• ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Sheesh! Talk about restrictive!!!

We had our church's 25th anniversary celebration today (9/11) down at Banker's Life Fieldhouse. Metal detectors and searched everyone who entered. Apparently, on "normal" game days, women can't even bring a purse in there, you need a see-through plastic bag. Seriously?

I had to take my EDC back to the car, and then when I went through, they made me take my 2 pocket knives over to a security desk to check them in (at least I did not lose them). One is only a small 2.5" Swiss Army Knife.

It just seems crazy to me that they can be that restrictive. I guess it has been a long time since I have been there (not a basketball fan).

No desire to return...

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Carried there at TSO with no problem. :dunno:

That is interesting. We had the big metal detectors and the "empty the pockets" routine. In fact, even after I deposited my gun in my car lock box, I still had by IWB holster on, and it got picked up by the metal detector due to the metal belt clips. I had to take it off, and then about 3-4 guys were all standing around inspecting it trying to decide if there was something sinister about it and whether they should let me in with it or not.

Maybe the security checks are event-specific.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That is interesting. We had the big metal detectors and the "empty the pockets" routine. In fact, even after I deposited my gun in my car lock box, I still had by IWB holster on, and it got picked up by the metal detector due to the metal belt clips. I had to take it off, and then about 3-4 guys were all standing around inspecting it trying to decide if there was something sinister about it and whether they should let me in with it or not.

Maybe the security checks are event-specific.
    I'm sure they are as they would be an added expense.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe it's event specific. I took the family to the circus last year and no metal detector or empty pockets checkpoint.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I believe it's event specific. I took the family to the circus last year and no metal detector or empty pockets checkpoint.

Simple enough, their house their rules.

Agreed on both counts. Maybe because it was 9/11 they erred on the side of caution. I know people who open carry at church during a normal Sunday service, so I am sort of surprised that they would impose these restrictions, but like I said, maybe because it was 9/11 and they were offered the service as part of a package, they took it. Maybe because they had no idea what was normal, and BLF offered it as normal in order to jack up the price? Who knows, a million possibilities I guess.

I am just surprised. I carry at the Indian's games all the time (I am a big baseball fan) and carried at the Red's game earlier in the year (I am pretty sure I did... now that I think about it, I am not 100% sure).

I just hate being denied our rights, but as femurphy77 says, it is their house and it is my choice to attend.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I was there for that same event. Had to go back to the car myself. Pretty great service I thought. Wish I would have remembered sofr ear plugs though. I sat in a sound sweet spot that had a terrible screeching feedback/echo that caused my head to hurt. Wasn't until after I realized just 2 people over and they weren't getting it.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I took the kids to Disney on Ice last year. I made it through with with my knife which I put under my wallet and the passed it to me around the metal detector.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Went to pacers playoff game. I didn't carry but did set the metal dectectors off with my boots. Lady just asked if they were steel toes, which they were. No search or even raising my pant legs. I should really get an ankle holster.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I was there for that same event. Had to go back to the car myself. Pretty great service I thought. Wish I would have remembered sofr ear plugs though. I sat in a sound sweet spot that had a terrible screeching feedback/echo that caused my head to hurt. Wasn't until after I realized just 2 people over and they weren't getting it.

Of course I got the "I told you so" look from Mrs. Helix. And then by the time I had to hand over my knives, her arms were crossed, her foot was tapping, and by the look in her eye, I knew I was in going to get a bit of heck for making her wait an hour while they disarmed me! (Just for the record, she *did* tell me so!)

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    I belong to this church, but didn't make it to the event downtown. Based on some of the messages/sermons I've heard I feel they may lean towards anti-gun so I'm not shocked to hear about this, but maybe my interpretation is incorrect. Love this church though.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I belong to this church, but didn't make it to the event downtown. Based on some of the messages/sermons I've heard I feel they may lean towards anti-gun so I'm not shocked to hear about this, but maybe my interpretation is incorrect. Love this church though.

I think they do an amazing job of staying out of politics. They do emphasize the biblical aspects of helping others, charity, and even social justice but do not ever (in my recollection) even insinuate that it is anything other than an individuals choice to do so. Never a call to make rules (gov.) to try and handle a problem. My favorite quote from the church uses "we" to mean us as individuals: "we are God's plan A and there is no plan B". :-)

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    As others have guessed, I would think security is event specific. If that is the case, maybe the church decided there would be no weapons. Is there a no weapons policy at church on Sundays?

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    I think they do an amazing job of staying out of politics. They do emphasize the biblical aspects of helping others, charity, and even social justice but do not ever (in my recollection) even insinuate that it is anything other than an individuals choice to do so. Never a call to make rules (gov.) to try and handle a problem. My favorite quote from the church uses "we" to mean us as individuals: "we are God's plan A and there is no plan B". :-)

Good point. The one instance that comes to mind was right after the Paris rampage and the point was made that people are "arming themselves" at an ever-increasing pace. I made the unfounded leap that the church's view was anti-gun, which could be the case not so much as a political view but rather as a Christian belief to do unto others and sow the path of salvation.

Top Bottom