• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    In the competition / personal carry / tactical training worlds it seems like it is almost universally understood that revolvers are dated and impractical for defensive shooting. People seem down right dismissive. These are the same people who train with full size competition pistols they never actually conceal carry, while shooting ammo they'll never keep in their carry gun, and with gear they never wear on the street. I am just wondering what Indiana Gun Owners thinks of carrying a revolver for defensive shooting? I don't just mean deep concealment, it can be winter carry setups like I've attached here. Are they really as ineffective from a tactical standpoint as many people think? Do you carry a revolver setup (if so post yours!)?

My daily winter carry for the time being:
    S&W 686 SSR 4" 6 rnds / Galco Outdoorsmen Double Action / Hanks Gunner Belt 1.5"
    IMG_5765.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well trodden ground. Lengthy discussion here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/393716-do-revolvers-suck.html

In short, it depends. I'm not finding people dead with empty revolvers in their hands. If you can draw it smoothly and quickly and make good hits with it under pressure CONSISTENTLY, carry it. I carried a revolver for quite awhile, and if the situation dictates it have no issues going back to one.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Carry whatever you feel comfortable with using if the need arises. I personally don't carry a revolver, I went with a single stack 9mm Shield instead. I have considered a J-frame as well.

As to your point about people training/competing with full size guns they don't carry...I only have 1 word: chezuki

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well trodden ground. Lengthy discussion here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/393716-do-revolvers-suck.html

In short, it depends. I'm not finding people dead with empty revolvers in their hands. If you can draw it smoothly and quickly and make good hits with it under pressure CONSISTENTLY, carry it. I carried a revolver for quite awhile, and if the situation dictates it have no issues going back to one.

Oh good times....good times. Revolvers suck and will get you killed in the streets unless the don't. :ugh:

OP I rarely carry my revolver anymore instead opting for the thinner bottom feeder on my belt. But I never feel unarmed with a tuned up J frame in my pocket.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I carry a full size auto, but I would in no way feel undergunned with a quality revolver, particularly not with that beautiful 686 of yours.
    Even with all the great advances in ammo and bullet technology over the last thirty years, .357 Magnum with top loads still leads the pack by a small margin over all other conventional handgun calibers for one shot stops when the shooter does his part.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    IDK, for 95% of what most people need a gun for for defensive uses, I.E. Civilian CCW and home defense during normal times, a revolver works fine. In alot of cases just having the gun out makes a criminal decide to **** off, and in the rare cases it doesnt one or two shots is enough "rethink their life decisions" hahaha.

Also, carrying while out in the woods like when camping or hunting or hiking or whatever, a revolver also makes good sense as you can carry a longer barreled/larger framed revolver and with single action extend the range out a bit and also shoot big bore rounds for dealing with wildlife (though thats more other states then Indiana)

Where the revolver falls down is in higher itensity type of situations (and not like an apocalypse SHTF), but things like riots/civil unrrest, a mass shooter or lone wolf terror attack or something else gnarly or if you are expecting multiple people for some reason (or if you are an LE using a handgun as a duty weapon I guess too)

At least for me, with the double action trigger and higher bore axis, I shoot revolvers noticably slower then semi-autos, and reloads are slower too. Now also I have started shooting semi autos competitively and drilling dry pratice, my reloads and weapon manipulation has increased alot and the revolver for me is left in the dust.

To put it another way, I conceptional have two methods of carry, inspired by a good friend of mine and gunwriter who shall remain nameless : Deep cover/EDC carry and "Heavy Carry"

Deep cover carry is pretty much what most regular CCW people do, where you have one smallish gun and maybe a knife and that is it, this can be your EDC or something that is carried in a low expected threat. For me this is a bulgarian makarov loaded with ball and a spare magazine either in a Russian IWB holster or a outer coat pocket in cold weather, and alot of people in this catagory like to carry snub nose revolvers and small .380s and 9mms, like S&W shields, Ruger LCPs and LC9s, all of kel tecs offerings, glock 43, kahr's various carry guns ETC ETC. WIth this setup, your not expecting to get in a gunfight with ISIS, but rather just chase off a mugger or a common criminal, maybe two

Heavy carry is something that is what most people would shoot IDPA with, I.E. a medium to large frame auto carried IWB or OWB on the belt or in a shoulder holster(which I would only recommend in a car) usually a few reloads, a jacket or sweater as a cover garment maybe a fixed blade knife. Say there was a SHTF type scenario, like a Ferguson or a Hurricane Katrina or you were expecting trouble for some reason, or if your worried about a mass shooter/lone wolf islamist and want more firepower, but still want some concealment and the element of surprise. This would be something where a glock 19, the "compact" service pistols and smaller service semi autos like BHPs and 1911s (their thin), etc etc etc.

