Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

People's Republic of Bankers Life Fieldhouse

Sheesh! Talk about restrictive!!!

We had our church's 25th anniversary celebration today (9/11) down at Banker's Life Fieldhouse. Metal detectors and searched everyone who entered. Apparently, on "normal" game days, women can't even bring a purse in there, you need a see-through plastic bag. Seriously?

I had to take my EDC back to the car, and then when I went through, they made me take my 2 pocket knives over to a security desk to check them in (at least I did not lose them). One is only a small 2.5" Swiss Army Knife.

It just seems crazy to me that they can be that restrictive. I guess it has been a long time since I have been there (not a basketball fan).

No desire to return...
    James

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte~

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

User Info Menu

As long as people keep going, they will continue to do stuff like this
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

Carried there at TSO with no problem.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)
    Mooresville #78 F. & A. M.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post
    Carried there at TSO with no problem.
    That is interesting. We had the big metal detectors and the "empty the pockets" routine. In fact, even after I deposited my gun in my car lock box, I still had by IWB holster on, and it got picked up by the metal detector due to the metal belt clips. I had to take it off, and then about 3-4 guys were all standing around inspecting it trying to decide if there was something sinister about it and whether they should let me in with it or not.

Maybe the security checks are event-specific.
    James

~Napoleon Bonaparte~

KLB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post
    That is interesting. We had the big metal detectors and the "empty the pockets" routine. In fact, even after I deposited my gun in my car lock box, I still had by IWB holster on, and it got picked up by the metal detector due to the metal belt clips. I had to take it off, and then about 3-4 guys were all standing around inspecting it trying to decide if there was something sinister about it and whether they should let me in with it or not.

Maybe the security checks are event-specific.
    I'm sure they are as they would be an added expense.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

User Info Menu

I believe it's event specific. I took the family to the circus last year and no metal detector or empty pockets checkpoint.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Simple enough, their house their rules.
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I believe it's event specific. I took the family to the circus last year and no metal detector or empty pockets checkpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by femurphy77 View Post
    Simple enough, their house their rules.
    Agreed on both counts. Maybe because it was 9/11 they erred on the side of caution. I know people who open carry at church during a normal Sunday service, so I am sort of surprised that they would impose these restrictions, but like I said, maybe because it was 9/11 and they were offered the service as part of a package, they took it. Maybe because they had no idea what was normal, and BLF offered it as normal in order to jack up the price? Who knows, a million possibilities I guess.

I am just surprised. I carry at the Indian's games all the time (I am a big baseball fan) and carried at the Red's game earlier in the year (I am pretty sure I did... now that I think about it, I am not 100% sure).

I just hate being denied our rights, but as femurphy77 says, it is their house and it is my choice to attend.
    James

~Napoleon Bonaparte~

User Info Menu

I was there for that same event. Had to go back to the car myself. Pretty great service I thought. Wish I would have remembered sofr ear plugs though. I sat in a sound sweet spot that had a terrible screeching feedback/echo that caused my head to hurt. Wasn't until after I realized just 2 people over and they weren't getting it.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

User Info Menu

I took the kids to Disney on Ice last year. I made it through with with my knife which I put under my wallet and the passed it to me around the metal detector.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast