• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm planning a trip and during that trip we want to visit the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum in Dayton. As far as I can tell the entire complex, even the parking lot, is a federal military base so it's not exactly lawful for civilian carry. I don't really want to risk any federal complications by taking even a slight chance of my firearm being found in my car (random vehicle searches are permitted as a condition of entry even though it probably never happens), but I don't exactly have a place I can leave my gun while we visit. So my choices are: take the chance (not happening), do the whole multi-day trip without my wife or I being armed, skip the destination, or find somewhere to temporarily keep my gun while we visit. Any ideas?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I'll actually say it; Its not the end of the world to not carry on that trip if you are that concerned. People survive daily without a firearm. Roll the dice. Odds are you'll be OK. (but by all means do what you feel comfy doing)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you're going to be visiting weekday business hours. Rent a safety deposit box. They aren't too much usually and quite possibly cheaper than a taxi or uber depending on how far away you have to park.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I have the same situation next month. My son graduates basic training from Fort Benning. We'll be gone all week (visiting other relatives on the way), and I'm not thrilled about being without a firearm. We may be checking out of the hotel the morning of graduation, so can't leave it in the room safe. I did email the hotel asking if they have a hotel safe, I could store a small lock box in for a few hours. I even asked a couple LGS if they could store it. One said no, haven't heard from the other. It's pretty aggravating that we can't make some type of arrangement with these bases for just the couple hours we are there.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    The hotel I stayed at in Erie, PA a several years ago (Red Roof Inn) locked my pistols in their safe while I & the now ex, went to Niagara Falls (NY & Canada). Picked the guns up on my way back through. Perhaps the hotel you stay at would do the same for you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have the same situation next month. My son graduates basic training from Fort Benning. We'll be gone all week (visiting other relatives on the way), and I'm not thrilled about being without a firearm. We may be checking out of the hotel the morning of graduation, so can't leave it in the room safe. I did email the hotel asking if they have a hotel safe, I could store a small lock box in for a few hours. I even asked a couple LGS if they could store it. One said no, haven't heard from the other. It's pretty aggravating that we can't make some type of arrangement with these bases for just the couple hours we are there.

Beware the LGS route. You may have to fill out a 4473 to get your property back I THINK. Im sure one of the resident LGS guys can confirm. Maybe contact a gunsmith in the area instead? I dont think they have to do that if you drop it off for minor service, wink wink, nudge nudge. ($20 for them to inspect it?)

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    It's just frustrating that for a few hours out of a trip I'm going to be at a "gun free zone" and that means I have to take crazy measures to be compliant with the law. It's ridiculous.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Here's a novel idea. Before you go to any great lengths or extreme measures, call Wright Patterson and see if you can talk to MPs, APs or whoever handles their security and ask what they recommend. You may be no better off than you are now but, who knows. Maybe they'll hold the guns for you. And, if they say they will, get a name! :):

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I do not think the museum is on the base, we stopped in June no signs in the parking lot so my Glock-27 went in the trunk.
    Inside the museum they have locker rental and signs, I had a prohibited bottle of water and a pocket knife, so back out to the lot they went too.
    Great museum.
    Ft Benning museum too and it's off base too.
    I kept my G-27 in my trunk when visiting both posts.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The Museum is technically not on an "active" part of the base. Interestingly enough, their webpage mentions firearms being prohibited WITHIN the Museum, but doesnt say on the property..

SECURITY NOTICE

[FONT=&amp]Please note that for security reasons, all bags are subject to search, and weapons are not permitted within the museum. In addition, all adults may be asked to show their picture identification card upon entering the museum.

[/FONT]

I dont remember ever seeing guards near the gates, let alone anyone being searched

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well I found a solution for myself at least. I'm a rather upstanding member of a local hotel chain's reward program and I asked if I could use one of their safety deposit boxes for a day and they're fine with it. I called the museum and couldn't get a straight answer, I'll try to do some exploring while I'm there.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Well I found a solution for myself at least. I'm a rather upstanding member of a local hotel chain's reward program and I asked if I could use one of their safety deposit boxes for a day and they're fine with it. I called the museum and couldn't get a straight answer, I'll try to do some exploring while I'm there.

That's great. Solved my Fort Benning situation as well. I switched hotels, and the new hotel is allowing me a 3:00PM late checkout so my firearm lock box can be stored in the safe, while we are at graduation. I can stop by and pick it up after graduation, on the way out of town.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    Here's a novel idea. Before you go to any great lengths or extreme measures, call Wright Patterson and see if you can talk to MPs, APs or whoever handles their security and ask what they recommend. You may be no better off than you are now but, who knows. Maybe they'll hold the guns for you. And, if they say they will, get a name! :):

Calling and asking in such situations is a great idea. The guardhouse at the prisons in my state will hold/lock-up firearms for lawyers making visits.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Back from Fort Benning, and I kept my firearm in my hotel room safe while on base. Honestly if I had chosen to do so, I could have easily had it in the trunk, under the seat, or even on me. Security seemed pretty lax to me. We went on base several times over 4 days, showed our ID's, and was waved through. It is a busy place with non stop traffic coming through the gates, and I never saw any vehicles being searched. I did call the Fort Benning police prior to arriving and asked about personal firearms being left in trunks. They made it clear none were allowed, no matter how they were stored. So I decided to leave it in the safe, it wasn't worth the risk, just in case..... While attending ceremonies and getting up and down, I did find myself checking my sweater and other covers to make sure it was pulled down over my belt, as if it were there. Then I would remember, it was just that phantom feeling.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

Any info from your trip? Looking forward to a trip in a few weeks.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Did some digging and found this on the museum website.

SECURITY NOTICE

[FONT=&amp]Please note that for security reasons, all bags are subject to search, and weapons are not permitted within the museum. In addition, all adults may be asked to show their picture identification card upon entering the museum.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Top Bottom