• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There may or may not be an INGOer with a similar scar from a similar modality of boomocity from a holstered sidearm.

Glad no one was seriously hurt.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    main-qimg-8407f91961196502be99b90d9c52e008-c

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It wasn't a finger but it also didn't just "go off" like many claim, the trigger was pulled and the pistol performed as designed. I don't think people on the board doubt that there can be mechanical manipulations of the trigger by foreign objects, many are just skeptical of the it just went off claims.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's truly rare for a gun to "go off" without the trigger being pulled...I mean really rare, but it can happen.

My uncle has a side-by-side 12ga that "just went off" with no finger on the trigger. When he closed the breach, it went off. Apparently when he opened it, some sort of debris or wear caused the sear not to retain one of the firing pins and when it closed after a reload...boom. I guess some would say that we should look at the breach every time you open the action to make sure the firing pin is retracted....but those people probably don't actually shoot.

This is why muzzle control is so important.

I've also heard that 870s can do something similar.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In researching the Winchester 1897 I inherited, it turns out there isn't a real safety on it (it was Glocked before there was a Glock) and it will slam fire if you hold the trigger and close the action on a live round.

Now, yes, that does require the trigger to be depressed. But, it is also a small step away from a malfunction/other cause for the trigger to not reset and slam fire.

Muzzle discipline agreement.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Don't use stupid Holsters and your gun won't go bang.

I know of a guy, an INGOer no less, who had his holstered Glock shoot him in the leg as he got into a vehicle. The holster caught on the B-pillar and it caused the holster to flex enough to cause the trigger pull.

The holster: A Raven Concealment Systems Phantom. Hardly a stupid holster.

I do not know him personally, but a friend of mine does and was first-hand witness to the incident. And even if I could remember the screen name I was told - I wouldn't reveal it.

Even some of the "best" holsters on the planet can still have issues.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's truly rare for a gun to "go off" without the trigger being pulled...I mean really rare, but it can happen.

My uncle has a side-by-side 12ga that "just went off" with no finger on the trigger. When he closed the breach, it went off. Apparently when he opened it, some sort of debris or wear caused the sear not to retain one of the firing pins and when it closed after a reload...boom. I guess some would say that we should look at the breach every time you open the action to make sure the firing pin is retracted....but those people probably don't actually shoot.

This is why muzzle control is so important.

I've also heard that 870s can do something similar.

Dad had a model 12 that went bang pumping it about one out of five times...We took it to the range, went through a box of shells, it was consistent...Dad took it apart, put it under the bed and it has been there ever since...He won't sell it or trade it and just considers it a loss...He had two gunsmiths work on it but whenever we tested it it would do the same thing...Rare but it happens...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    In researching the Winchester 1897 I inherited, it turns out there isn't a real safety on it (it was Glocked before there was a Glock) and it will slam fire if you hold the trigger and close the action on a live round.

Now, yes, that does require the trigger to be depressed. But, it is also a small step away from a malfunction/other cause for the trigger to not reset and slam fire.

Muzzle discipline agreement.

The 97 Winchester is one of the original "widowmakers". No firing pin rebound spring. Timing could be adjusted or worn to allow out-of-battery discharges. External hammer.

It was notorious for firing when it fell over (hunters leaned many on fenceposts when crossing and many homeowners kept one next to the kitchen stove) or was dropped.

Over 1 million were produced, so it's likely to develop a reputation beyond actual statistics.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    My superannuated status being what it is, I started in law enforcement when we all still carried sixguns.

On two separate occasions during my tenure I looked at brother officers (sister officers did not yet exist) and noted that their Model 10 M&P .38s were COCKED in their holsters.

On each occasion we had been making sweeps of wooded areas in search of suspects and the officers had unsnapped their holsters as a precaution. Their guns had been cocked by brush catching the hammers.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I know of a guy, an INGOer no less, who had his holstered Glock shoot him in the leg as he got into a vehicle. The holster caught on the B-pillar and it caused the holster to flex enough to cause the trigger pull.

I do not know him personally, but a friend of mine does and was first-hand witness to the incident. And even if I could remember the screen name I was told - I wouldn't reveal it.

That is scary. I wonder if the trigger being molded into the kydex had any affect in that scenario. Most of the kydex I've seen there is no trigger in the mold. I seen Ravens phantom VP9 model does not have the trigger molded in but the Glock do.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I had a caplock muzzleloader that would drop the hammer about 40 seconds after you cocked it if you tightened the side plate screw down too tight. First time it happened it caused me to shoot over a deer.

bubbazap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Southern Indiana

But as with the OP something actuated the trigger. It did not just go off on it's own

Top Bottom