• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    It's not just about have ammunition. The magazine are wear parts and can fail. It's about keeping your pistol operational. Plus, the only time you can have too much ammo is when you are trying to swim.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It's not just about have ammunition. The magazine are wear parts and can fail. It's about keeping your pistol operational. Plus, the only time you can have too much ammo is when you are trying to swim.
    This is why I always carry at least one extra in my pocket. It may malfunction. You may hit the mag release accidentally and it ends up under a car or down through a grate. I think carrying an extra to get you back in the game is cheap insurance.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Downside to carrying an extra mag is weight and loss of space on your person.

Downside to not carrying one could possibility mean your life or a loved ones life.

I have got into the habbit of carrying one. Not for the fact that I'll need the ammo (if I know I'm headed into a gunfight, I'm taking my rifle. And that's only IF I go. Best way to win a gunfight is not to be there.) I'm more worried about a malfunction than running out of ammo.

My 2 EDC's are a 9+1 and a 19+1.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When I've carried a G19, then I didn't worry about a spare mag. I'd often carry one, but I wouldn't be worried if I didn't have it on me. When I carry my 9mm shield I absolutely carry a spare mag and don't feel as comfortable without one. 7rd mag in the gun, spare 8rd mag in the pocket.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I had a mag fail in a defensive handgun class about 6-7 years ago - I wasn't carrying a spare mag regularly at that point but I have carried one consistently since then. Still carrying the same handgun as I was during that class.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dunno what you carry. Some want 18+1 and 3 spare mags. Some carry a 5 round j-frame and feel fine. Its up to you.

This. Carry what you want. I carry a spare mag in my center console and several in my go bag. But not on my person. I might toss an extra in my Maxpedition if I'm carrying that. 14 rounds is better than nothing. Heck, if all you can carry is a 22 pocket derringer, its better than a dull spoon, ya know?

I'd rather EDC what I am comfortable with, than ALMOST EDC and get caught out because the SHTF on the day I didnt feel like strapping on all the hardware because its inconvenient.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I carry an extra mag with my holster for the most part constantly. If my holster changes I usually throw one in my pocket. I have a mag holster for my belt but I found myself never really using it. I think it's smart to carry an extra mag for sure. I'd hit up a training class. Then you can decide for yourself.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You don't carry an extra mag for the extra ammo.
    If your primary EDC gun is a G18 with a 33rds mag you would still want a spare mag.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is why I always carry at least one extra in my pocket. It may malfunction. You may hit the mag release accidentally and it ends up under a car or down through a grate. I think carrying an extra to get you back in the game is cheap insurance.

It is surprisingly easy to accidentally press the mag release on some guns under stress. You may never know it when you're taking your time with marksmanship practice with a perfect grip. Add a timer, movement, multiple targets, reloads, etc. and things get a little more complicated and that perfect grip can stray a little.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is surprisingly easy to accidentally press the mag release on some guns under stress. You may never know it when you're taking your time with marksmanship practice with a perfect grip. Add a timer, movement, multiple targets, reloads, etc. and things get a little more complicated and that perfect grip can stray a little.

As much as this pains me, he's right.

I see many defensive gun uses where the mag ends up under the user's feet.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Downside to carrying an extra mag is weight and loss of space on your person.

Downside to not carrying one could possibility mean your life or a loved ones life.

I have got into the habbit of carrying one. Not for the fact that I'll need the ammo (if I know I'm headed into a gunfight, I'm taking my rifle. And that's only IF I go. Best way to win a gunfight is not to be there.) I'm more worried about a malfunction than running out of ammo.

My 2 EDC's are a 9+1 and a 19+1.

Out of curiosity, what do you carry that has 19+1 capacity?

Top Bottom