes to the ankle it is really similar. If you finally decide to carry there keep us posted on your findings.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a Galco Ankle Glove, Smart Carry and Mika Pocket holster for my S&W642. These allow for a lot of options. The ankle holster is the least used of the 3 options and even then I only use it for BUG when I can carry a full size primary. The smart carry allows for the deepest concealment of the three options.

Thanks VERT, but I am just not a fan of appendix or pocket carry. I am sure they are fine for some, but I have tried both, and they are not to my liking.

I've made more concealed carriers in ankle holsters than any other type. Perhaps they are not bad when standing or walking, but sitting is often a problem when pant legs ride up. Just because no one tells you they saw your concealed carry doesn't mean they didn't.

I wondered about this!!! I have a buddy that ankle carries, but he is always wearing boots with his jeans. I am looking to ankle carry when wearing nice slacks or khakis and dress shoes, so I can see my pant leg riding up when sitting. I suppose I could get used to having to be discreet, just like I do with I am carrying IWB, and it will be just one more thing to get used to and to watch out for.

I think you said it best. Don't knock it until you try it. However, I can't disagree with your initial reaction to ankle carry. I haven't tried it either. I feel my ankles are too skinny haha. My EDC is a P938 as well and it isn't what I would consider weighty/heavy for a gun of its size. I mean after all it is an alloy frame and steal slide. When you compare that to an S&W Air Weight 38 you aren't much heavier and you have 1 maybe 2 more rounds of capacity depending if you have the extended mag on your Sig. I'm sure if you ankle carry you can kiss the +1 mag extension goodbye. Something to consider would be not going cheap on the ankle rig. I remember years ago when I first started carrying I did that. My handgun at the time was a P239 40 Cal. Kind of bulky and on the heavy side but once I invested in a quality holster with 2 belt clips, and a 2 inch belt to distribute the weight I was amazed. I'm betting when it comes to the ankle it is really similar. If you finally decide to carry there keep us posted on your findings.

Yep, quality always. I will certainly post back if I can ever get a holster!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not exactly the quickest draw, but if you really want deep concealment then a Thunderwear holster might be another option.

comfort2.jpg

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    in khaki pants and a polo, James, have you tried tucking the bottom of your shirt into the bottom of your belt?
    I've found this to be a great shirt-tucking option while carrying IWB and not wanting to print.
    I wear a crossbreed mini tuck at 4 oclock.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Not exactly the quickest draw, but if you really want deep concealment then a Thunderwear holster might be another option.

Thanks MCgrease, I just can't get along with an appendix carry, although I have tried some similar solutions, I have never actually tried the Thunderwear option. Besides the comfort and ergonomics issues, it scares me to have my weapon pointed at my privates and my femoral artery!

in khaki pants and a polo, James, have you tried tucking the bottom of your shirt into the bottom of your belt?
    I've found this to be a great shirt-tucking option while carrying IWB and not wanting to print.
    I wear a crossbreed mini tuck at 4 oclock.

I have tried a few things, like the tuckable IWB holsters (that I could not get to work correctly and printed like crazy). I can try your belt trick, but then aren't you covering your belt when you do that? That sounds like it might look strange.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I think there's a nickname (shirt bloom?) for when you tuck a shirt in then pull it out of the waistband a little and it kind of hangs over the belt line...that's what it looks like

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks MCgrease, I just can't get along with an appendix carry, although I have tried some similar solutions, I have never actually tried the Thunderwear option. Besides the comfort and ergonomics issues, it scares me to have my weapon pointed at my privates and my femoral artery!.

Thunder wear, smart carry and even pocket holsters do not neccesarily allow the gun to point at yourself. I have on a SmartCarry right now and if the gun were to discharge the bullet would burn my leg and end up in the filing cabinet beside me. I WOULD NOT carry a Glock or Shield or my PPS in a Smart Carry. Non ridgid holster equals no go for me. I never warmed up to pocket autos, the single stacks work best in tuckable holsters on the belt IMO.

I agree with your assessment of appendix carry. Not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom