• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am curious what "display" means to an officer. When I read it, my first thought is display as active not passive but could it mean simply in the holster open carry?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    "Display of office" could mean showing his badge or ID, or announcing "police."

Oh I am sorry, I think I read the concealed carry permit holder "displayed" a weapon was a statement made by an office. It was that I was curious about.

Time to go off to church though.

I am sure it will all be sorted out by the time I get back.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Don't have a gun in Chicago.
    Don't give the police crap.
    Stay the f out of Chicago

The interesting part to me, is if IF the permit guy did conduct himself correctly how the law about transport could be interpreted....

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Oh I am sorry, I think I read the concealed carry permit holder "displayed" a weapon was a statement made by an office. It was that I was curious about.

Time to go off to church though.

I am sure it will all be sorted out by the time I get back.

My bad. The guy either pulled up his shirt to show it or had it in his hand. Either way, not the smartest thing to do.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The interesting part to me, is if IF the permit guy did conduct himself correctly how the law about transport could be interpreted....
    If he exited the vehicle with the firearm then he wasn't protected by the transport portion the way I understand it.

Unless Chicago has decided to honor Indiana's LTCH now and I didn't hear about it.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    A little back round. That street 111th is the main route to the local cemeteries. There is a terrible problem with people in funeral processions brandishing, shooting guns, hanging out of car windows, blasting stereos, and causing general mayham on the way to gangbanger burials. It is a neighborhood that is full of city workers including cops. It is a low crime area with traditional middle class values. There are going to be a lot of stories with differing versions of what happened but I just want to give a picture of the area where it happened. I grew up very close to there and am very familiar with the area. I have eaten many times in the establishment where the off duty cop was dining before becoming involved in the incident.

Edit: I should add that in the account in the news story linked in the original post it stated that the incident started near the entrance of the cemetery. It is about a mile from where the shooting took place

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If he exited the vehicle with the firearm then he wasn't protected by the transport portion the way I understand it.

Unless Chicago has decided to honor Indiana's LTCH now and I didn't hear about it.
    As a general rule no, but if you're going to defend someone, what then? The family's story is that an off duty cop ran his sister off the road and at some point they stopped and he pointed his pistol at her.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As a general rule no, but if you're going to defend someone, what then? The family's story is that an off duty cop ran his sister off the road and at some point they stopped and he pointed his pistol at her.
    Then you best do it from inside the vehicle.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Taking the article at it's word, here is where Dead Guy and I part company:

"The sergeant stopped, got out of his vehicle, pulled out his own weapon and told the man to drop his weapon.

'As the incident continued to escalate and the offender failed to drop his weapon, shots were fired striking the individual multiple times,' a police press release states."

Put. The gun. Down.

As an aside, also know where you are. Chicago * gun + non resident = recipe for trouble.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was under the impression that an IN resident with a LTCH could exit their vehicle as long as they were in the direct area of their vehicle. In other words. If I stop to pump gas I am in the direct area of my vehicle.

I will be going through early in the morning headed to Lancaster, WI. I will be carrying, but don't plan on stopping in Chicago unless it's an emergency.

Edit:
    I just went to the IL State Police website. It says that if a nonresident leaves their vehicle unattended they must lock firearm in the car or in a lock box. I think the definition leaves some gray area whether or not you must remain in your car.

If I'm pumping gas my vehicle is being attended to. I go inside to pee then it's unattended.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Put. The gun. Down.

Better yet. Leave. The gun. In its holster.

Stop looking for excuses to play with it. In the bathroom. In public. On 111th Street in Chicago.

How many hunreds of threads have we had where people are looking for excuses to coonfinger the gun. Leave it alone. You don't get dead by leaving it be, especially if you are waving a gun around like a pudknocker in the high hundreds of Chicago.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Better yet. Leave. The gun. In its holster.

Stop looking for excuses to play with it. In the bathroom. In public. On 111th Street in Chicago.

How many hunreds of threads have we had where people are looking for excuses to coonfinger the gun. Leave it alone. You don't get dead by leaving it be, especially if you are waving a gun around like a pudknocker in the high hundreds of Chicago.

But I want to be a professional gun spinner. Think of how impressed everyone will be as I walk down the street.

[video=youtube;vqNAV5jxDPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNAV5jxDPg[/video]

[video=youtube;QIToGkRcb-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIToGkRcb-M[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But I want to be a professional gun spinner. Think of how impressed everyone will be as I walk down the street.

*sighs*

I know it is part of the evolutionary dominance dance to wave your guns around (it's a form of crotch display). But, 1. it's a crime, 2. it will get you shot seriously dead.

Top Bottom