• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gundogblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Wabash
    When I moved to Indiana 18 months ago, I had, and still have a valid Utah carry license, but I'm a law abiding man and while I read Indiana accepts the Utah license I wanted to make sure so right after I got my Indiana drivers license I went in person to the county police dept and asked them if my Utah license was good in Indiana, and they told me yep, it's gold. Well I live in Indian, I'm a legal resident of Indiana, I'm a full fledged Hoosier, and I want the Indiana conceal carry license. Yesterday I applied for it on line, and made the appointment to get my finger prints done and electronically filed with the Indiana state police. While I was applying I read the Indiana laws, it it states an out of state
    license is good only if the person with the out of state license is a resident of the licensing state, and Indiana residents must have an Indiana conceal carry license. I may be wrong here but I take that as Indiana recognizes the Utah license only if the person holding the license is from Utah, am I correct?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    You are correct that an out of state license, permit etc, is no good in Indiana if you are a resident. However, Indiana does not have a " conceal carry license", we have a license to carry a handgun. It does not need to be concealed.

Gundogblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Wabash
    Thanks for the info. This means the Nano is grounded until the license comes in and from what I understand it takes about 2 months from strart to finish, and I just started the process yesterday.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks for the info. This means the Nano is grounded until the license comes in and from what I understand it takes about 2 months from strart to finish, and I just started the process yesterday.

Yep, to confirm Kelly, I know someone who applied the 1st week of Feb and it took 17 days...

Yeah, my youngest applied for his back last December and I bet he got his in a week or two. I was shocked he got it so fast.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When I moved to Indiana 18 months ago, I had, and still have a valid Utah carry license, but I'm a law abiding man and while I read Indiana accepts the Utah license I wanted to make sure so right after I got my Indiana drivers license I went in person to the county police dept and asked them if my Utah license was good in Indiana, and they told me yep, it's gold. Well I live in Indian, I'm a legal resident of Indiana, I'm a full fledged Hoosier, and I want the Indiana conceal carry license. Yesterday I applied for it on line, and made the appointment to get my finger prints done and electronically filed with the Indiana state police. While I was applying I read the Indiana laws, it it states an out of state
    license is good only if the person with the out of state license is a resident of the licensing state, and Indiana residents must have an Indiana conceal carry license. I may be wrong here but I take that as Indiana recognizes the Utah license only if the person holding the license is from Utah, am I correct?

Keep in mind that Indiana recognizes all other states' licenses and permits. So, if you live in Oklahoma and have an Oklahoma permit but got a Utah permit for extra states (for the sake of an example) it got you, in Indiana, it doesn't matter. We recognize OK's permits so getting the Utah license does no good here. If you got that one instead of your home states' permit though...you're screwed.

Gundogblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Wabash
    Ok i put in the application on Thursday, and I have an appointment this Monday to get finger printed, and electrically filed with the Indiana state police, so what's next in this process? At some point will I have to go see the county sheriff?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ok i put in the application on Thursday, and I have an appointment this Monday to get finger printed, and electrically filed with the Indiana state police, so what's next in this process? At some point will I have to go see the county sheriff?

Just follow the steps at the link. It's pretty straight forward.

ISP: Apply for a New License to Carry

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One thing I didnt see covered. Your Utah is probably not good anymore because its a Utah resident license. Since you are no longer a resident of Utah and are now a resident of IN, I would assume your Utah is no longer valid. Since Utah resident permit is contingent on you being a resident, I presume you no longer fit the requirements to hold that license. That presumption is based on the fact that I cant get a resident permit since I dont live there and had to get a Utah non resident permit.

Now you might be able to convert it to Utah Non Resident. That one used to be really popular with Hoosiers because it used to be required for carry in OH since they didnt recognize ours. But I think you have to have your Indiana LTCH first to get the Utah non resident.

So if you are carrying assuming your Utah Resident covers you, check carefully that you are still indeed legal.
    But You should have your LTCH shortly as the panic and backlog is gone for the most part. A quick call to the Utah Dept of Public Safety should flesh that out pretty quick. "I permanently moved out of state. Is my Utah Resident permit still valid now that I am a legal resident of Indana?"

EDIT: If you didnt move from Utah, its probably still not valid as a non resident because once again whatever state you came from probably no longer recognizes your home state resident permit, and without that the non resident Utah isnt valid. (but should be valid again Once you get your Indiana LTCH) I know this comes up that there is vagueness in how Indiana's law is written that some interpret that the Indiana lifetime is a lifetime even if you move out if Indiana. But I wouldnt want to be the test case for that one.

For clarity:
    Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. You are considered a resident of whichever state issued your ID. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/how-do-i-apply-for-a-concealed-firearm-permit/

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I may be wrong here but I take that as Indiana recognizes the Utah license only if the person holding the license is from Utah, am I correct?

Indiana recognizes all licenses/permits/etc as long as the person is not a resident of IN. If you are a IN resident you have to have the LTCH.

Keep in mind that Indiana recognizes all other states' licenses and permits. So, if you live in Oklahoma and have an Oklahoma permit but got a Utah permit for extra states (for the sake of an example) it got you, in Indiana, it doesn't matter. We recognize OK's permits so getting the Utah license does no good here. If you got that one instead of your home states' permit though...you're screwed.

Not quite sure what you mean. IN recognizes non-res licenses/permits. Say for instance a IL resident before they started issuing got a non-res from another state, IN wouldl recognize it. Or even if an IL res has a non-res from another state now that IL issues them, it would still be valid for IN even if they didn't have the IL license.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not quite sure what you mean. IN recognizes non-res licenses/permits. Say for instance a IL resident before they started issuing got a non-res from another state, IN wouldl recognize it. Or even if an IL res has a non-res from another state now that IL issues them, it would still be valid for IN even if they didn't have the IL license.

Maybe I'm misremembering.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Maybe I'm misremembering.

Here is the IC that covers it. Nothing in it disallows non-res licenses.
    IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry
    handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or
    foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales
    at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign
    countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only
    while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

First, :welcome: to Indiana and :welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:
    Second, as Tim said:

Indiana recognizes all licenses/permits/etc as long as the person is not a resident of IN. If you are a IN resident you have to have the LTCH....

I have my IN LTCH and also a Utah CFP. The benefit here is that the Indiana covers me for 33 states
    (AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA,
    ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME,
    MI, MS, MO, MT, NH, NC, ND,
    OH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT,
    VT, VA, WV, WI, and WY )

and the UT covers me in four more: DE, NE, NV, WA,

leaving only CA, CT, HI, IL, MD, MA
    MN, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, SC as places I cannot legally carry my pistol.

You'll be good to go when your LTCH shows up. Carry however you like at that time. Until then, abide by the law and carry only where you lawfully can.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The West Virginia state attorney general website and their state police website do not list Indiana as one of the states licenses they honor? But several other sources say yes they do. I'm confused.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Just get the Utah non-resident to go with your Indiana license...that's what I did.

Top Bottom