Not open for further replies.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Details are sketchy, as the investigation appears to be ongoing, but it sounds like another variation on the theme of, "if you don't want to get hurt, don't fight the nice officer."

Some citizens truly believe that when what the officer does not fit the often-limited understanding of what is legal, they are entitled to fight to protect themselves and their rights. However, my personal experience from when I was doing that kind of work myself, and, later, investigating those incidents is that most of the people fighting are stupid or desperate or just plain "ain't gonna do" what the officer tells them to.

If one believes the officer is making a mistake, the place to sort it out is through administrative investigations and/or the courts, especially if the deprivation of a right is involved. Attempting to dispense justice at roadside just tends to get people hurt, sometimes hurt bad. This event is only the most recent where citizen (admirably, I might add) came to the assistance of LEO's in bad positions, and at least two of the perpetrators ended up getting dead because of a) their very poor choices, and b) the presence of an armed citizen who rose to his or her societal moral (but maybe not legal) obligation to help.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    And, one more thing to add.... after investigating police action shootings (again, in my prior life before retirement), I realized that I did not want to become one of those who made the world a slightly better place by getting themselves killed dead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom