• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It looks like the homeowner had a gun and was trying to deal with the suspect. This is why we are repeatedly trained in gun class to
    1) tell the 911 operator that you have a gun and
    2) be ready to drop that gun quickly when the police arrive

I can't speak to anything the officer did or did not do. But you never know how an officer is going to read a situation anyway. He can't see "good guy" reflecting from your forehead. Whether he is right or wrong, it's kind of like defensive driving to be ready to save your own life by acting accordingly.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bad situation all around.

This guy put the officer in a tough situation. If you call to report an armed robber in your front yard, it's best not to be standing outside with a gun in your hand when police arrive.

I'd be curious to know what type of commands the officer gave on arrival, if any.

Just a bad deal for everyone involved.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    to tell her husband. He came outside with a gun to chase the suspect.

When I tell you "don't get out of the boat", I mean it. I am not looking to take away your fun, or your right to be a Bearded Warrior or to be all Sheepdog as heck, but it is to save your life.

DON'T GET OUT OF THE BOAT.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I hate to hear this, lets hope the homeowner makes it. Hard lesson to learn.
    I wonder if the actual criminal can be charged in the shooting of the homeowner?

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    lets all keep calm and remember the most important thing to do is assume all the facts before they are released to the public

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hate to hear this, lets hope the homeowner makes it. Hard lesson to learn.
    I wonder if the actual criminal can be charged in the shooting of the homeowner?

I believe he probably can, if prosecution can attach the shooting to the criminal's commission of the crime.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is really one of my concerns when it comes to self defense and guns. There is likely to be a transition phase when LEOs come on the scene with limited information and even less knowledge about what's going on, and at the same time amped up on adrenalin.

That is how bad mistakes happen.

But, it is also part of the deal. Its a risk, one that can somewhat be mitigated, but the alternative is not particularly viable either.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Something isn't adding up here. It takes a while for the police to show up...by the time they get there isn't the perp already gone? The report says he's still at large - meaning he's no where to be found. So WHY was this guy still outside and handling his firearm? I'm not second guessing the poor guy because I wasn't there and know little to nothing about the situation. It seems, from the information given, by this time his firearm should have been reholstered and he inside consoling his wife by then.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    This is really one of my concerns when it comes to self defense and guns. There is likely to be a transition phase when LEOs come on the scene with limited information and even less knowledge about what's going on, and at the same time amped up on adrenalin.

But, it is also part of the deal. Its a risk, one that can somewhat be mitigated, but the alternative is not particularly viable either.
    I live in a small community and I make a solid effort to be on first name terms with the local patrol officers and that they know where I live. The way I figure it, it is really easy insurance against a misserved warrant or incident of this kind, especially since there are two other houses with addresses really similar to mine.

The only downside is that a bunch of them feel called to do "welfare checks" on my house every time they smell brisket or pork shoulder on the smoker:D

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

that's why when the lights and sirens get there you need to disarm yourself in a hurry! The good guys in blue need to find out what team you're on.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Something isn't adding up here. It takes a while for the police to show up...by the time they get there isn't the perp already gone? The report says he's still at large - meaning he's no where to be found. So WHY was this guy still outside and handling his firearm? I'm not second guessing the poor guy because I wasn't there and know little to nothing about the situation. It seems, from the information given, by this time his firearm should have been reholstered and he inside consoling his wife by then.
    At 38th and Germantown, it doesn't take long at all for IMPD to show up, especially on a violent felony call. I would guess that there was a unit less than two-three minutes away.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thread here on the Indianapolis subreddit if anyone wants to comment. I tried sharing some positions from this thread, but it wasn't received well.

reddit.com/r/indianapolis/comments/4z675z/impd_officers_shoot_homeowner_in_robbery_confusion/

Top Bottom