So where this is all going is for the first category of carry, I would be perfectly happy with a revolver, with the second catagory not so much. In fact I have a friend of mine who works in Indy this semester who is getting his CCW and wants to get a revolver as his first gun(lol, he's a democrat) to keep in the car and occasionally carry, and Im perfectly happy recommending him a medium sized snub like a 2.5 inch K frame or SP101.

WHich is also getting into why I don't like really tiny guns like J frames or stuff like the berretta Nano/pic because I think if you carry a gun, it should still be big enough to fight with, I.E. you can get your whole hand on it, you can make good hits, and its actually not painful/uncomfortable but fun to shoot so you go out and practice with it. For example, I inherited a scandium .357 J frame and after me and my dad firing only a cyilinder, I wonder why that gun was made or if anyone bought one, or if anyone was a masocist enough to consistently practice and become good with it. Not to mention with the 1.8 barrel RIP your hearing if you ever had to use it in a self defense situation in a car or a building

Pic Related

cwu6995.jpg

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have carried revolvers since 1982. I also carry Glocks, and 1911A1s. Sometimes during a stint as a LEO, I carried a 442 S&W Snub, and a Duty Weapon: Glock 19/ or 21.
    They have always worked, shoot to aim, used JHP rounds without issue.

Civilian carry(CCW) usually means no backup, no radio, no arrest powers. I believe the 9mm/ 40cal/ 45ACP, all work well, Hicap is easier to be prepped for multiple aggressors.

Sometimes I feel nostalgic, so I get out my S&W M10, 4in, Blued 38 spec. My favorite rig is a Bianchi Black Widow holster(catchy name for revolver carriers), and strap up my snubbie in a cross draw leather holster. Do I feel under gunned? Nope.

Carry what you want. I have considered going to a 357mag on occasion, but the autoloaders seem to cover that option when I look at the cost of new revolvers. Add on 13-15 rounds capacity, not really an option for me.
    Good luck.

Last edited:

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    I would need feel under gunned with a revolver. But I must also consider the current threats of our day. A few years ago you only really had to worry about the common thug. Now a terrorist threat, with possibly multiple shooters makes me want to carry a full load of 9 mm with at least one reload.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    It's funny to me that otherwise smart people will criticize a revolver then carry a 1911?

All the people that were killed by a revolver did not come back to life when the Glock was invented!

I do not feel undergunned with a revolver my woods companion is a 4 in nickel M19.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    i like autos, i carry autos, but for some reason i shoot 6 shooters better. dont feel under gunned packin one . or 2.

It's likely the grips. Revolvers don't have to worry about having a magazine in the middle of your fist somewhere, so shape and size are much more flexible. There's a HUGE difference in shooting my Colt DS with skinny smooth wood grips vs big fat rubbery pachy grips.

I still shoot the LCR better than the Shield. The Shield is slicker and doesn't fit my hand as well. The LCR grip is tackier (in the grippy way, not the fashionable way) and fits my hand better. The LCR front sight lifts straight up under recoil in my hand. The Shield kicks up and right, making it harder to track.

I've also found revolvers to be more forgiving of the panic grip. I'll push low left with a Glock 22 well before I do with a GP100 Match Champion. The big fat wooden grip with palm swells just sticks in my hand better doesn't feel like it hates me and is trying to escape, and I don't feel like I have to strangle it to keep it from getting away.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    When I do carry, it's my LCR or one of my J-frames. I've bought and sold a couple of compact semi-autos and just have not felt comfortable carrying them.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    A lot depends on what you're used to. Back in the day I occasionally had to respond to a scene to assist one of my men who had encountered a semi-auto at a crime scene and didn't know how to unload it. Veteran officers who were youngsters that I broke in years ago tell me that THEY have officers under their command who don't know how to unload a revolver.

I carry a 1911 these days, largely owing to the terrorist situation, as others have noted. When in bear country I ADD a Model 29 for quadrapedal threats. I am, of course, comfortable with both. I'm sure this is not the case with many of the younger crowd.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Very similar to one of my EDC's:

5536009_01_smith_wesson_airweight_hammerl_640.jpg

Easily hidden with a kydex paddle.

Been thinking about a Doc Holiday to carry one of my Vaquero's when wearing a suit/jacket...just because.

EP+Saddlery+DOc+Holiday+Shoulder+Holster.jpg

Top Bottom